PDA

View Full Version : Default Effects when added to Combat Tracker

Tielc
July 9th, 2018, 17:46
Is there a way to add default effects everytime you are added to a combat tracker? Sometimes the DM removes the PCs if they aren't involved in a combat or other various reasons. The problem with this is, I always have to re-add my Dwarven Resilience everytime this happens. These are effects that my character should ALWAYS have on.

Trenloe
July 9th, 2018, 17:54
Not in the base product. And, as usual, the full answer depends on what RPG system we're talking about. Please remember to mention which systems when you post! Thanks.

For example, if you're playing 5E, this extension might help: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?40833-5E-Advanced-Effects-(items-npcs-characters)

There may be other extensions that might help - depending on the RPG system/s you're playing in FG.

celestian
July 9th, 2018, 18:34
Is there a way to add default effects everytime you are added to a combat tracker? Sometimes the DM removes the PCs if they aren't involved in a combat or other various reasons. The problem with this is, I always have to re-add my Dwarven Resilience everytime this happens. These are effects that my character should ALWAYS have on.

As Trenlow mentioned Advanced Effects (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?40833-5E-Advanced-Effects-(items-npcs-characters)) does what I think you are asking tho you will need to be running 5E.

Advanced Effects will let you put effects on PC, NPCs and Items that will be added when they are placed into the combat tracker. The items will toggle effects as they are added and removed (PC only in 5E).

Tielc
July 9th, 2018, 18:46
Yes, we're running 5e. I'd have to get the DM of this game to install and enable this though correct?

LordEntrails
July 9th, 2018, 18:47
Yes, we're running 5e. I'd have to get the DM of this game to install and enable this though correct?
Yes.

You do know you can just make an action on your character sheet to add the effects to the CT yourself? You'll have to remember to do that everytime you are added ot the CT, but it's pretty easy.

Trenloe
July 9th, 2018, 18:47
I'd have to get the DM of this game to install and enable this though correct?
Yes.

Tielc
July 9th, 2018, 18:53
Yes.

You do know you can just make an action on your character sheet to add the effects to the CT yourself? You'll have to remember to do that everytime you are added ot the CT, but it's pretty easy.

I think this is what I'm doing today? I have this and then I drag this and my Blessing of the Forge onto my character every time the CT is reset. Or are you saying I can make this as a button that I just click and it gets applied.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=23942&stc=1&d=1531158638

Trenloe
July 9th, 2018, 19:08
I think this is what I'm doing today? I have this and then I drag this and my Blessing of the Forge onto my character every time the CT is reset. Or are you saying I can make this as a button that I just click and it gets applied.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=23942&stc=1&d=1531158638
Just click the effect button when the PC is in the CT. You've set it to target "Self" so it will be placed on that PC.

Zacchaeus
July 9th, 2018, 19:47

Note that whilst the effect RESIST: poison is a correct effect and will cut poison damage in half the other part of your effect is actually giving you advantage on every constitution saving throw that you make. You can't test for something like a damage type using the IF statement. There isn't a way to set up an effect which would give you advantage on a saving throw against just poison. So you would have to make sure that you have clicked the ADV button before you make any kind of save against poison.

Trenloe
July 9th, 2018, 19:53
Good catch Zacc!

Yeah - always a good idea to test effects do what you expect, especially conditional (IF, IFT) effects.

Tielc
July 9th, 2018, 20:14
Note that whilst the effect RESIST: poison is a correct effect and will cut poison damage in half the other part of your effect is actually giving you advantage on every constitution saving throw that you make. You can't test for something like a damage type using the IF statement. There isn't a way to set up an effect which would give you advantage on a saving throw against just poison. So you would have to make sure that you have clicked the ADV button before you make any kind of save against poison.

Hrmm, copy pasted that from somewhere on these forums, thanks for the heads up.

Callum
July 15th, 2018, 09:41
As a DM, I never remove the PCs from the Conbat Tracker for precisely this reason. When you get to higher levels, there are too many always-on effects. It's easier just to skip past a PC who isn't involved in combat.

celestian
July 15th, 2018, 19:59
As a DM, I never remove the PCs from the Conbat Tracker for precisely this reason. When you get to higher levels, there are too many always-on effects. It's easier just to skip past a PC who isn't involved in combat.

If you use the AdvancedEffects (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?40833-5E-Advanced-Effects-(items-npcs-characters))extension, at the very least, you can just place the effects on the character sheet for the PC and not have to worry about it. It will replace them any time you place the character back in the combat tracker.

Mavrik6666
July 17th, 2018, 11:20
Have a look at the '5E Apply effect on start' Extension .
This allows you to create a section of effects that are auto added to the CT when your character is added, makes a huge difference for games like West Marches, where you may have multiple DM's or with Dm's that reset the CT