PDA

View Full Version : Star Trek Adventures Ruleset and Extension

Valarian
June 3rd, 2018, 21:01
I've been playing in a Star Trek Adventures games recently, enjoying the chance to play for a change instead of running the game. We've been using the Modiphius 2d20 ruleset with Star Trek Adventures extension that I've been building. It's available as a community ruleset, not official.

The character sheet includes dice rolls for the 2d20 system. Double-clicking in an attribute or discipline score adds the score to the modifier box, repurposed to hold a Target Number. Drag and drop from the discipline score pulls 2d20 across for rolling in the chat window. Right-clicking as you drag adds further d20s to the roll for Momentum spends.

There's an NPC sheet, and a shareable ship sheet. The GM view of the combat tracker shows current and maximum stress. Injuries and conditions can be added as effects.

Language support added for some of the Star Trek languages.

Momentum and Threat tokens are shown. Players can add and spend Momentum for their characters. The GM can use Momentum (on behalf of the players) or Threat.

Link to Ruleset and Extension (https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B75Lr5C1Hpx3dTR3T2UxUUNsc00?resourcekey=0-H8HWAgaf9yOJ4_Y9bouHtA&usp=sharing). Install the Modiphius2d20.pak file in rulesets and the StarTrekAdventures.ext file in extensions. Select the extension when creating a campaign.

Known Issues:

Throwing language file errors in FGU (missing TTF font definitions)

timdog88
June 4th, 2018, 06:49
Have you updated this recently? It looks a little different than the one I have. I'm guessing that if a community ruleset is updated, it doesn't automatically update through the fantasy grounds updated? I have to re-download the ruleset to get any updates?

Valarian
June 4th, 2018, 07:13
I've been adding more functionality to the ruleset so there have been recent updates. You will have to redownload. There's no automatic updating for community rulesets.

timdog88
June 4th, 2018, 16:15
Very cool. So if I redownload the ruleset, will I lose any campaign info I have already put in?

Valarian
June 4th, 2018, 19:50
No. The campaign structure is the same and there are no changes to character fields. Any NPCs added with base CoreRPG fields may need looking at.

Jonbens
July 17th, 2018, 04:56
I've been playing in a Star Trek Adventures games recently, enjoying the chance to play for a change instead of running the game. We've been using the Modiphius 2d20 ruleset with Star Trek Adventures extension that I've been building. It's available as a community ruleset, not official.

The character sheet includes dice rolls for the 2d20 system. Double-clicking in an attribute or discipline score adds the score to the modifier box, repurposed to hold a Target Number. Drag and drop from the discipline score pulls 2d20 across for rolling in the chat window. Right-clicking as you drag adds further d20s to the roll for Momentum spends.

There's an NPC sheet, and a shareable ship sheet. The GM view of the combat tracker shows current and maximum stress. Injuries and conditions can be added as effects.

Language support added for some of the Star Trek languages.

Momentum and Threat tokens are shown. Players can add and spend Momentum for their characters. The GM can use Momentum (on behalf of the players) or Threat.

Link to Ruleset and Extension (https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B75Lr5C1Hpx3dTR3T2UxUUNsc00). Install the Modiphius2d20.pak file in rulesets and the StarTrekAdventures.ext file in extensions. Select the extension when creating a campaign.

Hi,

I like the look of the Examples of what you've written, but I'm having a problem with installing them. I've put everything where it needs to be, but when I try to create a new campaign It gives me the Modiphius rules to pick from, but not the Star Trek Adventures extension. Any suggestions?

Jon

Valarian
August 9th, 2018, 07:26
Answers via PM:

Hi,
I like the look of the Examples of what you've written, but I'm having a problem with installing them. I've put everything where it needs to be, but when I try to create a new campaign It gives me the Modiphius rules to pick from, but not the Star Trek Adventures extension. Any suggestions?
Jon

Check that the .pak file is in your rulesets folder, and the .ext file is in the extensions folder. You should see Star Trek Adventures available as an available extension when you select the Modiphius 2d20 ruleset.

Create Campaign view (https://drive.google.com/open?id=1iJYMa88nMEt70NcedAv40cgAvo3NPksh)
Load Campaign view (https://drive.google.com/open?id=17oUDhIYYfJ4q19vRL5oAoeJCOqNOiwm0)

I dont see the Ships Tab.

