PDA

View Full Version : Exporting a custom race

Razorstorm
July 11th, 2018, 20:12
I have made a custom race in a campaign that I specifically set up for purposes of module creation. I want to export or somehow transfer that race into another campaign. Is this possible? So far, the best thing I've been able to do is to create a default PC with that race, and then export that PC and use that PC as the foundation for the character to be built, but it seems like there should be a better way...

For context, I am extremely new to Fantasy Grounds, and so please forgive any misunderstandings I may have!

Zacchaeus
July 11th, 2018, 20:56
Hi Razorstorm welcome to FG.

Yes, this is possible. Type \export into chat and press return. Fill in the boxes at the top and then tick the races checkbox then press ok.

Trenloe
July 11th, 2018, 23:57
Welcome to the forums!

Information on exporting a module is available in the user guide here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Library#Module_Export

Razorstorm
July 12th, 2018, 03:42
Okay, I was able to get it to work!
@Trenloe - I had read that article before, but I wasn't clear where to then find my export. I see it now in the Modules menu. I feel like that export article could just use a last bit that explains where your export goes. Thanks for your help!

Trenloe
July 12th, 2018, 06:42
I feel like that export article could just use a last bit that explains where your export goes.
I'm not sure what you mean here. Could you provide more details please?

Razorstorm
July 12th, 2018, 19:07
I'm not sure what you mean here. Could you provide more details please?

Absolutely! (Also - I recognize that you as a moderator, this may not be your bag to carry, but hopefully the feedback can get directed the right direction.)

I had read that article several times prior to posting. But I would get to the end of the article and have no idea what to do next. The questions I was facing are like these:
"Did I do that right? Did it work? What am I looking for to know that it happened?" (I eventually noticed the message in Chat.)
"Exported where? Where do I find it?" (I eventually found it in the file structure, but it took significant searching.)
"Now that it's exported how do I bring it into another campaign?" (I eventually realized that it could be selected in the Modules menu, but this was not self-evident.)

It seems like an example of and export would have cleared up a lot, but in general it feels like the article is just making a bunch of assumptions about stuff that may seem obvious for an experienced user, but isn't for a beginner.

Thanks for all your help!

Zacchaeus
July 12th, 2018, 19:22
The article in the Wiki is all about the Library and Modules. So it explains what a module is and how to activate it; at the end it then shows you how to export and create your own modules. So taken in context answers to your 2nd and 3rd question should be clear.

I'll take a note though and see if the article can be improved upon.

Trenloe
July 12th, 2018, 19:44
Thanks for the feedback Razorstorm

I've made a minor update at the end of the reference page. But, as Zacchaeus mentions, all of the information on that page should be referenced together as the same context.