PDA

View Full Version : Starship Combat

Octavious
June 26th, 2018, 22:35
Just wondering how everyone is handling starship combat. Last time I GM a game I used a jpg combat sheet I made with tokens I moved around and used the internal PC starship to keep any pertinent info .. for PC and NPC ships.

Also wondering if any news when the starship portion of FG will be functional ?

merkvah
June 27th, 2018, 00:19
=) I came here on the same day to ask the same question. Glad I'm not the only one. =)

Blacklamb
June 27th, 2018, 18:31
The last game I had Starship combat in I gave my local players paper sheets if their ship and emailed the pdf to my remote players when they acquired the ship in game. We used a generic starmap with tokens for the field in FG and rolled dice through it but hit and damage calculations were all done manually. My next session has them starting on a new ship that I have built out in players ships in FG. My plan is to let them use that sheet to track damage but non of the auto calculations and automation work yet so it will still be manual rolls and targets, I don't find that part too hard, make sure you use the values in the official FAQ for targets because they are more balanced than what is in the book.

Octavious
June 28th, 2018, 16:48
thanks for the response guys.. just curious how others are doing this..seeing if there may be an easier way right now..

teyduoncaar
June 5th, 2019, 18:45
Is there any update as to when StarShip Combat will finally be resolved?

Octavious
June 5th, 2019, 20:09
Hey teyduoncaar, As far as I know we were told most likely at present time and near future the combat tracker is most likely dead and wont be resolved anytime soon if at all. Smiteworks spent a lot of money on developers who did some work on it but got sick and vanished into the drift. Luckily the PC and NPC starship forms were pretty well finished and can be used as ship sheet for combat. A lot of things don't work on the PC ship sheet but you can fill in what you want and use it.

Im not sure what does not work in the PC ship sheet as I have eliminated this problem with a utility that builds PC ships and NPC ships using the PC ship sheet format. then export as a "Starship Module" ready to run .. with all the correct DC,s and every countermeasures you can think of.. can build a ship in about 5 minutes , export and your ready to fight. I am in the process of finding a place for the utility for offer to public for free.. I did offer it to Smiteworks for free for a add-on utility but was never answered back on the offer.

I am going to give it to any players who join any of my future starfinder games . here is a few links to building a PC starship and building a NPC PC style ship tutorial.. they are about 1/2 hr each..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCu-0IPqMeI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaxgdGwCMy8

shartahl
June 5th, 2019, 23:45
For the most part, it feels like Starfinder as a whole is one the back burner. I keep seeing all this new Paizo content coming out for Pathfinder, and the Starfinder APs and general content have been at a standstill since AA2 was released in November 2018

Trenloe
June 5th, 2019, 23:51
For the most part, it feels like Starfinder as a whole is one the back burner. I keep seeing all this new Paizo content coming out for Pathfinder, and the Starfinder APs and general content have been at a standstill since AA2 was released in November 2018
Release of Starfinder products is completely reliant on community developers converting the products. If you want to see more Starfinder products, then there needs to be more Starfinder community developers. Maybe try it yourself, or convince someone else to try it?

Octavious
June 6th, 2019, 00:24
Release of Starfinder products is completely reliant on community developers converting the products. If you want to see more Starfinder products, then there needs to be more Starfinder community developers. Maybe try it yourself, or convince someone else to try it?

Hi Trenloe ,,

So if I wanted to convert an adventure content from a pdf to FG Module, I could do that and smiteworks would accept what I did? or were you talking about extensions and such?

Trenloe
June 6th, 2019, 00:31
Hi Trenloe ,,

So if I wanted to convert an adventure content from a pdf to FG Module, I could do that and smiteworks would accept what I did?
Exactly! They'll QA it and make sure it's up the scratch, etc.. But yes - this is exactly what I was referring to. Don't just start without reaching out to them first though - drop them an email at [email protected] first, to see what products they have need converting and to get involved!

Octavious
June 6th, 2019, 01:28
Exactly! They'll QA it and make sure it's up the scratch, etc.. But yes - this is exactly what I was referring to. Don't just start without reaching out to them first though - drop them an email at [email protected] first, to see what products they have need converting and to get involved!

Great ! .. Thanx Trenloe I may just do that..

teyduoncaar
June 7th, 2019, 21:31
Great ! .. Thanx Trenloe I may just do that..

Octavius,
I am a bit of a developer myself. Though I do most of my stuff in Unity. If you are interested perhaps we could collaborate and work on a StarFinder project for the upcoming Unity release. What do you think? Regardless I am happy to help out with some development work myself. Let me know if you would like a hand. And @Trenloe, thank you for clarifying.

Trenloe
June 7th, 2019, 22:04
I am a bit of a developer myself. Though I do most of my stuff in Unity. If you are interested perhaps we could collaborate and work on a StarFinder project for the upcoming Unity release.
For Fantasy Grounds Unity they will not be allowing developers to modify FG directly in Unity. Like FG now (which is developed in C#, but community developers can't make any changes in C#) there will be APIs exposed that can be called through LUA coding. So, if you're going to do some FG development, don't necessarily wait for FG Unity - stuff you do for FG classic will more than likely work fine in FG Unity.

teyduoncaar
June 7th, 2019, 22:18
For Fantasy Grounds Unity they will not be allowing developers to modify FG directly in Unity. Like FG now (which is developed in C#, but community developers can't make any changes in C#) there will be APIs exposed that can be called through LUA coding. So, if you're going to do some FG development, don't necessarily wait for FG Unity - stuff you do for FG classic will more than likely work fine in FG Unity.

Didnt know that the development was LUA oriented. What would you suggest to get started with FG development? I tried reading the WIKI but unfortunately it is very difficult to navigate. Are there any other sources to get started with?

*** NM, I found the forum post with tutorials. Thanks!***

Octavious
June 8th, 2019, 07:48
Octavius,
I am a bit of a developer myself. Though I do most of my stuff in Unity. If you are interested perhaps we could collaborate and work on a StarFinder project for the upcoming Unity release. What do you think? Regardless I am happy to help out with some development work myself. Let me know if you would like a hand. And @Trenloe, thank you for clarifying.

teyduaocarr,
Sounds great to me, I have no experience in Unity , Only C#, C++ and Direct X , What I really would like to do is get Starfinder ship sheets to wok properly and some kind of Combat Tracker , but I have no patience for trial and error with the LUA API Wiki ,, as it just does not have enough documentation to read thru and really know what does what with out lots and lots of messing around with it. (Unless there is other documentation I havnt seen yet that is)