PDA

View Full Version : Looking for One More- Savage Worlds, Deadlands Reloaded

Moranthus
June 20th, 2018, 08:41
Hello,

I am looking for an additional player for a Deadlands Reloaded game that I've been running with an established group of great role-players. There are currently three players in the posse and we're looking to add a fourth. Players of ANY skill level with Fantasy Grounds, Savage Worlds and Deadlands Reloaded are welcome to apply. See below for details.

Game Details:

System: Savage Worlds, Deadlands Reloaded
Session Times: Weekly, SUNDAYS, 5PM-9PM EST
FG License: Standard License (or ultimate) required (I do not have an ultimate license)
Game Type: 70/30 RP VS Combat - be prepared to play a character but also be prepared to be challenged by regular combat.
Communication: This is a TEXT ONLY game. ALL game interactions and communication will be handled by in-client text chat only – this includes all player/DM interaction.

If you are interested in the game, reply here on the thread or by PM and I will get back to you shortly. Feel free to provide some information to me on your experience and the kind of game you are looking for. Questions are also certainly welcome.

Thanks for your interest!

- Moranthus

goodmanje
June 20th, 2018, 19:18
I’ve noticed some other games in the forums that were Text Only. Just out of curiosity why use text only? What are the pros/cons?

Moranthus
June 20th, 2018, 20:44
I’ve noticed some other games in the forums that were Text Only. Just out of curiosity why use text only? What are the pros/cons?

That's a good question.

Well for me personally I have profound hearing loss... So running a game and trying to decipher what everyone is saying in real time is not really an option... But of course that's a personal reason of my own - beyond that...

PRO: I've found text only sessions to be very immersive - especially for games containing a horror element. You're not distracted at all by the true voice of the other characters and what you find is that you start using your own imagination more to insert voices and interpret mannerisms... Think about what you do in your head when you're reading a book - it's like that, except you're writing the book with others in real time.

PRO/CON: It also sets a pace that is generally easier I've found for the players and DM to follow when the action gets tense. It's a little slower by default than voice (but honestly once everyone is comfortable with it the difference is minimal). As someone running game I don't find myself corralling table talk as much and that's also helpful. However the pace may be a little slow for some so I list this as a potential con as well.

CON: The downside really is that it requires some adjustment for people who are accustomed to games with voice.... You need to be more aware of when someone is saying something or typing something and pay a little more attention to when you jump in or contribute to the scene. Because it's easier to 'talk' over someone, especially if you're a fast on the keyboard and they aren't.

Honestly though I've found that players that give this format a chance and use the tools that the FG client gives us (ooc chat, emotes and chat moods especially) tend to really enjoy this format... It really does promote role-playing... That said, it's certainly not for everyone..

I'll go back over my chatlog and add a good example of a scene that plays out nicely in text so you can see an in-game example of what I'm talking about.

Moranthus
June 20th, 2018, 21:11
Here is a scene that took place at a famous saloon in Dodge City, Kansas. The three players are Isadora (a card sharp), Baxter McKendrick (a scientist) and Dallas West (a Texas Ranger). When you see the player’s name with a colon (:) after it they are speaking, if there’s no colon it’s an emote. Also – when you see Marshal, that’s me (The DM). You’ll note that this scene plays out at the same time from two places in the bar – the table where the characters were sitting and the bar where one of them goes to diffuse a situation.. I’ve edited out some DM and player whispers but otherwise – this is how it played out. When you read it – imagine that you’re in game reading this in real time and imagining the scene.

Marshal: You're not sure what drew your attention first, maybe it was the sound of heavy, deliberate footsteps passing by or the smell of pungent body odor and rancid alcohol. Or maybe the thump of the butt of a Sharps rifle settling heavy on the saloon floor. You look to the bar and see two fur covered men in dirty travelling gear shouldering their way past other patrons to talk to the bartender. The bartender looks at the man with the rifle and tells him that he'll be happy to serve them once they check their guns. The man with the Sharps rifle points a heavy finger at the bartender and demands he be served now. The other man shifts slightly, revealing a pistol strapped at his side. The room goes silent as the threat of violence hangs in the air.

Dallas West looks around for deputies ....
Marshal: None
Isadora puts a hand on Dallas' arm, and just shakes her head a little
Baxter McKendrick: Do not get involved Dallas
Dallas West moves to get up .... then sits back down again.

Dirty Buffalo Hunter: So you're gonna serve us or we're going to put a hole in you barkeep.
Baxter McKendrick sighs heavily
Dallas West sets his jaw forward as he watches the men.
Bartender: I... I can't serve you
Dirty Buffalo Hunter slaps the bartender hard enough to cause him to stumble
Dirty Buffalo Hunter: Say that again... I didn't hear it.

