PDA

View Full Version : Questions before purchase

a_verheaghe
May 11th, 2006, 21:17
Hi I'm looking for some answers before the big purchase, likely I'd be buying floating license as well as GM license.
So to get it straight in my mind as long as my firewall is allowing connections from the outside a floating license allows up to X users to join my game right? How are the licenses handed out or pulled from players?
As for rulesets, I see a ruleset for the complete srd, what exactly does this do? If I'm reasonably ambitious how hard is it to add a new game nonD20?
Thanks,
Andy

mr_h
May 11th, 2006, 21:22
Each user has to have a FG License, ie, they have to purchase a copy. I've heard there is no limit on the number of users you can have, as long as they all have a legitimate copy.
(Hint: If you think you're gonna DM, buy the full version, there's no upgrades).
(Hint 2: Have everyone buy at the same time, you can get a bulk discount if you do it under one order.)

Adding different rulesets can be time consuming (you need to know XML), but it's doable. Do some searches around the forums and you'll find lots of topics about it.

Griogre
May 11th, 2006, 21:37
As mr_h said there are no "floating" licences or upgrades to licences. The game master *must* get a full licence. The lite licences are player only. A person with a full licencse can also connect as a player. There are good bulk discounts if you buy more than one licences at once from this site.

If your game does not use dice pools and the player all have reference materials then probably the only ruleset change you have to make is the character sheet. FG does not do dice pools automatically. The rest of the ruleset is just reference material.

Make sure you play with the demo to look at the included character sheet and d20 rules to see what you would need to change and how the dice and dice macros work.

a_verheaghe
May 11th, 2006, 22:11
Oops, wrong software. Still interested in Fantasy Grounds it was another that had floating license

Snikle
May 11th, 2006, 22:54
IMHO the rulesets are really there for ease of play, so instead of looking up rules in your rulebook, they are on hand in the software already (note: do not think this is a replaceent for the rulebooks). FG can actually be used without any of the rulesets being used. You might need to alter the character sheet, but that is really something not that hard to do. Once that is done, you could play your games like that. As a DM it might mean a little more work for you (typing in all the details on a spell or creature).

a_verheaghe
May 11th, 2006, 23:11
Ok so the license bundles really make it cheap when purchsed in bulk. So if I bought all of them is it just a matter of e-mailing licenses for the players to insert after download of the lite version?

DarkStar
May 11th, 2006, 23:14
So if I bought all of them is it just a matter of e-mailing licenses for the players to insert after download of the lite version?

Yes. As far as I know it works just like that.

Griogre
May 11th, 2006, 23:34
Ok so the license bundles really make it cheap when purchsed in bulk. So if I bought all of them is it just a matter of e-mailing licenses for the players to insert after download of the lite version?
Yes, as DarkStar said, plus you would need to send them the download link(s).

When I bought the licences for my group I paid for them with a credit card and then billed all my players through paypal. As their payments hit I IM them the licence numbers and download links.