PDA

View Full Version : /die damage type?

xxXEliteXxx
July 10th, 2018, 20:04
Hello!
I'm typing to figure out a way to add a damage type to the /die command. A few people on the forums have implied that this is possible using
/die 2d4 [DAMAGE] [TYPE: fire]
or
/die 2d4 [TYPE: fire]
or
/die 2d4 fire
and variations of those. However none of the above actually count as fire damage for sake of resistance/immunity to fire; the full damage is taken.

Is it even possible for the /die command to have a damage type?
Thanks!

Zacchaeus
July 10th, 2018, 20:19
No, I don't think it is. See here for details (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Dice). The dice string consist of the die commands and a message. So the /die 1d4 fire is just an untyped damage along with a message saying 'fire'.

LordEntrails
July 10th, 2018, 21:02
If you let us know what you want to do with the /die string, we might be able to tell you a better way of accomplishing your goal (i.e. such as creating an action ont he PC sheet).

Trenloe
July 10th, 2018, 21:11
/die just rolls the dice with an optional message. It is not a damage action roll - even if you call it damage in the message. If you want to do damage specifically, then you have to trigger a damage action - either from the PC or NPC sheet. You can drag a damage action to the hotkey bar if you want to have something available quickly.

As LE says - let is know the context of what you're trying to do and we may be able to make some suggestions.

xxXEliteXxx
July 11th, 2018, 03:19
Thanks, guys. What I was hoping to do was be able to quickly roll impromptu damage of a specific type (for example: roll 3d6 acid damage) without having to make a dummy NPC with an attack that fits the bill, as that can take too long. I'm aware that I can drag an attack's damage into the hotbar, but if I were to do that I'd have to have one for every damage type along with every combination of dice the roll could have.

It seems my best bet would be to have a pre-made dummy NPC with various elemental attacks ready, and just change the number of dice before the attack to suit the scenario.

LordEntrails
July 11th, 2018, 06:44
Do your players have lots of damage immunities and resistances? My players don't.

I just pick up the dice and right click to set the correct number and then roll them. Then just by looking at the effects in the CT, I can tell if I need to worry about damage type or not.

xxXEliteXxx
July 11th, 2018, 08:51
They have a tenancy to carry potions of resistance on them. In addition, two PCs are tieflings (fire resistance), one is a dwarf (poison resistance), and one is a dragonborn (white: cold resistance). The bear-totem barbarian also frequently rages, giving him resistance to all damage types except psychic.

So, yeah, I'd say my players have a lot of resistances.