PDA

View Full Version : Spell progressions (spells per day, etc) for Homebrew Classes?

Varatta
June 16th, 2018, 12:57
Hey community. So FG is turning out to be GOLD for our newly reunited (after 20 years) D&D group. Thanks to everyone who got me started here - especially those who've helped me develop heaps of content.

I'm getting bold and have just put a VERY complicated class into FG and so far it's turning out REALLY well!

It's a pretty great Artificer if you're interested (I haven't been satisfied with any I'd found so made my own).

ANYWHO, how do I set spell progressions? Can I? Is there a way to get it to parse this? Can we create custom slots/day, etc? If not, how do I get it to recognize a pre-made ones? It's currently tracking as a wizard but the class is more like a warlock when it comes to spellcasting.

Thanks for your help!

Zacchaeus
June 16th, 2018, 19:58
Spell slots are determined (I think - I've always meant to test this out but never got around to it) by when the class obtains their spells. So a full caster (one who gets spells from level one) uses the spell progression of Wizard, Cleric, Sorcerer, or Bard. A half caster (one who gets their spells at level 2) uses the progression of the Paladin and a 1/3rd caster (a class who gets spell as part of their archetype at level 3) uses the Arcane Trickster or Eldritch Knight. I'm not entirely sure whether Warlock (pact magic instead of spell slots) is hard coded or whether there is some wording that can be used. You can indicate to FG that the class uses pact magic by clicking the little check box next to the caster indicator in the class and level dialog (click the magnifying glass next to the character class line to open this box).

Varatta
June 16th, 2018, 21:36
As always sir, you are a scholar and a gentleman. I've been playing with the dialog box but it seems pretty glitchy. Changes made after the character has gained a few levels don't seem to take effect. and when I clicked pack magic from level 1 it wouldn't raise the spell level or didn't have the parsing it needed to trigger a raise in spell level. Fascinating.

Moon Wizard
June 18th, 2018, 05:37
Manual changes to a class entry after adding to a PC do not update the character.

Class features, spell progression and other level up updates only apply when the clas is dropped on the PC.

Regards,
JPG

Majyk
June 26th, 2018, 03:31
Recently added 1 level of Sorceror to a 6th level Bard and the Spelluser spell slot multiplier shows up blank upon doing so(as of a few weeks ago).
This ends up not propagating 4th level spell slots to a 7th level multiclass character for 5e.
Looked this up as a bug and did not see it, if this helps confirm an issue with this feature for levelling up a second full spell using profession.

Zacchaeus
June 26th, 2018, 10:41
Recently added 1 level of Sorceror to a 6th level Bard and the Spelluser spell slot multiplier shows up blank upon doing so(as of a few weeks ago).
This ends up not propagating 4th level spell slots to a 7th level multiclass character for 5e.
Looked this up as a bug and did not see it, if this helps confirm an issue with this feature for levelling up a second full spell using profession.

I can't reproduce this. As you can see the correct levels and spell progression are shown in the graphic attached. Can you give me the steps to reproduce the error.