Go to the modules area and tick the Ships option. The ships should appear in the menu bar.

Talen
August 11th, 2018, 16:14
Valaraian, I had a chance to play Star Trek Adventures in a game Timdog ran. We had a blast - thank you for creating and maintaining the ruleset!

Rimdog -thanks for an excellent one shot!

Samarex
August 15th, 2018, 23:45
Have you updated this recently? It looks a little different than the one I have. I'm guessing that if a community ruleset is updated, it doesn't automatically update through the fantasy grounds updated? I have to re-download the ruleset to get any updates?

Yes any of the community rule sets on the wiki need to be manually updated. So you just need to follow along the forum. The creator probably puts out update messages when he updates the code.

Voxpopuli
August 23rd, 2018, 19:36
I believe the ruleset needs update for latest Fantasy Grounds update. Some script errors using items and images

Valarian
August 23rd, 2018, 20:14
I believe the ruleset needs update for latest Fantasy Grounds update. Some script errors using items and images
Strange. Those areas aren't customised and should just pull from the CoreRPG ruleset. I'll try and have a look over the next week.

Valarian
August 23rd, 2018, 20:53
It looks like the (ID) icon isn't pulling through to the extension. It's in the base Modiphius2d20 ruleset, but not pulling through to the Star Trek Adventures extension for some reason. Not sure why this would be.

Voxpopuli
August 23rd, 2018, 22:50
Thanks for looking into this!

Skillkoil
August 24th, 2018, 22:57
Oh man I love the 2d20 Modiphius System. I can't wait to give this a try on FG. Do the momentum tokens automatically add the extra d20 to the rolls or do you spend them and right click to add dice?

Eru the One
August 25th, 2018, 00:10
Spend token(s) and right-click to add additional d20s.

Skillkoil
August 25th, 2018, 00:24
Spend token(s) and right-click to add additional d20s.

Cool, thank you!

Valarian
September 2nd, 2018, 09:29
It looks like the (ID) icon isn't pulling through to the extension. It's in the base Modiphius2d20 ruleset, but not pulling through to the Star Trek Adventures extension for some reason. Not sure why this would be.
There's an update to the extension file (https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B75Lr5C1Hpx3T2VjR0pnUGRlSGc) to resolve the issues with the (ID) icon errors in update 3.3.6. The problem was caused by an overrride of the campaign template file. I've removed this override from the extension for the moment, as it looks like the override was unnecessary. A few basic tests as GM and connected user doesn't throw up any issues. Let me know if you spot any. Apologies for disruption to games that the error has caused.

Voxpopuli
September 2nd, 2018, 14:45
Thanks Valerian for resolving the issue. If there’s is anything problematic I will raise it with you. Thanks again for creating this ruleset!

horridperson
September 2nd, 2018, 14:54
I've been meaning to play ST:A since I picked up the ruleset last year and I've had FG on my Steam account for four years without haven't figured out anything. I've been looking for players locally but may have to consider online gaming if I want to play. Now I have to figure out both :P . Your work is greatly appreciated, and thank you for giving me reason to get on this.

Xenocore
September 29th, 2018, 01:28
I see the background and the character sheets, how do we get this system to calculate successes instead of sums...

Valarian
September 29th, 2018, 07:16
Roll from the character sheet. You double-click on an attribute and a discipline. This adds the score to the modifier box (renamed Target). Then drag from the discipline to get 2d20 to roll. Right-click to add further d20s for modifier spends, etc. Drop into the chat window to roll.

The NPC and ship sheets work similarly. The ship sheet only has one die by default, as you're usually rolling an assist.

aceman67
November 26th, 2018, 11:34
When I try to add a weapon to a character/npc, I get this error:

Script Error: [string "common/scripts/list_text.lua"]:46: attempt to index field '?' (a nil value)
Ruleset Warning: window: Anchored static height ignored for control () in windowclass (charsheet_main)
Ruleset Warning: window: Anchored static height ignored for control () in windowclass (charsheet_main)

To be honest, I'm totally new to Fantasy Grounds and I have no idea on where to begin. Is there some kind of guide on how to set this up for STA? (I'm coming from running a few games on Roll20)

Valarian
November 27th, 2018, 07:16
When I try to add a weapon to a character/npc, I get this error:

Script Error: [string "common/scripts/list_text.lua"]:46: attempt to index field '?' (a nil value)

To be honest, I'm totally new to Fantasy Grounds and I have no idea on where to begin. Is there some kind of guide on how to set this up for STA? (I'm coming from running a few games on Roll20)
I've managed to replicate the error when dragging/dropping from the item list, or when creating a table line via the green plus list icon. I've uploaded a new version of the extension to fix the problem.

