PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e Players Handbook, DM Guide, Monsters Manual?

Emerald Viper
June 9th, 2018, 17:56
Is there anyway to purchase a pdf version of D&D 5e Players Handbook, DM Guide, Monsters Manual? Like you can for Pathfinder?

LordEntrails
June 9th, 2018, 18:00
WotC does not license anyone to sell or distribute PDF versions of their products. So no.

If you purchase the digital version of the 5E products on Fantasy Grounds their is an e-book like format that you can use to read the book while in Fantasy Grounds. It is called the Reference Manual. No you can not read it outside of FG.

There are many other benefits to the FG version, and some restrictions and a few older adventure modules that do not have reference manual versions. But if all you want is a PDF then no point in going into that discussion.

Emerald Viper
June 9th, 2018, 18:20
Yea, that’s what I figured. Just looking for ebook version I could read on the fly like PFRPG.
Iown FG D&D complete

Trenloe
June 9th, 2018, 18:22
Look at D&D beyond: https://www.dndbeyond.com/

Unfortunately, most things there will require additional purchases. There's no discount for having purchased WotC products elsewhere.

Emerald Viper
June 9th, 2018, 18:23
I was wondering what Beyond was, I came across it earlier.

Zomnivore
June 10th, 2018, 17:46
DnD Beyond is basically like a really useful digital character sheet you can use in your real life games. I think thats what they're targeting it for at least. Personally speaking I needed a virtual table top so I had to choose a different platform.

Emerald Viper
June 10th, 2018, 19:43
Yea. I looked at their digital copies of the books and its ridiculous, $29.99 for something I've bought twice now, One physical copy and the copy in FG, they are crazy if I am going to pay a THIRD time for this crap LOL. They could at least be like PFRPG and charge a MUCH lower rate like 9.99 for ebook. PLUS you have to use there damn service and twitch every time you want to read it, B.S. WotC. I remember when you were a fledgling group of geek/nerds like the rest of us starting MtG. Now you are greedy corporate A.H.'s

Zomnivore
June 10th, 2018, 23:09
They have to protect their gaming store partner's profits so I understand its not a easy position for them or their digital partners.

damned
June 11th, 2018, 00:52
Publishers have the right to charge for their effort, for their IP, for the value they see in the product.
Consumers can buy or not buy.
Every medium has additional costs involved in production and support.

Minty23185Fresh
June 11th, 2018, 04:01
…. bought twice now, One physical copy ...
Viper... You could scan your paper copies into PDFs. You can't distribute them to anyone. But for your own use, they'd suffice.
Anything paper that I buy, that's the first thing I do.
It's pretty labor intensive though.

lostsanityreturned
June 16th, 2018, 11:35
Publishers have the right to charge for their effort, for their IP, for the value they see in the product.
Consumers can buy or not buy.
Every medium has additional costs involved in production and support.

It doesn't make it right or mean a customer should not complain about it :P

Of course this is not really the place to do that as FG have no control over the matter.