PDA

View Full Version : Could not load/create - now I can't even reinstall

Lillhans
June 7th, 2018, 09:34
As per title: could not load or create content/campaigns.

Decided to backup all the campaigns and reinstall the whole thing.

Now I am instead stuck in time out for getting product. Would the two issues be related? It would seem odd if this were the case seeing as there has been no problems accessing content when *completely offline* in the past.

Zacchaeus
June 7th, 2018, 11:53
What type of license do you have? What does it say at the top right of the load screen; v.3.3.5 what? Have you added a rule to your anti-virus software to allow FG to access the internet unhindered? Has you AV quarantined FG (if you are using something like Avast - this has been known to cause issues). Where is your data folder stored? When you say you couldn't start or load campaigns did you get any errors? What happened when you tried to start a new campaign? Basically you haven't given us enough information to help diagnose the issue (like even if you are on a PC or a mac)

Lillhans
June 7th, 2018, 14:22
I can see your point... :D

Here goes

Ultimate Licensee on 3.5.5 (PC)
No error message when trying to create or load: the campaign/ruleset list was there and you could toggle each item, only nothing would happen when pressing the button to load/create. No loading whatsoever. Just dud.
No data-folder conflict (same setup as for the past 3 years) either.
Have AV set up to allow for FG to run free but....

...the crook has since been found to be Malwarebytes which after an over-night update appears to have gone 100% out of bounds.

What's curious is that the perceived block of create/load campaign was in fact just a very very long delay: minutes with MWB active, and usual swiftness with MWB disabled. I am not entirely impressed with an anti-malware program that on the one hand blocks an application from connecting to the outside world but on the other has no problem with - ultimately - allowing said program to affect

With no way of white-listing individual programs in Malwarebytes, this means one of the applications has to go...and it's not going to be FG :)

Thanks for the help, and sorry about the lack of full disclosure!

Zacchaeus
June 7th, 2018, 14:46
Jolly good, glad you got it sorted out.

Nylanfs
June 7th, 2018, 17:10
Here's where to report false positives to Malewarebytes

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/230978-possible-false-positive/?do=findComment&comment=1247505

Lillhans
June 9th, 2018, 17:50

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/230978-possible-false-positive/?do=findComment&comment=1247505

Thanks! Although, technically speaking there is no log or such to find that I can find at least: and that's not too surprising since MWB itself doesn't even register that it has picked up on Fantasy Grounds supposedly being malware.

So, on the one hand MWB block Fantasy Grounds functionality - but on the other it doesn't even register that it is blocking functionality.

Trenloe
June 9th, 2018, 17:52

That link also provides information on setting Malwarebytes to allow an application to use the Internet. You want to allow FantasyGrounds.exe and FGUpdaterEngine.exe which are usually located in \Program Files (x86)\Fantasy Grounds

Although, some users have reported that adding these exceptions in Malwarebytes didn't seem to work. Only closing Malwarebytes completely allowed FG to update.

Lillhans
June 10th, 2018, 08:45
That link also provides information on setting Malwarebytes to allow an application to use the Internet. You want to allow FantasyGrounds.exe and FGUpdaterEngine.exe which are usually located in \Program Files (x86)\Fantasy Grounds

Although, some users have reported that adding these exceptions in Malwarebytes didn't seem to work. Only closing Malwarebytes completely allowed FG to update.

Yeah I would agree: in-app white-listing didn't work for me either. Turning off the web-protection, only, seemed enough to maintain full FG functionality though (i.e. could keep wormhole, ransomware and malicious code protections on). So, something about their real-time web fence is freaking out over FG. What I have noticed is that my user name in the content management section had a long string of jibberish symbols attached to it, but there was no problem erasing and typing it in anew for enabling purchase downloads/updates once the Malwarebyte web protection had been un-toggled.

xAxTragicxEndx
June 16th, 2018, 01:43
Yeah I would agree: in-app white-listing didn't work for me either. Turning off the web-protection, only, seemed enough to maintain full FG functionality though (i.e. could keep wormhole, ransomware and malicious code protections on). So, something about their real-time web fence is freaking out over FG. What I have noticed is that my user name in the content management section had a long string of jibberish symbols attached to it, but there was no problem erasing and typing it in anew for enabling purchase downloads/updates once the Malwarebyte web protection had been un-toggled.

Agreed. I went through and added exclusions to the entire FG folder and FG Steam folder. No luck whatsoever. As soon as the web protection setting was toggled off, success on the test and instant connections.

LordEntrails
June 16th, 2018, 03:52
One of the Malware posts has a link to where you can submit false positives to the company so they (hopefully) stop blocking it.

Moon Wizard
June 16th, 2018, 04:40
Where's the link? I tried searching on their site for a whitelist page, but didn't find one.

Thanks,
JPG

Trenloe
June 16th, 2018, 04:46
Where's the link? I tried searching on their site for a whitelist page, but didn't find one.
I don't know if this is the definite route, but info here: https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/230978-possible-false-positive/?tab=comments#comment-1247505

LordEntrails
June 16th, 2018, 04:48
I don't know. In one of the other posts on the forum here someone provided a link. Probably was Trenloe and the link he posted above...

Moon Wizard
June 16th, 2018, 04:53
Ok, I just posted on that forum. Let's see if that works better than the Contact Us form.

Thanks,
JPG

xAxTragicxEndx
June 16th, 2018, 05:18
Yeah. I submitted. Hopefully it gets fixed. I like MWB.

epithet
June 25th, 2018, 16:21
A snip from the email I got from Malwarebytes this morning regarding this problem:

This is just a follow-up to let you know that we are still working on the issue and that the fix should be out soon.

I will reach out again to you when the fix is ready.

epithet
July 3rd, 2018, 21:28
The latest:

Jul 2, 15:58 PDT
Is there any expected time frame for the fix to this issue?

Jul 3, 05:41 PDT
Very soon - but because of the 4th it may be a couple more days but I would say Monday at the latest

epithet
July 5th, 2018, 17:46
I received this message today:

I would like you to try the beta version that was made to fix this type of problem.

Open "Malwarebytes"
Click "Settings"
Go to the "Application" tab
Scroll almost all the way down till you see "Beta Application Updates"
toggle the switch to the "ON" position - confirm that you want to enable this feature
scroll back up near the top and click the "Install Application Updates" button.

Once it has completed the update to this beta I would like you to turn back off the beta switch.

Open "Malwarebytes"
Click "Settings"
Go to the "Application" tab
Scroll almost all the way down till you see "Beta Application Updates"
toggle the switch to the "Off" position

Having installed the beta test version, I tested Fantasy Grounds and was pleased to discover that the updater ran without issue, and the connection tester returned a "success" result almost immediately.

Halfront
July 5th, 2018, 20:34
Maybe sticky this thread. I think I saw 2-3 other posters with same issues.

Only because i too had this same MWB issue after i needed to reinstall FG. I just disabled it until it installed. Runs fine after.