PDA

View Full Version : Port Forwarding Works On My PC But Not My Macintosh

dragonmajesty
June 14th, 2018, 00:08
With Damned's help I got FG working on my PC. But the same port forwarding rule for my Macintosh won't pass the connection test, and my friends cannot connect to it.

Anyone have any idea what could be keeping the Mac from working to host a game? We tried turning off the firewall and setting FG to pass through the firewall but nothing seems to help.

I may have to get used to my PC to play I guess. LOL

Thanks

LordEntrails
June 14th, 2018, 00:23
If you have setup your router to port forward to your PC, you can NOT also set it up to port forward to your Mac.

Port forward is a specific address, you can't address mail to house #1802 and expect the mailman to sometime deliver it to one house called PC and other times deliver it to your other house called "Mac".

But, either way we are going to need to know more than it works on your PC and it doesn't work on your Mac.
Did you setup a port forward rule on your router? Or are you using UPnP? Are you using fixed IP addresses for both of your computers? Have you checked firewall rules? How did you try to configure port forwarding to your Mac?

dragonmajesty
June 14th, 2018, 00:49
If you have setup your router to port forward to your PC, you can NOT also set it up to port forward to your Mac.

I did realize this. When I try the Mac, I delete the PC port forwarding rule in my router settings and then create the corresponding one for the Mac.

Originally, I couldn't get it to work on either machine. On Damned's advice, I got a new cable modem/router from my ISP (turned out the other one was really old). I set the PC port forwarding rule in my router settings.

The details it asks for are:
Device: I pick either the Mac or PC from a list of my devices
Application: FG1802
Protocols: UDP or TCP? I pick TCP.
Start Port: 1802
End Port: 1802
Target Port: 1802

dragonmajesty
June 14th, 2018, 00:51
Or are you using UPnP? I'm not sure.

dragonmajesty
June 14th, 2018, 00:57
Are you using fixed IP addresses for both of your computers? Fantasy Ground shows the same external IP when I load a campaign on both machines. That same IP is also displayed in the router settings.

Have you checked firewall rules? I did try setting FG to pass through the firewall with a rule. I also tried turning the firewall off.

I'm using OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan

Kevlyn
June 14th, 2018, 01:06
Is FG on the Mac installed as a bottle of a VM of some type? If so, there may be additional passthrough configuration required to get into the bottle. I seem to recall having some issues like this with other software when I was using Parallels and VirtualBox.

dragonmajesty
June 14th, 2018, 01:53
No I’m not using Parallels or another virtual machine. I just downloaded the most recent setup file for the Mac which I think is a wineskin port of some kind.

LordEntrails
June 14th, 2018, 05:00
Ok, some routers need to be rebooted for changes to take effect, especially port forwarding. Have you tried cycling the power and re-checking that the port forwarding is going to the Mac?

If you have, I would then wonder about the Wine wrapper. Not sure if you have to set it's network mode to something, or how to do that. Hopefully someone with Mac knowledge will stop in shortly and have some specific advice to give.

damned
June 14th, 2018, 06:13
The Port Forwarding is all working correctly.
It is an issue on the WineSkin or Mac not accepting the connection.

LordEntrails
June 14th, 2018, 06:16
The Port Forwarding is all working correctly.
It is an issue on the WineSkin or Mac not accepting the connection.
Good to hear.

By chance can you summarize what to look for or change on the Wineskin side so we know what to advise next time something like this comes up?

damned
June 14th, 2018, 06:20
Whaddya mean?
The Mac isnt accepting the connection so I dont know what the solution is...
The Port Forwarding is working - but the Mac side is not...

LordEntrails
June 14th, 2018, 17:34
Whaddya mean?
The Mac isnt accepting the connection so I dont know what the solution is...
The Port Forwarding is working - but the Mac side is not...
Ah, I thought you had figured out a solution.