There's no setup required, other than creating characters, NPCs, and story items. There's no macros or anything to add. Where available, these are already coded. Double-clicking in an attribute or discipline score adds the score to the modifier box, re-purposed to hold a Target Number. Drag and drop from the discipline score pulls 2d20 across for rolling in the chat window. Right-clicking as you drag adds further d20s to the roll for Momentum spends. Players can add (double-click) and spend (drag token off the token pile) Momentum for their characters. The GM can use Momentum (on behalf of the players) or Threat.

The majority of the user guides in the wiki (Basic Guides (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/User_Guides)) apply to this ruleset.

aceman67
November 27th, 2018, 12:44
Thank you for fixing the error, and I'm loving the new LCARS theme, but how do I create weapons (and set damage dice), as when I go to create it, like Unarmed Strike, which has a 1CD damage, there's no option to set that.

Valarian
November 27th, 2018, 13:47
Thank you for fixing the error, and I'm loving the new LCARS theme, but how do I create weapons (and set damage dice), as when I go to create it, like Unarmed Strike, which has a 1CD damage, there's no option to set that.
Right-click on the weapon table area and select "Create Item" from the radial menu to create a weapon line.
The damage dice (CD) are custom dice on the d6. Right-click on the d6 in the dice area, under the chat window, and select custom from the radial menu. Then select dCD. Right-click to add dice until you have the correct number (e.g. 1CD + whatever the character's security rating is) then drop onto the damage section of the weapon. Double-clicking on the damage dice section will roll the dice.

aceman67
November 27th, 2018, 15:09
Awesome, thank you man. Really looking forward to running games with my community again :D

Now I just have to solve connection issues, but thats an entirely different issue...

Valarian
November 27th, 2018, 19:05
Awesome, thank you man. Really looking forward to running games with my community again :D
Now I just have to solve connection issues, but thats an entirely different issue...
No problem. Let me know if I can help getting used to the software and the ruleset. Not sure I can help much on the networking.

aceman67
November 29th, 2018, 10:36
Do you have any plans to add Difficulty and Complication Range modifiers to the ruleset?

And is it possible to add an Abilities library as well so my players can just drag and drop talents to their sheets?

Valarian
November 29th, 2018, 19:50
Difficulty modifiers can be added to the modifier (target number) box as a negative modifier before rolling. I don't have plans to add complications. It is possible to add a library, which I've done for my own games. The Talents and Traits will accept reference and note entries as drag/drop.

timdog88
November 29th, 2018, 23:23
Ohhh, that new theme looks good! I'll have to update this. Hopefully I will get the core rules for Christmas

Valarian
November 30th, 2018, 07:23
Ohhh, that new theme looks good! I'll have to update this. Hopefully I will get the core rules for Christmas
It's not a complete theme, only the desktop, sidebar, and chat box. I'm no artist and struggle with frame and icon changes.

timdog88
November 30th, 2018, 22:39
Yea I downloaded it last night and looked around. I like the look of it and I hope I get to play with it some more

timdog88
December 1st, 2018, 15:47
Ok, so if I want to copy and paste in a bunch of the rules from the PDF for my personal use, stuff like character options, rules and such, what's the best way to go about that? I get that for npcs I would just make the npc in the npc tab and then export, same for items, pcs and such, but what about things like rules, focuses, etc? When I was prepping the starter mod I just put all that stuff in notes and then shared them all so players could see them. Is there a better way to do this?

Valarian
December 1st, 2018, 16:02
Other than creating a library module, notes are probably the best way to go.

timdog88
December 1st, 2018, 16:39
If I wanted to create a library module, with things like focuses as a separate category, how would I do that? Or can I?

