PDA

View Full Version : looking to test FG

Tambryn
May 20th, 2006, 01:32
I am online at the moment and have started up FG. I tried to start a game recently and faced a barrage of issues with my connection speed. I have a faster connection now and would like to check out its abilites in relation to the older one with regards to FG. If anyone is online and does not mind testing it out for me, my ip is 68.63.239.185 or bold gate epic echo .

Thanks for any help you provide.

Tam

richvalle
May 20th, 2006, 02:14
I'm on at the moment. It connected pretty quick.

tdwyer11b
May 20th, 2006, 06:05
hmmm, took me 27 minutes and I'm on a cable connection.

acmer
May 20th, 2006, 07:07
The speed was about 4-8kb/s. Not too slow but it downloaded 4,2mb of files. Took about 35min.

Second connection was fast. No downloads and the portraits appeared too.

Wavestone
May 20th, 2006, 11:45
Hmm.. I havent tried to connect to Tambryn, but that behaviour sounded like it was a custom ruleset. I remember when we switched rulesets in the campaign I'm in - then it took around 30 min to connect, as it downloaded the entire ruleset really slowly.

Tambryn - do you have a custom/modified ruleset which some of the others does not? Like the Complete d20-SRD from Digital Adventures?

Just a thought..

richvalle
May 23rd, 2006, 15:24
Hmm, when I connected it did download a new ruleset but it took about 30 seconds on my cable connection.
rv

Tambryn
May 25th, 2006, 02:26
So. Is it better to use the standard ruleset given the download times involved with the customs. I don't mind using the standard set, the custom ones just encourage laziness.

Tam

richvalle
May 25th, 2006, 03:54
Not if you plan for it.

I use Thore's excelent d20-srd rule set and its about 10 megs. I had all the players log in a day or so before the game started so they could download the rules. I also had them enter their character and play with the software then as well.

Rule sets work great for getting everything the way you want it. Just make sure you allow time for the initial download and you'll be fine.

rv

joeru
May 25th, 2006, 20:03
Or if it's possible, distribute the ruleset to players beforehand. Put it on your website, send it as an e-mail attachment, through MSN/Skype, whatever.

WolfStar76
May 26th, 2006, 01:28
As one of Tam's players, I can vouch for his use of the D20-SRD, I told him it was great and he bought a copy.

What's odd is he's also got some modified ruleset (d20-BUM) that, for some reason, overwrites the d20-SRD when players connect (I don't see any actual changes in the XML, but it re-pushes the d20-SRD each and every time).

If anyone might know what's causing that, it would likely solve a lot of our greif.

Kalan
May 26th, 2006, 13:30
The only reason I could see for repushin the code everytime is if Tam's been fiddlin with the xml code.

As for "custom" sets - if one is using the procedure outlined in the Workshop by the Devs for the creation of such (basically an empty folder with a modified base.xml file)...it stands to reason that any change within that custom ruleset will also cause the parent ruleset to be sent down again...