PDA

View Full Version : LFP: 5e Campaign Starting at Level 0 - Newbies and veterans welcome

groggert
June 27th, 2018, 06:24
It looks like all player slots are currently filled - if any open up I will message any who were interested. Thanks for your interest!

FG License: Standard
Game System: Dungeons and Dragons 5e

Time Zone: US EST

Day of week and time: Based on the current responses, it looks like: Thursdays - Starting around 8pm US EST (UTC - 5h)

Planned start date: Approx 1 week after finding group

Planned Duration & Frequency: ~3 hour sessions, weekly

Term: Long-term

Text or Voice: Both text and voice

Voice software used: Discord

Role-play & Combat mix: Dependent on player preference, but likely 50/50

Number of Players needed: 4-6 players needed

Character starting level & equipment: Level 0, no equipment (see campaign details)

Character restrictions: Standard array, Classes From PHB: No Monks. Multi-class: Only max 1 other class. Races: No Dragonborn, Tieflings only with good reason and acceptance that horns/tails must be concealed in most circumstances. Sub-races: from any official source except those specific to a particular campaign setting (e.g. Drow). Backgrounds: Any except those specific to a particular campaign setting (may require slight flavor changes based on the starting campaign scenario). Alignment: Those who murder party members or random people indiscriminately would not be a good fit.

Details of the scenario: The campaign planned is a hybrid homebrew/sandbox/published material campaign. I like to remix shorter published scenarios and various adventure hooks into a custom setting, allow players to pursue whichever of the plot threads that interest them most, and mold the campaign, over-arching story, and future scenarios based on which threads were followed and the player's actions during that time.

This particular campaign will start off with a converted 1e module in which players start as commoners/apprentices/novices (level 0) captured by slavers. As a result, they start their journey as accidental adventurers and during this adventure, end up emerging as level 1 - whatevers and resume standard progression. If interested in playing in such a starter scenario, I will gladly explain how the mechanics and character creation would work in regards to creating the type of character you desire.

XP is awarded in a hybrid milestone/challenge/player reward format.

My Background: Played and DM'ed Redbox, 1e, 2e for many years before drifting away for a while. I am looking forward returning to the hobby with 5e. Fantasy grounds experience consists largely of creating campaign material so there will be (a hopefully brief) learning curve when using it to DM with that material. While I have experience DMing, I have not yet done so with 5e so there will be a bit of a learning curve there too. A certain amount of patience in both these regards is likely a requirement for an enjoyable time.

Wishlist for players: Friendly and respectful of everyone. Everyone is looking to have fun and treating everyone with respect is required for that to happen. Rules-lawyers are probably not a good fit as I tend to err on the side of entertainment and moving the game along when possible. Min/maxers are probably not a good fit.
Novices to Dungeons and Dragons or 5e are probably a good fit (let's master 5e together).
Old-school players looking to return to the game (like myself) or wishing revisit some classic scenarios as well as experience some new ones are likely a good fit.
Experienced players who can be patient during the initial learning curve would be a good fit.
Kind, friendly people are always a good fit.

*If interested and our schedules align, please let me know what type of class you would likely want to end up playing (e.g. fighter, bard, or warlock, etc) so we can ensure a certain amount of variety in party makeup.

Alaxandir
June 27th, 2018, 08:14
Hi, I'm new here but very interested in your game. It sounds akin to a DCC funnel.
Are you against kenku from volos? I just really enjoy role-playing them. Not a deal breaker but figured I'd ask.

I'm gmt -6

damned
June 27th, 2018, 09:07
Welcome groggert
Its best if you propose the times that work for you best. It will help consolidate teh right group that much quicker.
Have fun!

SoupViking
June 27th, 2018, 13:10
I'd be interested depending on the time and day.

JBagky
June 27th, 2018, 14:17
I would definitely be interested. I am in a group on Tuesday nights but Mon, Thurs, or Sun works best for me after 730EST (have 3 little ones to put to bed each night). I am still learning things since its been many years since I lived this stuff and am happy to learn.

Nickademus
June 27th, 2018, 14:44
Also interested, but the day would have to be on a day that I don't run a game. I'll wait and see what day this ends up being.

groggert
June 27th, 2018, 20:14
From what I have read about the funnel in DCC, it is somewhat similar in theme, but the intention in this scenario is not necessarily to kill off a bunch of the PCs in a only the strong (or lucky) survive crucible, but instead encourage a sort of origin story for the heroes/players, encourage party interaction so everyone will know if they get along as players (and PCs), and provide an initial survival oriented adventure where teamwork plays an important role.

