PDA

View Full Version : Import from HeroLab

tpkurilla
June 9th, 2018, 04:39
I've done a quick look, and cannot seem to find a way to import Starfinder characters from HeroLab.

Is it possible, or do I just have to enter everything manually?

Thanks is advance.

Trenloe
June 9th, 2018, 05:08
It's not possible, you need to enter it manually. Using the drag/drop functionality from the library data should help the process.

dberkompas
June 9th, 2018, 06:54
As soon as HLO (Hero Lab Online) supports either an API for export, or allows you to export to XML, then I'll make one shortly afterwards, just like I've done with 5E for HLC (Hero Lab Classic).

Dave

tpkurilla
June 9th, 2018, 21:48
As soon as HLO (Hero Lab Online) supports either an API for export, or allows you to export to XML, then I'll make one shortly afterwards, just like I've done with 5E for HLC (Hero Lab Classic).

Dave

Excellent! I look forward to it!

Samarex
June 11th, 2018, 00:31
It's not possible, you need to enter it manually. Using the drag/drop functionality from the library data should help the process.

I dont use Hero Lab so Im not sure what would happen.

Bbut if you make you character there. Then use it to reference while creating in game.
Follow the in game design process and the automation will be set for furture leveling.
There will be a Twitch stream for Character Creation made soon to help out with creating a character in Starfinder.

Nylanfs
June 12th, 2018, 17:22
I haven't tried importing from PCGen, I should try that someday soon.

ChumSlinger
June 12th, 2018, 21:18
Hey tpkurilla,
I was considering trying Hero Labs Online to build and manage StarFinder characters for my in-person weekly game. Can I ask you a couple of questions about your experience with it? Do you find the it easy to use? Is it an accurate rendition of the StarFinder rules? Does it include the ability to print paper character sheets and if so are the character sheets well organized and attractive? Thank you in advance for any input you might have.

imjedi
June 12th, 2018, 22:26
ChumSlinger,

I have used it, and find it ok. Its pretty accurate and easy to use on mobile. Printouts are mobile printouts of the page and not necessarily representative of a normal character shoot. You can try the demo yourself without paying anything and make your own decision.

Samarex
June 12th, 2018, 22:44

Dave

The problem with Importing from HL or PCGen is your character would not have any of the leveling automation., this comes from the drag n drop functionality
Now with that said. If a player feels its easier use thozse programs to creare a character they could do so and they use it as there guide when they create there character in game.

ChumSlinger
June 12th, 2018, 23:09
I didn't think to look for a demo, thank you for pointing that out!

dberkompas
June 12th, 2018, 23:18
@Samarex,

Linking (or leveling automation as you call it) is easily accomplished. My PCGen converter and my Hero Lab classic (community released) stuff does it.
(All internal, no external tools or third-party tools necessary)

Dave

tpkurilla
June 12th, 2018, 23:43
Hey tpkurilla,
I was considering trying Hero Labs Online to build and manage StarFinder characters for my in-person weekly game. Can I ask you a couple of questions about your experience with it? Do you find the it easy to use? Is it an accurate rendition of the StarFinder rules? Does it include the ability to print paper character sheets and if so are the character sheets well organized and attractive? Thank you in advance for any input you might have.

ChumSlinger,

I find it does a reasonable job of following the rules. Since it is browser-only, though, some of the interaction is clunkier than it needs to be. e.g., when you click on a '+' to add something, you get another dialog that must be explicitly closed every time...unlike the HeroLab desktop where you can "add and close".

There are other quirks as well. One of the most irritating things is that you frequently get long lists of things to choose from with no search filter to trim the choices to something reasonable.

As for the printouts, yes you can print them. I print mine to PDF, then send the PDF to the player. As others have stated, it is a "flow" printout, so each page can have a lot of wasted space, but it isn't too bad. I'd rather have that than have the builder choose smaller and smaller fonts when trying fit the pieces onto a fixed page size. The WotC 4e character building did exactly that for the item and power cards, for example.

I do not understand why they don't provide an "export" similar to their desktop version. Hopefully they'll get there at some point.

Hope that helps.

eseell
June 13th, 2018, 01:44
I spoke briefly with the Lone Wolf folks at PaizoCon the other week. They have a long list of features that they are working on for HLO, and they said that they still consider it to be pretty beta at this point. Even with that, though, HLO is much easier to use for character creation than Fantasy Grounds. There are a lot of things that don't seem to work in FG, like feats that affect stats. On the other hand, FG supports custom items and other mods and HLO currently doesn't (it's on their list). I'm sure both products will improve over time and I'll be interested to see how they compare in a year or so.

Trenloe
June 13th, 2018, 01:49
Even with that, though, HLO is much easier to use for character creation than Fantasy Grounds. There are a lot of things that don't seem to work in FG, like feats that affect stats. On the other hand, FG supports custom items and other mods and HLO currently doesn't (it's on their list). On the other hand, FG supports custom items and other mods and HLO currently doesn't (it's on their list).
Welcome to the forums.

Keep in mind that Fantasy Grounds is not a full blown character creation application. It is not designed to be. Some of the drag/drop functionality helps in putting together a PC, but FG is not trying to be a character creation/maintenance application - it's a Virtual Table Top (VTT)

HeroLab is not a VTT.

