PDA

View Full Version : D@D ruleset major changes over the years (history of D@D) list of changes

Rabidbat
July 14th, 2018, 18:30
Hi I was wondering if anyone has compiled a list of the major changes in D@D rulesets from 1E to 5E editions. I'm trying to figure out which rule set I like the best. Thanks!

dberkompas
July 14th, 2018, 18:34
Choosing what you like best seems like it would be a waste of time. Older rulesets of course have fewer players, limiting your playing choices.

D&D 5E is the closest I've come to what I fondly remember of 2E. I never played any other version, until I tried Pathfinder, which I tried 3 times and dropped it, it just wasn't for me.

If you want to try the older rulesets, then you should check out Castles & Crusades, more players, and very much like early D&D editions.

Best of luck in your search!

Dave

Trenloe
July 14th, 2018, 19:51
Search the Internet for terms like D&D version history

Rabidbat
July 15th, 2018, 23:33
Thanks I'll try that, I just thought someone here might have done it. :0

shadzar
November 7th, 2018, 16:05
I just thought someone here might have done it. :0

I did. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Editions_of_Dungeons_%26_Dragons
worked on it for 2 years throughout 4th, then the community took it over to "uniform" with other articles... so you can find data missing in the current form in the revision history, if something is badly missing.

GavinRuneblade
November 8th, 2018, 07:02
I'll toss out a second to dberkompas' suggestion to look at C&C as an option that has more players.

Also, for myself, I retain a deep fondness for BECMI.

celestian
November 8th, 2018, 16:29
Hi I was wondering if anyone has compiled a list of the major changes in D@D rulesets from 1E to 5E editions. I'm trying to figure out which rule set I like the best. Thanks!

I can tell you that the 5E and AD&D Core ruleset are pretty damn close to the same outside of the specific mechanics for each system. Layout, use and functionality otherwise is quite quite similar (intentionally). There are some differences but for the most part they are the same.

AD&D Core will support your 1e/2e games fairly well.

That said, the 5E guys can buy content from FG for it. AD&D Core doesn't have that luxury. To do so Hasbro/WoTC would need to license AD&D to FG/Smiteworks. Contact your favorite Wotc person and ask them too do so!