PDA

View Full Version : What does FG calculate

GMBazUK
May 25th, 2006, 17:16
Im getting close to running my first session with FG, but would like to know what FG calculates.

Character generation
So it works out modifiers for stats (under D20 rulesets).
It applies those modifiers to skills.
It works out hit points, Armour class etc...

Game play.
It enables you to list combatants, apply initiative modifiers and thus the order of combat.

Is everything else down to the DM/GM to work with his rule books?

Ive looked at (dare I say it)... Klooge, and one of the reasons I personally wasnt taken with it, was due to the amount of work which it did in calculating the result of specific rule driven events such as combat.

Im realy looking for a general overview, of where FG is coming from. Is it purely a virtual tabletop, with dice and character sheets, maps etc... or does it go further and apply specific rules during game play/character generation.

Hopefully this will give me a head start when I run a session.

Thanks in advance - Baz.

Kalan
May 25th, 2006, 18:27
Im getting close to running my first session with FG, but would like to know what FG calculates.

Character generation
So it works out modifiers for stats (under D20 rulesets).
It applies those modifiers to skills.
It works out hit points, Armour class etc...

Game play.
It enables you to list combatants, apply initiative modifiers and thus the order of combat.

Is everything else down to the DM/GM to work with his rule books?

Ive looked at (dare I say it)... Klooge, and one of the reasons I personally wasnt taken with it, was due to the amount of work which it did in calculating the result of specific rule driven events such as combat.

Im realy looking for a general overview, of where FG is coming from. Is it purely a virtual tabletop, with dice and character sheets, maps etc... or does it go further and apply specific rules during game play/character generation.

Hopefully this will give me a head start when I run a session.

Thanks in advance - Baz.

Where FG shines is in that it really is nothing more than an online tabletop, that gives you access to all your gamebooks, notes, etc in one place. All interpretations, rules, etc are up to you the GM to adjudicate as you see fit.

Once scripting comes out, you will be able to automate some functions I'd think - but be warned that you would not be able to distribute any OGL rulesets so modified as you would then be breaking the d20 Licence...at least that is the way I personally have interpreted things.

Hope that helps you out Baz!

V

Oberoten
May 25th, 2006, 19:16
You can automate SOME functions within the character-sheet if you know what you are doing. Tables etc work just fine.

But this is all if go with the XML scripting option. As base, it doesn't really do that many calculation. Basic arithmetic without decimals at best. On the other hand once the work is done and it is all in there, it is all good and lasting.

GMBazUK
May 25th, 2006, 19:39
Thats great.

Im thinking of running a fairly obscure system, but didnt want to have my character sheets in paper form.
I cant admit to knowing xml, but I figure I should be able to configure .pngs for the sheets, and have them available for entering data. (Famous last words).

If that is beyond me, I'll just write them out by hand, scan them and use them as linked image files. (Hope I havent offended the sensibilities of any of you xml gurus out there).

Heath Robinson for President (read Prime Minister).

Baz

Toadwart
May 25th, 2006, 21:05
Thats great.

Im thinking of running a fairly obscure system, but didnt want to have my character sheets in paper form.
I cant admit to knowing xml, but I figure I should be able to configure .pngs for the sheets, and have them available for entering data. (Famous last words).

If that is beyond me, I'll just write them out by hand, scan them and use them as linked image files. (Hope I havent offended the sensibilities of any of you xml gurus out there).

Heath Robinson for President (read Prime Minister).

Baz

If you stick with the basic controls used in the default, d20, charactersheet (number controls, single-line string controls and multi-line string controls) you should be able to whip up a useable sheet pretty quickly.

No automatic calculations are forced upon you by FG but some automation (like totalling up skill ranks + stat bonuses) is harmless and makes life a little easier for the players & dm.

Have a search through the forums too as there are lots of hints/tips/advice on here (and over at https://www.fouruglymonsters.com)

<wanted: assistant to watch everything I type and correct all the typo's and spelling mistakes>

Griogre
May 25th, 2006, 21:51
FG does haved die macros you can add which can be useful. /die 1d20+1 Claw when dragged onto a function key would print Claw: roll a d20+1 and print the result. One reason I didn't get Klooge was that I thought it was more work than it was worth the get all that automatic results.

Anyway, good luck on your first session.

GMBazUK
May 26th, 2006, 14:14
Thanks again guys (gals). Appreciate the help.

My first victims (erm players) are my nephews aged 7 and 10 so I dont want to put them off due to my ineptitude.

Baz.

Griogre
May 26th, 2006, 20:13
LOL just the fact you are playing with them is probably enough. I started playing with my nephews when they were a little younger. I found things worked best for them with action oriented things. Get them right into the action and keep it flowing. I.E. in a dungeon adventure start them at the first door. Ask a question "Do you check to door for traps and to see if it is locked?" (yeah I know very leading but they were young). They say "Yes!" and I say roll a d20. That rythem seemed to work well, especially for the youngest one. Ask a question, get an answer, make them roll a die. Unfortuantely it took me a while to find this out. :(

GMBazUK
May 27th, 2006, 10:11
Good advice Griorge.

Although I would add, I used to run a very successful roleplaying club in my home town before Uni (a looooong time ago), so I have had first hand experience of leading some much older gamers through things in the way you describe, with all the same issues of a lack of concentration and a desire to cut to the chase and KILLLLL something (usually their character).

Today is their second experience of roleplaying, and is only as a result of their excitement by the end of the first.

I thought about sorting out characters, and giving them a simplistic overview of the world (you know.. these are nasty, these are realy nasty - Lots of pictures) and then jumping right into the encounter, and trying to keep them focused.

Damn sound like hard work already.

I dont think I will have too much trouble. They're both bright little lads with more than enough concentration and if it doesnt work out... Ill leave it until they are older (say in their mid thirties):)

One of the reasons I opted for FG was the animated dice set. My nephews love rolling the dice so...here goes.

Baz.

Toadwart
May 28th, 2006, 21:35
Hold CTRLwhile rolling the d20. It's fun :D
Though, you might want to enforce a 'not in the chat-window' rule as waiting for the dice to spin-down could slow the game down a bit ;)