PDA

View Full Version : Combat Tracker Questions

CarlPalmer
June 16th, 2018, 16:56
I am about ready to run my first adventure with my party, but I have run into a couple issues while testing.

I set up an instance of FG as the DM and another connected through local host. I have a map set up with some flunkies and a PC.

The problem I have is when casting spells. I have targeted the monsters to be affected by a fireball. When I open the character sheet on the client and double click the save, it puts in chat the targeted save number: [SAVE VS] Fireball [DEX DC 10] [MAGIC] [HALF ON SAVE] but it does not roll a save for the target.

When I roll damage I get the roll with the damage [DAMAGE] Fireball [TYPE: fire (8d6=27)] but it doesn't apply damage.

Now when I do this from the DM instance from the same client character sheet and not changing selection criteria, it autorolls saves, and it applies damage to the targets automatically.

Why doesn't this happen from the client PC? Do I have to cast spells for players?

Secondarily:

Monsters are not showing up on the client combat tracker, only the player. I have tried visibility options, etc. Is this intended? Is there a way around this?

CarlPalmer
June 16th, 2018, 17:41
I found this Video by Doug where he go through this, and how to use those entries in the chat log for damage and DC of spell. Simple enough, but can you not automate it from client side so the DM doesn't even have to be involved in the fireball, just like you can do it from the DM screen? (auto save and damage application)

LordEntrails
June 16th, 2018, 17:54
First, did all entries (PC and NPC) get added to the map from the Combat Tracker? Second, did the PCs get added to the CT from the icons on the top left corner portraits? Third, on the character sheet, there are generally 3 icons, the first is the cast icon, that does nothing but count the spell slot and send a message to chat. Use the other two icons (one to roll the save, and one to apply damage).

CarlPalmer
June 16th, 2018, 18:22
I cleared out everything, readded the PCs to the CT from their portait on the character sheet
I added the PCs to the map from the CT to the Map by dragging the portrait in CT
I added 3 bandit victims from the NPC window to the CT with the hot link button
I added the 3 victims to the map from their portrait in CT

In the client window of FG, I targeted 2 bandits with ctrl click

When I attack with fireball, I have a die icon and a text description for the ST, I have dragged and dropped each to chat and double clicked each
All I get is [SAVE VS] Fireball [DEX DC 14] [MAGIC] [HALF ON SAVE]
if I drag and drop either on a token, a ST is made in chat, but only for the NPC I dropped it on. When I roll damage, it just spits out the total damage into chat.

If I go over to the GM window and double click the save Icon (from that PC's char sheet for fireball), it auto rolls saves for both NPCs, and then when I roll damage (from the PC's char sheet for fireball), it is auto applied at full or half depending on whether the save is made.

The question is, when I do it from a client window, it just puts the numbers out there, and then then saves have to be made manually, and damage applied manually
when I perform the exact same actions from the DM window, it is all automatic

Btw, can't wait for undermountain

Zacchaeus
June 16th, 2018, 19:36
You are doing something wrong somewhere. As you can see from my screenshot this works.

1) Drag NPCs and PCs to the CT - Make the NPCs visible
2) Drag PCs and NPCs onto a gridded map
3) Switch to the PCs turn
4) CTRL-Click all the targets needed
5) Click the Dice icon or the save icon on the character sheet to make the saving throws
6) Click the damage button to do damage.

CarlPalmer
June 16th, 2018, 19:52
I did steps 1-3 on the GM instance and steps 4-6 on the Client instance, and this is what I get:

Note, there are 2 fireballs, one PH and one from Rob Twohy's Spell Coding Module

Now if I open the character sheet on the GM instance, and do the exact same thing, it works perfectly like yours.

I have to be doing something wrong if it is working for you. I'll do some serious troubleshooting to make sure I don't have an extension or something causing me issues.

Zacchaeus
June 16th, 2018, 20:00
Are you using any extensions? If so try in a new campaign without extensions.

Bonkon
June 16th, 2018, 20:40
When I attack with fireball, I have a die icon and a text description for the ST, I have dragged and dropped each to chat and double clicked each
All I get is [SAVE VS] Fireball [DEX DC 14] [MAGIC] [HALF ON SAVE]
if I drag and drop either on a token, a ST is made in chat, but only for the NPC I dropped it on. When I roll damage, it just spits out the total damage into chat.

Good Day Carl :)
I am confused by the comment that you "dragged and dropped each to chat"
You shouldn't have to drag and drop at all if you have all affected targets selected, just click on the save button then damage button from the Actions tab.

