PDA

View Full Version : One shots EXP and Treasure rules

Rabidbat
June 26th, 2018, 17:31
Hello, can someone tell me what the rules are regarding treasure and EXP for one shots or homebrew campaigns. Do you get to keep it?

Trenloe
June 26th, 2018, 17:47
The rules are basically up to your group/GM. If you're just playing home games/one shots that are just that (i.e. not Adventurers League organized play), then you basically do what the GM advises for the game you're playing in. For one shots the GM will often have pregens available or give guidelines on what to create for the game (e.g. 5th level, 1000GP equipment, 1 magic item).

Outside of organized play, it's very rare nowadays to keep a set of PCs you've played in other one-shots "as-is" (i.e. how they ended that last adventure, with all the treasure and XP they have gained in all the adventures they've undertaken so far). Mainly because it can be too restrictive ("Sorry I can't play your one shot, I don't have an 8th level PC at the moment), and/or GM's don't like PC's coming into their game with all sorts of, or not enough, equipment and magic items obtained in previous adventures - it can result in that PC being too unbalanced compared to the other PCs (unbalanced one way or the other).