PDA

View Full Version : Masking tokens

GMBazUK
May 23rd, 2006, 16:23
This is my first post - So Hi to everyone.

Ive just purchased FG (couldnt resist the animated dice) so Im still at the "wheres the undo option" etc... and would like to ask a couple of question:
Masking - If I place tokens in a masked portion of the map which I can see as the GM (to set up the next encounter) and share the map, presumably only the revealed portion of the map will be visible and the tokens will not?

Drawing - Is there an erase function?

Modifiers to rolls - If I want to run a system like Rolemaster or Runequest, so only using FG for images, notes, maps etc can I input modifiers to dice rolls manually so that FG simply calculates the totals which I can then share with my players?

Baz

richvalle
May 23rd, 2006, 16:40
Hello and welcome!

1. (Token masking). No. Tokens sit 'on top' of the map and masking. This functionality has been asked for. Acutally we've asked if we can hide tokens from players even on the unmasked parts of the map.

2. I know there is an erase all. Not sure if you can selectivly erase.

3. Yes, you can put your mouse cursor onto the modifire box and use the wheel to move the mods up and down. You can also setup hot keys to hold modifires that will trigger when you hit the hot key.

Hope that helps.

rv

GMBazUK
May 23rd, 2006, 18:43
Thanks Richvalle, very helpful.

No doubt Ill have a few more questions for you all, before I test it out on my unassuming nephews.

Baz.

Griogre
May 23rd, 2006, 18:47
Welcome to the boards Baz.

Drawing - Is there an erase function?
Yes there is a "clear" map erase and a "rubberband" incircle erase.
I believe the GM only has the erase the whole map, while the player and GM can both use the smaller erase function.

To erase the whole map you right click on the map select drawing then select clear drawing.

To erase a limited area of a map you have drawn on right click on the map then select drawing the select drawing mode. The curser will change to the feather pen that allows you to draw - you are now in drawing mode.

When you are in drawing mode right click on the map, select drawing. You will notice that you now have both "clear drawing" and "erase" as options. If you select erase you can now "lasso" what ever it is you want to erase.

Kalan
May 23rd, 2006, 19:57
Another option for using "invisible" tokens is to enable shortcuts on the map, and place Pins in the spots where you'd have the tokens. Drag the personality entries onto the map where you want them.

Then when that portion is revealed, drop the appropriate token into place.

richvalle
May 23rd, 2006, 20:49
Another option for using "invisible" tokens is to enable shortcuts on the map, and place Pins in the spots where you'd have the tokens. Drag the personality entries onto the map where you want them.

Then when that portion is revealed, drop the appropriate token into place.

Yes! I also use this to track inviso creatures. So when the nasty 11th level goblin Wizard went invisable, I removed the token and then draged a personality onto the map to create a pin ( I didn't even use is personality... I just need a pin for a marker). I used that pin to move him around the map and could see where he was at all times.

rv

DarkStar
May 23rd, 2006, 21:12
So when the nasty 11th level goblin Wizard went invisable

Stop making things up - goblins don't live that long (enough to advance to 11th level). :D

Plus, I heard that pins cause unstability for some people...

richvalle
May 23rd, 2006, 22:12
Stop making things up - goblins don't live that long (enough to advance to 11th level). :D

Plus, I heard that pins cause unstability for some people...

Yeah, that is what the party thought too. Till he started dropping Walls of Force and Empowered Scorching Rays (umm, very, very nasty that one. 3 x 4d6 x 1.5 = lots of damage).

I've had tons of pins on my maps with no issues that I've noticed. I try to drop a pin on for every critter and most the rooms. I've probalby had close to 50 at one time.

rv

Griogre
May 24th, 2006, 02:22
In one of my modules I have a problem with pins. The others are fine. I've started to wonder if it has something to do with complex modules/campaigns that have multiple tabs on the Images and Maps. Do you have multiple tabs on your 50 pin map(s)?

richvalle
May 24th, 2006, 14:01
In one of my modules I have a problem with pins. The others are fine. I've started to wonder if it has something to do with complex modules/campaigns that have multiple tabs on the Images and Maps. Do you have multiple tabs on your 50 pin map(s)?

Hmm, tabs on the map?

GMBazUK
May 24th, 2006, 15:17
Pins!

I was watching some demo vids the other day for FG, and have pretty much sorted out the pins thing.
I presume that pins can only be seen by the GM?
Is it possible to have pins of different colours? One of the things I noticed is, if the pins are close together they can be difficult to grab, and the text indicator doesnt always appear to let you know what it is youve grabbed.
Can you have say a different coloured pin for images and text descriptions?

Also, I opened one of the characters from the default adventure (Allen), to have a go at modifying it, and I managed to create a link on the description sheet to an image file (which could be a picture of him say), but the small square denoting the link remained colourless, and I still havent figure out how to activiate it.

Presumably it should be brown?

Hope someone can help?

By the way the lighting feature for the desktop theme is brilliant, and very subtle. I could almost here the crickets chirping when I implemented the night theme:)

Baz.

Kalan
May 24th, 2006, 15:56
Pins!

I was watching some demo vids the other day for FG, and have pretty much sorted out the pins thing.
Is it possible to have pins of different colours? One of the things I noticed is, if the pins are close together they can be difficult to grab, and the text indicator doesnt always appear to let you know what it is youve grabbed.

Also, I opened one of the characters from the default adventure (Allen), to have a go at modifying it, and I managed to create a link on the description sheet to an image file (which could be a picture of him say), but the small square denoting the link remained colourless, and I still havent figure out how to activiate it.

