PDA

View Full Version : FG doesnt calculate distance for attacks? noob question

Snackbar
July 7th, 2018, 17:20
So melee attacks mostly are within 5 feet of reach etc. Just wondering in FG calculates that the player swinging, his token isnt 5 feet away etc? Maybe theres an extension that does this or is it all up to the GM to watch the distances of every attack.

Is there a good way to measure the distance of a player token to the monster hes attacking on the map?

Andraax
July 7th, 2018, 17:28
Apply a grid, use targeting.

https://s3.silent-tower.org/images/Distance.jpg

Snackbar
July 7th, 2018, 17:39
so i applied the grid, not sure how to use targeting. currently just dragging the dice rolls out of the combat tracker attack area. not the proper way to do it?

Snackbar
July 7th, 2018, 17:44
so i applied the grid, not sure how to use targeting. currently just dragging the dice rolls out of the combat tracker attack area. not the proper way to do it? I appreciate the help!

Andraax
July 7th, 2018, 17:45
Page 34 of the user manual.

Trenloe
July 7th, 2018, 17:46
Info on targeting in the user guide here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Tokens#Targeting

Distance can only be displayed if a grid is put on the map. Without a grid FG has no idea of the scale of the map.

Even with targeting, FG won’t stop melee attacks that are beyond reach. It’s up to the GM and players to adjudicate this. The reach (as setup in the reach field in the CT) will be shown if you hover over attacking token (if a grid is on the map).

Snackbar
July 7th, 2018, 17:50
Info on targeting in the user guide here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Tokens#Targeting

Distance can only be displayed if a grid is put on the map. Without a grid FG has no idea of the scale of the map.

Even with targeting, FG won’t stop melee attacks that are beyond reach. It’s up to the GM and players to adjudicate this. The reach (as setup in the reach field in the CT) will be shown if you hover over attacking token (if a grid is on the map).

And that was my question, even with targeting, fg will let me paladin roll his 5 foot melee attack from 45 feet away.

Snackbar
July 7th, 2018, 17:52
I appreciate all the help!
+

Trenloe
July 7th, 2018, 17:54
And that was my question, even with targeting, fg will let me paladin roll his 5 foot melee attack from 45 feet away.
Correct. But now you can measure and know that the attack is too far away, or use the reach indication to show you what is and isn’t in reach.

FG automation tries not to stop actions from happening - as there can be many edge cases and house rules that would be broken if FG wouldn’t let you do certain actions. GMs and players still need to be aware of what is and isn’t possible and adjudicate as necessary.

Snackbar
July 7th, 2018, 17:56
Page 34 of the user manual.

What page of the manual wasnt my question so this isnt really any help. My question was about being able to still roll attacks from outside the appropriate range but thanks regardless.

Snackbar
July 7th, 2018, 17:56
Correct. But now you can measure and know that the attack is too far away, or use the reach indication to show you what is and isn’t in reach.

FG automation tries not to stop actions from happening - as there can be many edge cases and house rules that would be broken if FG wouldn’t let you do certain actions. GMs and players still need to be aware of what is and isn’t possible and adjudicate as necessary.

Good to know, thank you sir!

Andraax
July 7th, 2018, 20:44
What page of the manual wasnt my question so this isnt really any help. My question was about being able to still roll attacks from outside the appropriate range but thanks regardless.

You stated "not sure how to use targeting" - this is discussed on page 34 of the manual.

Nyghtmare
July 9th, 2018, 05:41
5e does not automatically handle range and apply modifiers — it has to be done manually — but since Savage Worlds handles this automatically (it sees the distance between the tokens, checks the weapon's ranges, and automatically applies the modifier to the attack roll), I know that it is possible to do in Fantasy Grounds.

damned
July 9th, 2018, 06:33
5e does not automatically handle range and apply modifiers — it has to be done manually — but since Savage Worlds handles this automatically (it sees the distance between the tokens, checks the weapon's ranges, and automatically applies the modifier to the attack roll), I know that it is possible to do in Fantasy Grounds.

Most things are possible but they require a lot of coding.

Nyghtmare
July 9th, 2018, 06:37
Most things are possible but they require a lot of coding.
Of course.

I was just making the point that this is something that someone else figured out how to do from within Fantasy Grounds, but just for a different RPG system — so in theory someone with the skills could do this for other RPG systems as well.

damned
July 9th, 2018, 06:43
Of course.

I was just making the point that this is something that someone else figured out how to do from within Fantasy Grounds, but just for a different RPG system — so in theory someone with the skills could do this for other RPG systems as well.

Shadowrun does it too.
Different systems have more or less focus on different aspects.
Based on the number of times it has come up it may or may not be something that lots of people like.

Consider adding it on the wishlist and then posting a link so others can vote.
https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/