PDA

View Full Version : Complete: Minions

Trentos
May 18th, 2006, 20:12
I bought this today from digital adventures. It turns out that I have to make the campaign with their rule set in order to see the added monsters that were added in? :confused:

Or is there a way I can use the added creatures in the existing campaigns that I have or go in and add my own that we be re-accuring creatures in the game without having to change rulesets?

Thore_Ironrock
May 18th, 2006, 23:17
I bought this today from digital adventures. It turns out that I have to make the campaign with their rule set in order to see the added monsters that were added in? :confused:

Or is there a way I can use the added creatures in the existing campaigns that I have or go in and add my own that we be re-accuring creatures in the game without having to change rulesets?

Not true Noah. ;)

Check your email, I just sent you a clarification. You do not have to use the enclosed monster.xml file if you already have an exisiting ruleset you want to use them with. The download contains the individual entries in <node> tags that can be added to any ruleset.

Email me if you have further problems. ;)

Trentos
May 19th, 2006, 00:04
Awesome thanks so much for the quick reply. I will check my e-mail right now. ;)

Trentos
May 19th, 2006, 00:29
I am learning a bunch of new skills sets after picking up FG. Heheh so for an xml noob, what should I use to open up and edit my ruleset? View Source and then use word pad? I have tried this and still doesn't seem to want to work. I even cleared and pasted the entire monster.xml in and it still did not work.

Is there a specific way I should save it other than the normal "Save" option?

And each time my browser is opening up, a security feature keeps asking if I want to run active X features and I have to select to unblock it. :confused:

Griogre
May 19th, 2006, 09:59
I wouldn't use Wordpad or any other word processor. They often leave "hidden" formating characters which can mess up your xml. If you do use a word processor save it as plain text. You will likely have to rename the file extension, though (Note: you may not see file extentions unless you have turned them on they are turned off by default).

For quick and dirty work I would recommend using Notepad because it does not add anything that would mess you up.

Your brower is opening up because it is your default xml parser (which you do not use to edit with). It's doing that because the computer thinks you are trying to "run" the xml file instead of "editing" it. Instead of double clicking or opening the file - try right clicking on it and select edit with Notepad.

Jozie
May 19th, 2006, 13:20
Notepad works great for basic stuff. You can get more advanced programs, but for what you are doing right now, it should be okay.

Cantstanzya
May 19th, 2006, 17:17
Notepad works great for basic stuff. You can get more advanced programs, but for what you are doing right now, it should be okay.I don't suggest using notepad! There were reports earlier of people using notepad to edit the xml files and having problems. You may have used notepad in the past and not had any problems, but why risk it. Click Here (https://fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3937&highlight=notepad) for the link of the reported problem someone was having with notepad.

Trentos
May 19th, 2006, 17:28
Even opening up with the "edit" selection with notepad and pasting the information in isn't working. The file grows larger like the data is there, when I open the monster.xml again, the information is there, it's just not showing in the d20 monsters book when I start the game again. :(

Edit: Just tried textpad.. still didn't work... /le sigh.

Thore_Ironrock
May 19th, 2006, 23:10
Even opening up with the "edit" selection with notepad and pasting the information in isn't working. The file grows larger like the data is there, when I open the monster.xml again, the information is there, it's just not showing in the d20 monsters book when I start the game again. :(

Edit: Just tried textpad.. still didn't work... /le sigh.

Then try TEXTPAD (https://www.textpad.com). They have a license-free version you can use.

I really don't understand what the issue is, other than perhaps your file associations are "goofy" as a result of some installed program. I might suggest changing your XML file association to Notepad or TextPad and see if that helps. I use Notepad and TextPad all the time with no issues at all.