Presumably it should be brown?

Hope someone can help?

By the way the lighting feature for the desktop theme is brilliant, and very subtle. I could almost here the crickets chirping when I implemented the night theme:)

Baz.

The best way to link it, is open the image list, then drag the square beside the title onto the link you made in the document. Poof...instant link in your text :)

This is the same procedure for linking to Personalities, Rules (I think), other Story links...

Hope that helps :D

richvalle
May 24th, 2006, 18:05
Pins!

Baz.

Yes, the pins are only seen by the dm.

Currently all pins are the same color. Some (I think Gurney) asked if different item types could be different colors.

When the pins are too close together I usually zoom in closer to the map using the mouse wheel so I can grap it.

If the text is not showing up try alt-tabbing way from FG and then Alt-tabbing back.

rv

GMBazUK
May 24th, 2006, 18:05
OK, I followed your advice and...

Thats great. Thanks Kalan, oh and Richvalle (once again).

Baz

Griogre
May 24th, 2006, 19:52
Hmm, tabs on the map?
What I meant is I have several levels in the module. So I used multiple tabs in the story book and Maps/Images to separate them. Actually I think I found the problem with that map. Apparently multiple copies of the same pin seem to trigger it. Two of the same pin seems to be ok but 4 caused a problem. There may be another factor though.

kalmarjan
May 24th, 2006, 20:31
Is your map a part of an activated module?

That is where I seem to have all my problems with the pins.

One workaround that I use is having a DM map open. (Not shared). The problems I have run into seem to stem from having pins that are shared.

Sandeman

richvalle
May 24th, 2006, 22:01
Ahhh! No it is not part of an activated module. Or tabbed in any way. I did have more then one copy of the same pin though. More then 4 as well.

rv

Griogre
May 24th, 2006, 22:27
Is your map a part of an activated module?
Yes it is. This is the same map I wrote about in the support forum where you helped me out by sugguesting it was the pins. I had a little bit of time yesterday so I messed around with that map/module. First I added one pin back and exported, loaded up a campaign and activated the module and then deactivated it. No problem. Reloaded the module campaign added two more pins exported, loaded up a campaign activated/deactivated the module - no problem. Then I added 4 pins - exported and reloaded into campaign. Activated the module, deactivated the module - Crash. Pull all the four pins off exported, loaded a campaign activated and deactivated the module no problem. Ok, so it's in the four pins. I looked at the pins. Pin "04 Empty Room" was used in three empty rooms and linked to the same description. Pin 5 is a normal description. Hmm I think, I load the module campaign and add one pin 4, don't pin the other empty rooms and add pin 5,6,7 all non duplicates to seperate descritions. Export the module, start another campaign and activate and deactivate the module. It works! Yay.

I still have a little time so I go back to the module campaign open up a map with pins I haven't had any problems with. There are not any multiple pins to the same link on the map. I add another pin linking to "00 Cavern Descrition". Export, start up another campaign - ativate/deactivate the module. No problem. That's where I am. Right now it looks like three duplicate pins to the same link are a problem. If I have time this weekend I'll see if I can confirm it is three plus pins with the same link.

That is where I seem to have all my problems with the pins.
One workaround that I use is having a DM map open. (Not shared). The problems I have run into seem to stem from having pins that are shared.

This was a map I did not share that had pins. It was a scan of an actual module map so I could not share it because it had secrets and traps and other things shown on the map and there was no easy way to show it to the players without redoing the map. We're somewhat of an old school style group anyway and I make them draw their own map of the dungeon as they explore so there was no reason to share it.

Griogre
May 24th, 2006, 22:43
Ahhh! No it is not part of an activated module. Or tabbed in any way. I did have more then one copy of the same pin though. More then 4 as well.

I've noticed some odd things with importing modules with tabs. The tabs come in ordered in reverse order from the order in the module. I've got a small module I made from one of the WoTC free adventures. The story book has several tabs: one for the prelude and background, one for the actual dungeon and one for the aftermath/epilog. The map is just one level so its on one tab in the image/map book.

I'll mess around more with this this weekend.

kalmarjan
May 25th, 2006, 01:14
One thing to note:

When dealing with modules, make sure that the <node name="#####" /> does not have a number the same as any other node in your modules that are activated. I believe that this is what is causing the crash. (For example, if you have two story nodes with the "unique" id of "00001")

This may be what is causing the crashes, as FG (and the xml for that matter) is doing a memory fart trying to decide which node is the correct one to choose. (Devs, this is one thing that needs immediate attention!)

Sandeman

Griogre
May 25th, 2006, 21:41
When dealing with modules, make sure that the <node name="#####" /> does not have a number the same as any other node in your modules that are activated. I believe that this is what is causing the crash. (For example, if you have two story nodes with the "unique" id of "00001")

This may be what is causing the crashes, as FG (and the xml for that matter) is doing a memory fart trying to decide which node is the correct one to choose.
After the pin thing I was thinking this might be the problem also - the lack of uniqueness (or the inablity to determine the different between nodes). When I put the put the problem child pin back in and get it to crash (assuming it does :p ) I'll take a look at the pin xml.

I had presumed with modules they were using the module name or filename as a seperate namespace to avoid collisions.

Griogre
May 29th, 2006, 22:07

rv
Hmm I'm starting to think multiple pins linked to the same thing is only a problem in activated modules. When I open a campaign with the mulitiple pin link there doesn't seem to be a problem - which fits into your experience.