PDA

View Full Version : Buying FG on steam and D&D complete on FG store

Emerald Viper
June 7th, 2018, 19:38
If i bought FG on steam but buy D&D complete on FG store, will they work together?

Trenloe
June 7th, 2018, 20:04
If i bought FG on steam but buy D&D complete on FG store, will they work together?
Welcome to the forums!

Absolutely! The installations use the same underlying application - Steam is just a basic front-end to the same FG application.

You need to sync any Steam purchases through the Steam Sync page before running a FG update: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/syncSteamAccount.xcp

The gotcha is that you can't buy "complete the set" products from different sources - i.e. you must complete the set all within Steam or the FG webstore, not buy products from the set in different stores.

Emerald Viper
June 7th, 2018, 21:59
I bought the Core FG program from steam. I am buying the D&D Complete bundle from FG Store, So what you are saying is any future purchase of D&D content when it comes out MUST be purchased in FG Store?
I still can buy other non-D&D stuff in Steam though right?

LordEntrails
June 7th, 2018, 22:14
I bought the Core FG program from steam. I am buying the D&D Complete bundle from FG Store, So what you are saying is any future purchase of D&D content when it comes out MUST be purchased in FG Store?
If you want to get the bundle discounts on future products they have to be bought in the same place you completed the Bundle (i.e. the FG Store).

You can buy other DLC from Steam, but if you want the any bundle discounts (i.e. Deadlands, tokens, maps, etc) then you will need to have bought all the bundle content from one place or the other.

But, it is suggested that you pick one store and always buy content from that location rather than splitting your purchases. It just makes things for yourself easier.

Trenloe
June 7th, 2018, 22:19
And just be aware that there is no purchase indication from one store to the other - i.e. if you buy on Steam the FG store won't show the same product as purchased, and vice versa. So it's good to buy all in one place - avoid the late night duplicate purchases!

And, if it really doesn't make a difference to you which store you use, we usually ask that people use the FG store - more revenue goes to SmiteWorks that way, so they have more resources to keep making FG amazing. But if you buy from Steam, that's cool... :)

lostsanityreturned
June 7th, 2018, 22:20

I would suggest just buying future content through the fantasygrounds store anyway.
Gives more back to the company and doesn't take any extra effort on your part.

In fact it is easier to navigate this store and filter the content that you do want than the steam DLC list.

Algar Dunraven
June 7th, 2018, 22:44
I would suggest just buying future content through the fantasygrounds store anyway.
Gives more back to the company and doesn't take any extra effort on your part.

In fact it is easier to navigate this store and filter the content that you do want than the steam DLC list.

So Is there really any advantage to buying anything i.e. Licenses, DLC, tokens and such on Steam as opposed to FG store?
I downloaded the demo on Steam but if it helps Smiteworks more than I should buy my ultimate license on Smiteworks

Trenloe
June 7th, 2018, 22:53
So Is there really any advantage to buying anything i.e. Licenses, DLC, tokens and such on Steam as opposed to FG store?
The only possible advantage is if you're not buying in US Dollars (USD). There's regional pricing on Steam that can benefit users in different countries. Whereas on the FG store you're always purchasing in USD.

Emerald Viper
June 7th, 2018, 22:53
Prices are BETTER on FG Store for Bundle I found. Sometimes individual things are cheaper on Steam WHEN on SALE. D&D Complete bundle was like $30 cheaper on FG Store and that was with Steam having sale on D&D Bundle :/

lostsanityreturned
June 7th, 2018, 23:03
Prices are BETTER on FG Store for Bundle I found. Sometimes individual things are cheaper on Steam WHEN on SALE. D&D Complete bundle was like $30 cheaper on FG Store and that was with Steam having sale on D&D Bundle :/

How odd, usually FG are cheaper even when there is a sale on steam. This includes the complete bundle.

Emerald Viper
June 7th, 2018, 23:12
How odd, usually FG are cheaper even when there is a sale on steam. This includes the complete bundle.

It was Cheaper on FG Store. Steam had a few modules and Handbooks on sale.... Just looked, the "Sale" items are the Same as the FG prices. So I will probably stick with buying all from FG Store, But I had bought the Core Program on sale on Steam for 26.79
LOL, Cheaper on FG Store - 26.13 LMAO

LordEntrails
June 7th, 2018, 23:15
Whenever something is on sale in one location, it is on sale in the other, with the exception of sale start and end times. The FG Store and Steam store have different times for starting and ending. I believe this is because they use different server time zones. But, within half a day or less (?) the sales are the same.

Algar Dunraven
June 7th, 2018, 23:18
Okay great. Thank you. If I buy my Ultimate license tonight, I'll buy it from the FG store

damned
June 8th, 2018, 00:14
Just due to small inconsistencies in timing of start and end of sales there is generally no intentional difference in price between the stores - unless you get the benefits of regional pricing as mentioned by Trenloe.
The exception to this is the 4 pack bundle of licenses is only available on Steam.
Some people have their entire game collection in Steam and it makes sense to keep it there is another reason you might choose Steam.

Algar Dunraven
June 8th, 2018, 14:53
I went to buy my ultimate license last night and it wasn't on sale in FG so I bought it on Steam. Saved 33%

Trenloe
June 8th, 2018, 15:05
I went to buy my ultimate license last night and it wasn't on sale in FG so I bought it on Steam. Saved 33%
Sounds like you just got in before the sale ended on Steam. It would have ended on the FG Store at midnight US Eastern time, I think Steam makes changes during working hours (at least that's been mentioned before).

Algar Dunraven
June 8th, 2018, 15:23
Yeah it was about 12:15am EST after my first class ended last night. Glad I got it when I did. Thanks