PDA

View Full Version : New to FG, Need Assistance

MSgtOmniPotent
June 21st, 2018, 20:16
I just bought a license and it shows that It comes with 3.5e, 4e, and 5e ruleset for D&D. When I open my FG it only shows ruleset for 3.5e.

yesterday I went and bought a Hard cover 5e PHB(incase I run into someone else that plays in person).

I'm trying to use a Race that is in 5e but not in 3.5e.

Q1: is the reason I'm not seeing my Race because I need a digital PHB for 5e?
Q2: is there a way I can create my character on FG before looking for a 5e game with a physical copy of 5e PHB?

additional info: Trying to Make a Dragonborn/Paladin

Thanks in Advance!

LordEntrails
June 21st, 2018, 20:49
Welcome to the forums and FG!

So the license comes with all of those (and more) RULESETS. That means it includes the mechanics and character sheets, but not the content. 5E does come with the Basic Rules and the SRD for free, but those do not include the full contents of the PHB, MM or other books.

It sounds like you might have a few issues?
Can you create a new campaign using the 5E ruleset?
If so, you will then need to load the Basic Rules or SRD in order to see the available races (if you want drag and drop.)
Yes you can always manually type in all the info on the character sheet if you want.
You can also create a character using Manage Characters.
I suggest you check out a few resources; The 5E tutorial campaign (Load Campaign), the User Manual, and introductory videos.

If you have trouble finding any of those resources, just let us know.

GarthGiantbane
June 21st, 2018, 20:51
Hi MsgtOmniPotent, welcome to the forums!

You can totally make a race, class or background on your own with the hardcopy version of the players guide. You have to manually enter in all of the data. Once you get it working right, you'll have the SRD Player, Monster and Items modules and those contain the open source information from the players, monster manual and DMG respectively. So you'll have info links for some of it but I'm not sure if those work with the "drag and drop" convenience of the 5e PHB module.

So, to help you along I've attached a pregen Dragonborn Sorceror (just unzip it) for you to use as an example of what goes where. Save the file somewhere local then open the character screen and import this pregen.

Hope this helps!

Garth Giantbane

Check out the Fantasy Grounds College for videos and quick response help in Discord https://Fantasy Grounds College.net/ (https://www.fantasygroundscollege.net/)

MSgtOmniPotent
June 21st, 2018, 21:27
Welcome to the forums and FG!

So the license comes with all of those (and more) RULESETS. That means it includes the mechanics and character sheets, but not the content. 5E does come with the Basic Rules and the SRD for free, but those do not include the full contents of the PHB, MM or other books.

It sounds like you might have a few issues?
Can you create a new campaign using the 5E ruleset?
If so, you will then need to load the Basic Rules or SRD in order to see the available races (if you want drag and drop.)
Yes you can always manually type in all the info on the character sheet if you want.
You can also create a character using Manage Characters.
I suggest you check out a few resources; The 5E tutorial campaign (Load Campaign), the User Manual, and introductory videos.

If you have trouble finding any of those resources, just let us know.

When I click "Create New Campaign" , The only options showing is-

3.5E:
Basic RP
Call of Cthulhu
Castle and Crusades

RPGcore
Fate Core
Numenera
PFRPG
Rolemaster
Savage World's

I do not see 4E or 5E rulesets

If I click on the folder "Open Data Folder" located in the top right. It shows a set of folders. I will now click into Rulesets and it shows-

3.5E.pak
4E.pak
5E.pak
Core.pak
And all the rest... etc...

So the question: how do I access these when using

"Manage Character" or "Create New Campaign"?

LordEntrails
June 21st, 2018, 23:18
When I click "Create New Campaign" , The only options showing is-

3.5E:
Basic RP
Call of Cthulhu
Castle and Crusades

RPGcore
Fate Core
Numenera
PFRPG
Rolemaster
Savage World's

I do not see 4E or 5E rulesets

If I click on the folder "Open Data Folder" located in the top right. It shows a set of folders. I will now click into Rulesets and it shows-

3.5E.pak
4E.pak
5E.pak
Core.pak
And all the rest... etc...

So the question: how do I access these when using

"Manage Character" or "Create New Campaign"?
If you have the correct .pak files but they don't show up as options when you "create New Campaign" then your install/update didn't complete correctly.

Delete 5e.pak and then run and update. See if that solves the ability to create a 5E campaign. If that works, delete the other rulesets taht are not working correclty and run and Update.

For reference, 5e.pak should have a size of 6,497 KB. 4E.pak should be 4,995 KB.

MSgtOmniPotent
June 21st, 2018, 23:32
If you have the correct .pak files but they don't show up as options when you "create New Campaign" then your install/update didn't complete correctly.

Delete 5e.pak and then run and update. See if that solves the ability to create a 5E campaign. If that works, delete the other rulesets taht are not working correclty and run and Update.

For reference, 5e.pak should have a size of 6,497 KB. 4E.pak should be 4,995 KB.

Weirdly, the file sizes are correct. Deleting them and updating again did do something. 3.5E AND 5E are now there. 4E is the only one not updating correctly now. I've deleted and updated it three times now.

But thank you good Sir for helping diagnosing that issue! I have what I need now to enjoy 5E.

Final question if you do not mind.

After manually creating my character. The system will still Add proficiency and bonus to rolls and what not automatically, yes?

Zacchaeus
June 21st, 2018, 23:35
I think that you can only access the 5e ruleset via the manage character option if you just have the demo version of 5e.

MSgtOmniPotent
June 21st, 2018, 23:38
I have paid for a license. I stated this in the OP. :)

Zacchaeus
June 21st, 2018, 23:42
Oops, my apologies. Do as LE says, delete the 5e.pak and CoreRPG.pak files and do an update. Also what does it say at the top right of the start screen? If it says v3.3.5A DEMO then your license hasn’t updated. Make sure that your license key is correct in settings (only the top box should contain the key).

damned
June 21st, 2018, 23:42
When you say manually add character?
Do it the FG way.
Its waaaay faster and things just work.

Add starting array of attributes.
Drag/drop background.
Drag/drop race.
Drag/drop Class (multiple times if higher level)

MSgtOmniPotent
June 21st, 2018, 23:47
I assure you my license key has been set fine. It does not say demo.

And ofc I'm using some of the drag/drop mechanics, half the reason why I chose FG over roll20. ;) But alas, I am taking things slow because I'm new to the system and haven't watched any Tut videos on how to use the program. :)

Zacchaeus
June 21st, 2018, 23:56
If deleting the 5e.pak and coreRPG.pak doesn’t work, navigate to your installation in the program files (x86) folder and delete the fantasygroundsupdater.exe file and the start FG to force it to redownload and update.

Trenloe
June 22nd, 2018, 04:08
If deleting the 5e.pak and coreRPG.pak doesn’t work, navigate to your installation in the program files (x86) folder and delete the fantasygroundsupdater.exe file and the start FG to force it to redownload and update.
As the OP mentions in post #6: "I have what I need now to enjoy 5E." They can create a 5E campaign.

Stop trying to speed read! ;-)

MSgtOmniPotent
June 22nd, 2018, 04:14
ah Yes! I have been Helped! My Issues have been resolved! Now im just Looking for a good Group! and this isn't the place for that! :D

Thanks to everyone that Made suggestions in this thread and being such a wonderful community!