PDA

View Full Version : New and in trouble

Bryggjemann
June 7th, 2018, 09:51
New to all of this especially 5e but i cant create any characters properly as I've got no choices for class or race and I've loaded in the basic rules, i don't want to spend any money until I've played the game and made up my mind if i like all this. S.O.S.

BlueEyedShamisen
June 7th, 2018, 10:05
Find a group, when you connect to your DM's game he can grant you the use of the tools he has purchased and you can make a character and go adventuring. If you like it then grab the Player Handbook (Believe it's like $20 currently) and keep it going.

Bryggjemann
June 7th, 2018, 10:13
I also have no clue on how exactly to join a game

BlueEyedShamisen
June 7th, 2018, 10:32
Check the Looking For Group "LFG" Thread in the forums and just find peeps who fit with your schedule, I'm sure they will have no issue walking you through what to do and what you may need.

Teufelhunde87
June 7th, 2018, 10:38
New to all of this especially 5e but i cant create any characters properly as I've got no choices for class or race and I've loaded in the basic rules, i don't want to spend any money until I've played the game and made up my mind if i like all this. S.O.S.

Check out Fantasy Grounds College on these forums. There is a link somewhere to their Discord. PM me , and I would be willing to step by step you through a 5e character creation and give you a quick encounter to familiarize yourself with everything. I'm EST, we'll hash out a good time for both.
Greg
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?40020-Join-Fantasy-Grounds-College-Learn-Fantasy-Grounds-learn-D-amp-D-and-then-play!&highlight=fantasy+Grounds+College

Trenloe
June 7th, 2018, 16:00
Make sure you have a player module activated - you should have access to DD 5E Basic Rules - Player and DD5E SRD Data. Activate one of these modules from Library -> Modules - further info here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Library#Module_Activation

This will load up the module data and will populate the library window and the appropriate campaign data lists (accessible from the right hand side of the desktop).

For example, here's the Basic rules player module loaded in the library (1):

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=23696

Clicking the links will open the window with a list of the options for Background (2), Class (3) or Race (4).

To use these, create a new PC and drag/drop to the PC sheet the shield icons (the link placeholders) of the entry you want to add to your character.

There is a step-by-step guide here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Character_Sheet and also a good video to watch here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nurEMR4JJeUCreating These both refer to the Core Class Pack (the PHB FG module), but you can do just the same with the Basic Rules or SRD module - you just have less options as Wizards doesn't provide the full data in these free data packs.

Rabidbat
June 7th, 2018, 23:09
Hi I was new too. Buy the players handbook. That's all you need. It makes creating a character so much easier. You import status from it right into the game. It also helps the DM. You will love the game once you play. Don't give up. Ooops the guy below me said the same thing! :)

Morik
June 8th, 2018, 00:18
Created a new campaign. Characters are disappearing. When I shut FG down and restart, only the first character we created is still there. The rest are gone. This started a couple of days ago.

I have created our ranger three times now. Previous campaigns are fine.

Additionally, I keep getting error messages at seemingly random times, even when loading.

Morik
June 8th, 2018, 00:23
Constantly getting Permission denied messages.

Zacchaeus
June 8th, 2018, 00:31
This suggests that your data folder is in a place where you do not have full read/write permission. Where is your data folder? (You can click the small folder icon top right of the start screen to take you to it).

Morik
June 8th, 2018, 00:42
Quick update... I created a new campaign. Everything is fine. It was just that one campaign. I'm just going to delete the non-working campaign. Unless someone wants to look into it further.

Bryggjemann
June 8th, 2018, 07:50
Thing is ive gone through all that i cant get any modules to work and for some reason it wont even activate the basic rules either

Zacchaeus
June 8th, 2018, 09:38
Thing is ive gone through all that i cant get any modules to work and for some reason it wont even activate the basic rules either

If you have the demo license then you'll need to go into manage characters rather than start new campaign. Are you saying that when you go into character creation you can't see any modules in the module activation window within manage characters? Could you also give us a bit more detail on your system; are you using a mac for instance or a PC and where is your FGData folder being stored (Click the folder icon at the top right of the start screen to find out where it is). It is also possible that some anti-virus or malware program you are using has quarantined FG. Check that this hasn't happened.

Bryggjemann
June 8th, 2018, 11:15
thats all fine but basic rules say not installed

Zacchaeus
June 8th, 2018, 12:23
It looks like those module haven't installed properly, or may have been deleted. Can you delete the file FantasyGroundsUpdater.exe in the c:/ProgramFiles(x86)/Fantasy Grounds folder and then do an update to see if that recovers the files.

damned
June 8th, 2018, 13:56
Please post a copy of your Chat Window on load.
They do not look like Official Fantasy Grounds modules.
Where did you get those from?

Trenloe
June 8th, 2018, 14:19
Please do as damned suggest - provide a screenshot of the chat window just after load so we can see versions etc..

It looks like you are running an older version of FG or the modules haven’t downloaded fully (as mentioned my Zacchaeus). Please run and update (click the update button in the bottom left of the main FG launch screen).

As a FYI - you can run in campaign mode with the demo license. The gotcha is that no data will be saved, so it is best using manage characters.

Bryggjemann
June 8th, 2018, 14:40

i got the basic rules from d&d beyond and parse it to FG just so i can try and create a character and play finally

Trenloe
June 8th, 2018, 15:00
I've looked at my test demo install and the Basic rules and SRD modules aren't available to me either. These modules were available to demo users in a previous version, but don't appear to be now. I've reached out to the devs to see what's going on.

damned
June 8th, 2018, 15:16
Try switching to Test Mode?

Trenloe
June 8th, 2018, 15:19
Try switching to Test Mode?
No change.

You know what I did see though? ...

FantasyGrounds_x64.exe wizzing by... :-o It doesn't start on my VM, but still...

Zacchaeus
June 8th, 2018, 16:40
No change.

You know what I did see though? ...

FantasyGrounds_x64.exe wizzing by... :-o It doesn't start on my VM, but still...

It isn't infallible; I'm getting a few graphical glitches with it. But it does seem to run fairly well.

Moon Wizard
June 8th, 2018, 17:20
Apologies, it looks like the patch system was mostly configured to allow 5E SRD access to everyone, but one setup piece was missing. I've updated the patch system so that free users should now see a new update, and can get the 5E SRD data once they update.

Regards,
JPG

Moon Wizard
June 8th, 2018, 17:37
As for the 64-bit build you guys are circling, thanks for "outing" me. ;)

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?44204-Test-Release-v3-3-6&p=392903&viewfull=1#post392903

Cheers,
JPG

Trenloe
June 8th, 2018, 19:42
Apologies, it looks like the patch system was mostly configured to allow 5E SRD access to everyone, but one setup piece was missing. I've updated the patch system so that free users should now see a new update, and can get the 5E SRD data once they update.
Looking good! Thanks very much.

@Bryggjemann you should see these modules now after running an update.

Bryggjemann
June 9th, 2018, 03:41
:D so much better for some reason it still says 1 of the basic rules arent installed but all works fine and i can create a character without hours of data input

Trenloe
June 9th, 2018, 03:49
:D so much better for some reason it still says 1 of the basic rules arent installed but all works fine and i can create a character without hours of data input
Good to hear! :)

LordEntrails
June 9th, 2018, 03:49
If your parsed modules have name conflicts with some of the official stuff, this might make some not show up. You can again try a screen shot of the module window and also the contents of your FG Data/modules folder and we can give you more help.