PDA

View Full Version : From table, to Story, to Encounter?

grisix
June 23rd, 2018, 08:49
I am creating arrays of tables where some of the random results can not be visible in encounters (if I set the output to enc.).

So I changed the output to Story instead and I get all the type of results generated by my tables in a story entry which is great.

Now, some results really are encounters.

I tried to set the subtables generating encounters as enc., but when they are access by a first table that is set to generate Story, it seems the first table leads the way for all subtables, regardless of the setting of each specific subtable.

1/ Is that a feature, or is it a bug?

2/ if it is a feature, is there is a way to drag and drop some text with link from a story into an encounter to generate an encounter template (like drag and drop 2d6 orcs, and be able to generate an encounter with the randomized number of orcs)?

Thanks for the help!

Zacchaeus
June 23rd, 2018, 09:17
For what ruleset?

Output is determined by the first table you roll on, so the output for any child table would be ignored. This is logical since the only output is the first table. All the other tables are outputting to the first since that is where the call came from. So it isn’t a bug or a feature it is just logic.

There are rulesets that support random encounters where you would input a dice string and a monster type. There isn’t a way to have Story text automatically roll an encounter but there are ways to set up random encounters depending on the ruleset.

damned
June 23rd, 2018, 09:59
Zacchaeus templates?

Zacchaeus
June 23rd, 2018, 10:51
Zacchaeus templates?

Indeed, but for what ruleset. Templates aren't available in them all I don't think.

damned
June 23rd, 2018, 11:14
Indeed, but for what ruleset. Templates aren't available in them all I don't think.

They work in MoreCore so they must be in all CoreRPG rulesets...

grisix
June 24th, 2018, 08:04
Sorry, I am using 5th Edition D&D rules set...

Zacchaeus
June 24th, 2018, 10:47
Well as damned mentions above you might want to have a look at Story Templates. Haver a look at this video (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?37400-Video-on-Story-Templates). You'll also find some more information on creating random encounters here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Encounters#Random_Encounters) and information on tables here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Tables).

You can link the encounters into tables and it is also possible to have the table output to an encounter. However the latter isn't as flexible as creating an actual random encounter.

grisix
June 25th, 2018, 13:43
Thanks for the pointer. Story templates are super-interesting!
Are there any other <variable names> that can be referenced that re global in nature, like for example <Current day> or >Current Hour>?

Zacchaeus
June 25th, 2018, 17:55
No, the only references that can be made are to tables. The bits in angled brackets are the result of a roll on a table; it isn't referencing anything else.