There is some crossover between the two (FG and HL), but they are actually two different applications providing different functionality.

ChumSlinger
June 13th, 2018, 01:57
I miss the WoTC 4E Character builder. That thing rocked! :)

borusa32
April 25th, 2020, 09:25
It is ok to generate with HLO and then manually duplicate the character in FG.
I did this in my PF2 campaign and it helped me learn a bit more about the ruleset while I was at it .
It would be so much nicer if HLO enabled import into FG2 though.

JustMark
April 25th, 2020, 15:01
I use HLO to manage my Starfinder characters throughout their progression. Sure, it means that there is a lot more work to keep that system up to date with whats happening in the campaign, but it has made the levelling process relatively painless. I hate their PDFs though - I find them a convoluted mess. Otherwise I really like it, and continue to pay to use it.

JustMark
April 25th, 2020, 15:04
tpkurilla,

HLO does have an + Add & Close. I think it was recently added.

deer_buster
April 25th, 2020, 21:14
So HLO doesn't have any kind of export?

msbranin
April 25th, 2020, 21:25
Nope can generate a stat block in this form though

Kimmie
Elf priest mystic 9
NG Medium humanoid (elf)
Init +7; Senses low-light vision; Perception +18
--------------------
Defense SP 15 HP 58 RP 10
--------------------
EAC 17; KAC 18
Fort +4; Ref +6; Will +10; +2 vs. readied actions triggered by your spellcasting, +2 vs. enchantment spells and effects
Immunities magical sleep
--------------------
Offense
--------------------
Speed 30 ft.
Melee survival knife +9 (1d4+5 S; analog, operative)
Ranged static arc pistol +9 (1d6+4 E; arc 2; stun) or
corona laser pistol +9 (2d4+4 F; burn 1d4)
Spell-Like Abilities (CL 9th)
At will—mindlink (once per individual each day)
Mystic Spells Known (CL 9th; ranged +9)
3rd (4/day)—bestow curse, dispel magic, mystic cure*, slow, viral destruction
2nd (5/day)—hurl forcedisk, inflict pain, mind thrust*, remove condition, lesser restoration
1st (6/day)—identify, life bubble, lesser remove condition, share language, summon creature, wisp ally
0 (at will)—daze, detect affliction, detect magic, psychokinetic hand, stabilize, telekinetic projectile
Connection healer
* This spell can be cast using a lower level spell slot to varying effect. See the spell’s description.
--------------------
Statistics
--------------------
Str 12 (+1); Dex 16 (+3); Con 11 (+0); Int 14 (+2); Wis 18 (+4); Cha 10 (+0)
Skills Acrobatics +3, Bluff +4, Computers +3 (1 ranks), Culture +14, Diplomacy +6 (+8 vs. lay followers and lower-ranking clergy), Disguise +4, Engineering +2 (2 ranks), Intimidate +5 (+7 vs. lay followers and lower-ranking clergy), Life Science +13, Medicine +14, Mysticism +22, Perception +18, Physical Science +3, Piloting +11 (8 ranks), Sense Motive +16, Survival +9; (reduce the DCs of Culture and Mysticism checks by 5 when recalling knowledge about religious traditions, religious symbols, and famous religious leaders)
Feats Combat Casting, Extra Resolve, Harm Undead, Improved Initiative, Medical Expert
Languages Abyssal, Ancient Kishaleen, Azlanti, Castrovelian, Celestial, Common, Elven, Eoxian, Kasatha, Shirren, Triaxian, Vesk, Vulgar Kishaleen, Ysoki
Other Abilities elven immunities, elven magic, healer's bond, healing channel (8d8), healing touch, lifelink (9 HP), mantle of the clergy, steal life
Combat Gear medpatchs (2), mk I serums of healing (4), spell ampoule of lesser restoration, spell ampoule of lesser restoration; Other Gear estex suit II, corona laser pistol with 1 battery (20 charges), static arc pistol with 1 battery (20 charges), survival knife, batteriess (4), celestial stole, flashlight, mk 1 ring of resistance, staff of mystic healing, starfinder backpack[AR], credstick (2,650 credits)

Hero Lab and the Hero Lab logo are Registered Trademarks of LWD Technology, Inc. Free download at https://www.wolflair.com
Starfinder and associated marks and logos are trademarks of Paizo Inc., and are used under license.

Geodragon
November 1st, 2020, 21:12
HLO now has a Starfinder API & JSON export.. PF2 -- not yet.. Soon(tm)

dberkompas
November 1st, 2020, 21:20
About freakin' time, and too late, I don't play RPG's anymore. Gimme a few months or so, and I'll be back to work on it.

Dave

dberkompas
November 5th, 2020, 06:16
I've started down the road to creating a converter for Herolab.Online.

At this time, it populates Name, Race, Theme, Class & Level, Abilities and partially skills.

My code is in GitHub: https://github.com/BoomerET/hlosf2fg

To use it, install WAMP or Apache2, depending on your OS.

Then, inside Herolab.online, export your character.
Cogwheel upper right -> Export/Integrate -> Retrieve Export Data -> Copy to Clipboard

Paste into top textarea, click Parse Character, then Download XML. Import into FG PC's

Dave