Unfortunately, the races available are the PHB standards minus Dragonborn. In the settings I usually run, most people are not cosmopolitan enough to differentiate between a monstrous or fantastic race that is potentially friendly and those whom are deadly.

Slang
June 27th, 2018, 21:35
I'd be interested! I'm in the UK so it will be starting very early in the morning, but the shorter sessions fit me perfectly. Currently any of the suggested days and times are fine, though I'd vote against Sunday - it's not out of the question, but just a preference.

I have a little experience, having played in a West Marches campaign for about 5 sessions or so, and used FG throughout. I've already got the Player's Handbook so I'll be able to create my own character.

spanishkent
June 27th, 2018, 21:37
Would it be on Th-Sun weekly/biweekly? or One day weekly/biweekly?

groggert
June 27th, 2018, 22:35
Just one day. The days/times listed are my attempt to narrow down possible session times to those that work for the players whom have expressed interest (as I have a pretty flexible schedule). Ultimately there will only be one day/time listed once at least 4 people have expressed interest in a particular time slot.

My preference for frequency is weekly, but with an understanding that as adults we all occasionally have matters in our lives that need attention and result in the need to skip a session now and then but am open to bi-weekly if that is what everyone wants.

SoupViking
June 27th, 2018, 22:54
Thursday or Sunday evenings are the best for me

spanishkent
June 27th, 2018, 23:32
I'm down for Saturday or Sunday either bi-weekly or weekly.

Ezsme
June 28th, 2018, 00:43
I would love to join you on Thursdays. I am a mature player in the EST and have a full FG license. Sounds like a great mash-up and I am willing to play one of my pre-made characters of create a new one at the table.

Alaxandir
June 28th, 2018, 01:36
Sundays, Thursdays after 8, for me

robomagon
June 28th, 2018, 01:37
I'd like to play in this. Either day is fine for me.

Is a goliath too monstrous for the campaign?
Does it have to be standard array or is point buy also acceptable?

groggert
June 28th, 2018, 04:57
Goliath would be acceptable. They would likely be treated by a curiosity by many, but are human-enough in appearance that the first instinct of those who come in contact with them is not necessarily fight or flight.
Generating stats with the standard 27 point buy would be ok too.

ROCKMANO
June 28th, 2018, 06:27
I am interested as well. Thursdays around 7 works for me.

Morgath
June 28th, 2018, 06:34
Hi,
I would be interested in this campaign. 8 pm EST would be a good time for me. I am interested in playing a warlock character. Your scenario for character beginning would be an easy setup for a warlock, but am open to many roles. I currently play a campaign on Sunday nights from 8 pm to midnight CST. That time frame any other day of the week would be ideal. If interested I'll be on Discord as Morgath#5421.
I am familiar with 5e.
thanks for your consideration.

Richard747parker
June 28th, 2018, 10:32
Heya,

I'm interested in playing. Thursday would work me and a start time between 7-8 est time would be perfect. My character of choice is a Eladrin wizard.

Let me know.

Thanks

Ram Tyr
June 28th, 2018, 14:52
I am interested depending on the actual time selected.

I am happy to play weekly 7 - 9:30pm Eastern on Thursdays. I can also begin the session at 6:30pm if the group wants a longer session.

I am a long time user of FG and an even longer time player of DnD.

My main interest when forming a new group is finding cool, friendly people that come together to have a good time. I am not a committed min/maxer and enjoy buying into the tone of the campaign. I am not a voice actor, but I enjoy speaking as my character with other players doing the same.

I would likely start with a non caster type character but I can also be flexible. Again, for me it is about finding good people that can come together and have enjoyable sessions together.

phrcastro
June 28th, 2018, 16:27
Hi. I am vey interested and Thu 7-7:30PM EST works for me. I am GMT -3. I currently play a bi-weekly session on Tuesdays. I have some experience with 5e and FG. Also don't like rule-lawyers.

I would like playing a wizard or cleric/paladin. Cheers,

Algar Dunraven
June 30th, 2018, 00:20
I am interested if another spot opens up. I am -4 EST and would be open to any and all classes. I am learning FG at the moment and have taken a few classes. I am from the old school of 1st Edition and have GM'd 5th edition for a while now. Would like to continue as a player. Thursday nights work great for me.