Valarian
December 1st, 2018, 17:40
If I wanted to create a library module, with things like focuses as a separate category, how would I do that? Or can I?
For mine, I've only really got the character generation chapter in there so far. I've got it structured to separate the various sections. The talents, traits, upbringings, example values, etc. are in as library links and references.

aceman67
December 1st, 2018, 18:14
That's cool and all... But HOW did you do that?

timdog88
December 1st, 2018, 19:05
Yea, that's what I'm getting at: how do you create the different heading like life path and such and then add content in them?

damned
December 2nd, 2018, 00:47
Use Story rather than Notes.
try ctrl+1 thru ctrl+6 and see what they do.

Valarian
December 2nd, 2018, 07:52
Use Story rather than Notes.
try ctrl+1 thru ctrl+6 and see what they do.
You can't drop story entries into the talents/traits sections of the character sheet. I'll see what I can put together in terms of a library template, that will show the structure without any actual content.

damned
December 2nd, 2018, 11:09
Hah - my bad - sorry!
The ctl+1-6 is still valid for notes too!

Trenloe
December 2nd, 2018, 12:55
Details of formatting options here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/The_Basics#Formatted_Text_Fields

Vackipleur
December 21st, 2018, 23:33
Right-click on the weapon table area and select "Create Item" from the radial menu to create a weapon line.
The damage dice (CD) are custom dice on the d6. Right-click on the d6 in the dice area, under the chat window, and select custom from the radial menu. Then select dCD. Right-click to add dice until you have the correct number (e.g. 1CD + whatever the character's security rating is) then drop onto the damage section of the weapon. Double-clicking on the damage dice section will roll the dice.

Hi Valarian,

Double-clicking doesn't work. Have you the same issue?

Valarian
December 22nd, 2018, 07:11
Hi Valarian,
Double-clicking doesn't work. Have you the same issue?
I'll take a look at some point. You should also be able to drag & drop to the chat window.

Vackipleur
December 23rd, 2018, 20:26
I'll take a look at some point. You should also be able to drag & drop to the chat window.

Ah good idea. Thanks :)

LightBringer
May 31st, 2019, 01:12
Hello Valarian - did you have chance to take a look at the set? Thanks!

cboillot
August 11th, 2020, 16:37
Where do I place the pak files? Do they go under Rulesets?

LordEntrails
August 11th, 2020, 16:55
Where do I place the pak files? Do they go under Rulesets?
Yes :)

.pak > Rulesets
.ext > Extensions
.mod > Modules

Valarian
August 11th, 2020, 18:30
The reason that they're separate was that I'd planned to do a generic 2d20 ruleset as a base, then the specific modifications as extensions or sub-rulesets. With the official rulesets for Conan and Star Trek Adventures coming out, I've not developed these further. When you create a campaign, select the Modiphius2d20 ruleset and the Star Trek Adventures extension. Apologies for the extra complication.

CapeAndMask
August 17th, 2020, 02:11
I've got the extension file, changed it to Zip and tried to open it up and place it at various items and having no luck. Any advice for how to set it up? Note I am using the unity if that makes any differance.

Valarian
August 17th, 2020, 09:53
I've got the extension file, changed it to Zip and tried to open it up and place it at various items and having no luck. Any advice for how to set it up? Note I am using the unity if that makes any differance.
Just move the .pak and .ext files to the correct folder in the Fantasy Grounds folder. You don't need to change the extension or unzip it unless you're making modifications.
.pak > Rulesets
.ext > Extensions
.mod > Modules

When starting a campaign, select the Modiphius2d20 ruleset and the Star Trek Adventures extension.

CapeAndMask
August 18th, 2020, 00:48
It was me thinking that the .pak file was in the .ext Now I got it working, a few issues

[8/17/2020 6:45:12 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] font: Missing TTF tag for font (Vulcan). [StarTrekAdventures] [extension.xml]
[8/17/2020 6:45:12 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] font: Missing TTF tag for font (Andorian). [StarTrekAdventures] [extension.xml]
[8/17/2020 6:45:12 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] font: Missing TTF tag for font (Tellarite). [StarTrekAdventures] [extension.xml]
[8/17/2020 6:45:12 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] font: Missing TTF tag for font (Klingon). [StarTrekAdventures] [extension.xml]
[8/17/2020 6:45:12 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] font: Missing TTF tag for font (Romulan). [StarTrekAdventures] [extension.xml]
[8/17/2020 6:45:12 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] font: Missing TTF tag for font (Cardassian). [StarTrekAdventures] [extension.xml]
[8/17/2020 6:45:12 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] font: Missing TTF tag for font (Bajoran). [StarTrekAdventures] [extension.xml]
[8/17/2020 6:45:12 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] font: Missing TTF tag for font (noneoftheabove). [StarTrekAdventures] [extension.xml]

But hopefully good enough for me to start working on it.

