PDA

View Full Version : How to create UNIQUE (i.e., no template) magic items?

Frunobulax
June 22nd, 2018, 00:04
So I want to create a new magic item. Naturally I turn to the forge to do it. But it appears I can't really use the forge without spending $30 on the DM Guide. So, annoyed, I buy the DMG. Whatever. Now I want to make an item. A new, unique one. I can drag non-magic items into the forge - fine. let's say, a ring. Now I want to add powers. Whatever I can dream up, right? There is no place to add descriptive text - maybe I can add that after it's created? But I want to add some spells to it - let's say "Comprehend languages". But there is no template for a ring that has that property already. There is a *scroll*, but that's the wrong item type. Grr...

How do I make ad hoc magic items, custom-made ones, without having a template? Or is there a way to make custom templates? I've checked google, Youtube, these message boards, and lots of places - but they all say "Pick the template you want and drag it over." But there is no template for the effects I want, especially the same *type*. If I want an amulet that lets you cast "Entangle", how can I make one if the template doesn't already exist? (I haven't checked that one, just an example).

This seems to be a Catch-22: you can't make an item without a template, and no template exists for the item you want, and there seems to be no way to make a new template, so....

I will assume that this CAN be done and I'm just doing something wrong or missing something. Either 1) I'm not searching well, or 2) no one has posted the way to do it online, or 3) it isn't possible. Which one is it?

Thanks!

Zacchaeus
June 22nd, 2018, 00:15
You can create any item you like by from the items dialog. Click the small brown button at the bottom and then on the green add button, or right click in the window and select new.

This will give you a new blank item which you can fill in with whatever you want. If you want to add a spell drag the spell and drop it into the description box to link it to the item.

More information here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Item_Sheet