PDA

View Full Version : moving tokens on map (Pathfinder)

Haggar
June 5th, 2018, 02:20
Hi all, anyone know how I can lock tokens I put on the map (GM tokens ie. monsters) but keep PC tokens unlocked for PC's to move around. I ask because I've had my PC's accidentally on a few occasions move my NPC tokens around.

madman
June 5th, 2018, 02:23
If you are dropping them from the Combat Tracker they should not be able to move them.
If you are dropping Tokens to the map from the token box anyone can move them
I think I have seen it as rule #1 ALWAYS DROP TOKENS FROM THE COMBAT TRACKER TO THE MAP!

Lots of the things the ruleset can do you will not have access to if you don't do it this way.

Madman..

Haggar
June 5th, 2018, 02:36
Indeed it is a token from the Token box, it is a pit token I use when my PC casts create pit, I have made a token for the actual pit.

madman
June 5th, 2018, 02:40
You can leave an almost empty NPC sheet in the combat tracker and keep it hidden then just change the token. (Then un hide it)

Madman..

rhammer2
June 5th, 2018, 02:40
That is why I use the layer extension (go to the extensions thread under Core, Pathfinder, or 5E). I place dropped tokens on layer 2, PCs are on the top layer, mask and map links are on the bottom layer.

Robert

Haggar
June 5th, 2018, 05:15
ohh, I tried just dropping the token picture of the pit trap into CT, but it won't let me. I see its probably because it has to be a stat block. I guess I can just make up a fake stat block and add the picture of a pit to it and just use that?

LordEntrails
June 5th, 2018, 06:39
Make an NPC called pit, assign the token to it, put it on the CT (don't give it an initiative), drag to the map. Now the players can't move it and you can show it when you want to.

rhammer2
June 5th, 2018, 15:46
The advantage of making the trap as an NPC is that you can add the damage as an attack, so you can drag and drop the damage.

Robert

Trenloe
June 5th, 2018, 15:50
Yep, as the NPC record. Pathfinder has a toggle at the bottom of the NPC sheet to change to a trap record, so you can pretty easily add the full details of the trap itself - including damage rolls, etc..

Information on creating NPCs as traps is included in the module making guide in post #1 of this thread: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?17108-Steps-to-create-your-PFS-scenario-in-Fantasy-Grounds See page 9 onward.

Having the trap as a NPC on the combat tracker allows targeting of characters caught in the trap, triggering saves, applying damage, etc..

Ken L
June 5th, 2018, 21:31
Putting a trap on the CT is such an alien concept to me. In this situation I would drag the npc/trap link on the map and call it a day with a graphic on another layer (using an extension) as noted earlier.