PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth it?

Drakard
May 23rd, 2006, 05:41
I am thinking of buying this software and running games. :confused: I can regularly schedule games in the evenings 8 p.m. to approx midnight central time U.S.

I prefer to use yahoo voicechat. I am running games online now just with that, and it's built in file transfer system.

Obviously, this is vastly superior to simple voice chat games but I can't let it go it's too easy to simply hit a button and read my flavor text or quickly answer a question.

I have growed up and cannot afford the gas to go across town or to the next county anymore. I cannot afford to pay the babysitter to watch the munchkins every week, besides babysitters are not reliable. I cannot count on my local buddies, also growed up, to make every cotton-pickin game for the same reasons. I gotta find a way to do this from home and this looks like it's it.

I run 3.5 D and D and have not gotten to actually play in over 3 years since our other DM went Military. I always seem to get stuck running things.:rolleyes:

If this software is worth it, If you think you would like to play in a game with me, If you think I might fit one of your games, Let me know here or at myspace. :cool:

:o I want to play sooo bad you don't even know LOL contact me.

Snikle
May 23rd, 2006, 05:45
I would definately say yes, though we seem to have different flavors in gaming. I hate chatting over the net (hell, I hate the phone too) and prefer typing to talking. SO in that respect, I would say that you need to think about it, though I know of many people that run FG for maps, as a game board with tokens, etc and run a voice program over that to actually run the game. The syncronized game maps are great for gaming at a distances.

Griogre
May 23rd, 2006, 06:43
Hi Drakard. I think FG is worth it. Like you, in the online game I run I use voice. I don't use Yahoo Voice Chat anymore - my group is too big. You will find that many people love voice and many don't. It's a style preferance thing.

FG supplies dice, a battlemap to draw on in real time, and tokens to move around on the map also in real time. If you draw up a map ahead of time you can share it with your player and reveal however much you wish. You can also share images and text descriptions if you have them.

DarkStar
May 23rd, 2006, 09:17
I would also say "yes". FG is definetely worth it's cost. Personally, I don't use voice chat, not because of that I don't like it, but my English skills are too low to play like this, I prefer text games then.

Whatever suits you - voice or text - FG is for you, people play both ways. Fantasy Grounds is as close to pen & paper RPGs as it gets.

Oberoten
May 23rd, 2006, 13:08
There is a a resounding yes to this whole program. I have some players that have moved away after completing their studies and aquiring jobs which makes it VERY hard to meet up and play.

Now, what DOES FG do for us?

First of all, it keeps the charactersheets. This is IMPORTANT... whenever we actually meet there is ALWAYS someone going "#/#""/&# I forgot my charactersheet at home... Cue 20-40 min wait as it is retrieved OR make the char again from memory.

Maps, I can choose to reveal the maps a little at a time or all at the same time. When we game in person I use FG with a projector on the wall or table.

And of course... Dice. :) I mean, yes I have a Mirc script that does the first part (character-sheets and dice) and one CAN use a normal website for the maps I suppose. But FG actually gives the FEEL of dice.
Might be less usefull if all you play is Amber.

A very good support society. I think most of what you may need or want can be found here in the community allready.

richvalle
May 23rd, 2006, 15:22
If it allows you to play again with your friends how can the answer not be 'yes'. :)

That is what FG has allowed me to do. No travel time, I'm still at home so no extra pressure from the wife from going out. Using FG has allowed me to run a game once a week for almost a year now.

rv