Isadora stands, and starts to swoon towards the men, acting as drunk as she can.
Marshal: Baxter stops Dallas as Isadora walks up
Dirty Buffalo Hunter turns around
Dirty Buffalo Hunter: Well...
Baxter McKendrick whispers "just watch"

Dirty Buffalo Hunter: Lookayou

Baxter McKendrick whispers "They may wish they were exploding coyotes when shes done"
Dallas West looks filled with a bad kind of anger ....

Isadora: Well howdy there, handsome~ You lookin' for a drink?
Dirty Buffalo Hunter looks surprised
Dirty Buffalo Hunter: Who.. me?
Dallas West mutters to himself
Isadora: That's right~ Youuu.
Dirty Buffalo Hunter stands up a bit straighter

Dallas West: Oh **** ... she'll kill 'em both before they can blink.

Isadora giggles drunkenly, and places her wine bottle on the counter
Dirty Buffalo Hunter smiles wide
Dirty Buffalo Hunter: Suuure!

Baxter McKendrick whispers "Shes a professional"
Dallas West: You might want to find another word for what she is in a place like this.

Bartender nods to Isadora and grabs a bottle of the cheap stuff
Bartender slids it to her with a few glasses
Dallas West: I'm just sayin' ... I wouldn't be calling her a pro in a saloon. That's all.

Isadora: I'm feeling ever so lonely, you see... You don't really wanna use those big guns of yours, do you, mister? Strong fella like you... no need for that~
Marshal: The room breaths a sigh of relief and things begin to return to normal. Chalk (the band leader) nods to Isadora with a smile and gets the band playing again.
Dirty Buffalo Hunter: Well nah... I'll sit it down here... Gotta keep it close... You know. Man needs to keep his gun close.

Baxter McKendrick: She'll drink free here for the duration of her stay.
Dallas West slowly exhales and seats himself, while watching Isadora.
Dallas West: She will at that.

Isadora: Well... maybe for my sake, you'd put it away? Guns are ever so scary in a town like this... Girl like me wouldn't know what to do if one went off.
Dirty Buffalo Hunter sits it a few feet away
Dirty Buffalo Hunter: There you go ma'am

Marshal: Isadora notices this, as does Baxter... Isadora looks past the two men she is drinking with and sees.
Marshal: The swinging doors of the Longbranch swing open quietly as a man edges through, his eyes locked on Isadora and the two men at the bar. He doesn't blink as he nods to Isadora lightly and begins to walk across the room, keeping himself behind the two men. He is dressed in good but servicable clothing and wears the badge of a Dodge City deputy.

Wyatt Earp angles through the crowd, keeping out of the line of sight of the two men.

Dirty Buffalo Hunter: So.. You're pretty.
Dirty Buffalo Hunter: Real pretty
Isadora: Oh, please... I'm just a girl trying her best out here.
Dirty Buffalo Hunter chuckles awkwardly
Isadora will do her best to keep them distracted for as long as necessary

Wyatt Earp pulls his gun silently from his holster, reversing it so he can strike with the butt

Baxter McKendrick: They make me seem like Don Juan.

Dirty Buffalo Hunter: So.. You like me huh?

Dallas West: That's because you're not covered in horse and cow ****.
Baxter McKendrick: I also know more than 35 words.
Dallas West: That's true. He seems stuck on 'purdy'.

Isadora: Oh, of course. Strapping man like yourself must have a lovely wife waiting for you somewhere...

Baxter McKendrick: Yeah tied up in a room

Wyatt Earp raises his gun, bringing it down on the back of the head of one of the buffalo hunters and then reverses it in a flash, sticking its barrel against the forehead of the hunter talking to Isadora....

Baxter McKendrick: Thats how you do that Dallas.
Dallas West: Now ... that's a deliberate kind of man.

Wyatt Earp: I'm taking your gun... And you're following me to the jail... Or I'm painting this saloon in your blood.
Wyatt Earp nods to Isadora
Wyatt Earp: Ma'am
Isadora raises her glass to him

Dallas West: Yup, I reckon' that's all she wrote for those boys.

Isadora: Sorry ugly. Have fun in a jail cell, and maybe try taking a bath... once, ever.

Another deputy comes in and takes the men out of the saloon.
Wyatt Earp chuckles

Baxter McKendrick: Well played Isadora.
Wyatt Earp: Have a drink on me...
Wyatt Earp puts his hat on and tips it to Isadora

Isadora: Thanks...

goodmanje
June 21st, 2018, 18:40
Cool, never thought of it that way.

canocstrong36
July 7th, 2018, 00:59
Is this group still looking for a player?