CarlPalmer
June 16th, 2018, 22:45
The problem was one of the extensions I am running, or combination thereof, has caused the problem. When I rebooted FG with no extensions, it worked fine. I am going to do some checking and figure out what is causing the problem exactly, and when I do, I am going to let you know what exactly is causing the problem, in case someone else encounters the same problem.

Zacchaeus
June 16th, 2018, 23:43
I’d guess it was the layers extension, since there have been a couple of reports on that one causing issues if memory serves.

damned
June 17th, 2018, 05:30
I am about ready to run my first adventure with my party, but I have run into a couple issues while testing...

The problem was one of the extensions I am running, or combination thereof, has caused the problem...

Hey CarlPalmer in my opinion you are doing it wrong.
Fantasy Grounds has soooooooo many features and options.
Dont add anything to the base until you have the basics right.
Basics - char creation, combat, story telling.
When that is all rolling smoothly for you add effects into your mix.

Then start playing with extensions.

In my opinion you are making it harder on yourself...

CarlPalmer
June 17th, 2018, 17:08
Yep, that was the culprit.

JohnD
June 17th, 2018, 18:37
I agree with damned above.

You are trying to swallow the whole sandwich in one mouthful.

Take it a bit slower and add new functionality every couple of sessions as your (and everyone's) familiarity and comfort with basic FG usage improves.

Trenloe
June 17th, 2018, 22:37
Yep, that was the culprit.
What was the culprit? The enhanced images extension? If so, I've tested this and it works fine - and there's really nothing in that extension which would stop targeting for saves working. What version are you running?

CarlPalmer
June 18th, 2018, 15:53
So, this was my testing method.
Remove all extensions, and everything works fine
Add all extensions back and it is broken again.
Painstakingly one at a time remove extensions one by one and test, reboot FG. Repeat
I have to assume that it is a problem of a combination of extensions. I am have been trying different combinations of extensions to narrow the problem down further, but I am getting really tired of waiting for the campaign to reload over and over. (I have a lot of tables and characters that I have added.)

Testing will continue till I figure out the issue, cause it has annoyed me, and it is marked for death.

Carl

CarlPalmer
June 18th, 2018, 18:26
OK, I give up! I have all the extensions loaded and everything works now.

I have no clue since I can not recreate the problem consistently.

CarlPalmer
June 18th, 2018, 19:49
In what order are things loaded? Is it like the sidebar, where the order you click the check marks in is the order in which they appear on the sidebar? If so, that might help to explain the difficulty in reproducing the problem.

Sidenote: I really wish there were an edit mode for the sidebar to drag the icons around.

LordEntrails
June 18th, 2018, 21:25
In what order are things loaded? Is it like the sidebar, where the order you click the check marks in is the order in which they appear on the sidebar? If so, that might help to explain the difficulty in reproducing the problem.

Sidenote: I really wish there were an edit mode for the sidebar to drag the icons around.
It depends. The author of an extension can specify a load order. And then FG will load them accordingly. But, if no value is specified, then I don't know if FG loads based on file name or is random or...

damned
June 18th, 2018, 22:29
What are the extensions you are loading?

Trenloe
June 19th, 2018, 18:07
They'll load in the same order.

I think the original issue you had may have been related to the target icon in the top left corner of the modifier stack below the chat window. If that is greyed out, then targeting won't be used - and you will get the exact results you described. You may have clicked that by accident.

You can't drag them around, but you can set the order.

Go into the Library and unselect all of the campaign data items at the top of the window. Then re-select them in the order you want to see them.

CarlPalmer
June 19th, 2018, 19:49
I think the original issue you had may have been related to the target icon in the top left corner of the modifier stack below the chat window.
Yep, I'll bet that is it. I was messing around with the modifier button before it broke and before it started working again. Good catch, and would explain why I can not recreate it.

Go into the Library and unselect all of the campaign data items at the top of the window. Then re-select them in the order you want to see them.
yeah, works great, until you hit the dm button again by accident. Then the dogs go running as there is screaming.

CarlPalmer
June 19th, 2018, 19:53
What are the extensions you are loading?

Action Abilities
Advanced Effects
Advanced Kombat 5e - replaced Layers Mod
Black image mask
Core Sidebar for 5E
CoreRPG Table Import
Doe - base, locations, orgs, sound, weather
Field Filters
Image Text Labels
Sticky Windows
Windows Saver X