Thanks,

Cape

Valarian
August 18th, 2020, 07:35
These are the fonts for the language functionality. FGU expects TTF fonts instead of the custom font formats. The unknown language display probably won't work in FGU. Other than that, the functionality of the character sheet, npc sheet, ship sheet, combat tracker all look fine.

Jonbens
August 18th, 2020, 16:50
Cool. I'll try this tonight.

Jonbens
August 24th, 2020, 03:12
Hi Gang,

I just opened up my game in Unity using the Community Mod I was using in Original FG. Is there an easier way of Moving PCs and NPCs from the Original FG to Unity without having to rewrite them completely? Also, has anyone created Items for the game? Thanks.

LordEntrails
August 24th, 2020, 05:02
Just copy the whole campaign. No need to do things one at a time. https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?55522-How-to-Migrate-a-FGC-Campaign-to-FGU

spire
August 28th, 2020, 19:54
The extension is in the extension folder, and the ruleset is in the ruleset folder ... the latter shows up as an option for new campaigns, but the Star Trek extension doesn't appear in the list of extensions.

Using FGU.

Any easy explanations that I've somehow missed here?

EDIT
Nevermind: somehow the file had become recognized as a ZIP archive, even with the EXT suffix present. I redownloaded and all was well.

cboillot
August 28th, 2020, 23:32
The reason that they're separate was that I'd planned to do a generic 2d20 ruleset as a base, then the specific modifications as extensions or sub-rulesets. With the official rulesets for Conan and Star Trek Adventures coming out, I've not developed these further. When you create a campaign, select the Modiphius2d20 ruleset and the Star Trek Adventures extension. Apologies for the extra complication.

No need to apologize. I'm very new to FG so I wasn't sure what to do. Since you have stopped work on this, I wish they would hurry up and finish the official one.

Jonbens
September 11th, 2020, 20:29
Any further Update about the release? Lol, I feel like a Kid on a family road trip..."Are we there yet, are we there yet?!". Lol.

CapeAndMask
September 11th, 2020, 20:55
Ditto, planning on starting a campaign Oct 3rd and trying to figure out what approach to take. Hoping Fantasy Grounds rather then Roll 20

Jonbens
September 12th, 2020, 01:49
The community version is still pretty good. Stay with that until the official one comes out.

cboillot
September 16th, 2020, 19:41
FYI Just got word that the Star Trek Adventures rule set should be hitting beta testing in the next week or two

https://nerdeyegames.com/Forums/forumid/4/threadid/91/scope/posts/Star-Trek-Adventures-Beta-Program

Jonbens
October 24th, 2020, 01:39
Not getting much in the way of updates at the dev site or here. does anyone here know what the Status is for the official ST:A Add on? Does anyone know if there's a time frame for release or Beta?

Valarian
October 24th, 2020, 07:11
This is the thread for the community version. The best source of information about the official ruleset is the nerdy eye website linked above. I'm not updating the community version, pending an official release.

SlinkyTWF
November 17th, 2020, 20:45
Obsolete Post

SlinkyTWF
November 17th, 2020, 20:47
As of this morning (17 Nov 2020), the link to the Nerdy Eye Games Web site is returning a 404 error. Not sure if that's just a hiccup of whether it's out-of-service or changed. There is a new link, suggesting that they changed their company name.

https://nerdeyeindustries.com/Forums/GroupID/2/ForumID/7

cboillot
November 17th, 2020, 20:52
As of this morning (17 Nov 2020), the link to the Nerdy Eye Games Web site is returning a 404 error. Not sure if that's just a hiccup of whether it's out-of-service or changed. There is a new link, suggesting that they changed their company name.

https://nerdeyeindustries.com/Forums/GroupID/2/ForumID/7

There was an announcement on the site at one time that they were going from Nerdy(?) Eye Games to Nerd Eye Industries

Jonbens
November 17th, 2020, 21:34
https://nerdeyeindustries.com/

Jonbens
February 5th, 2021, 23:27
Hi Valatian. Have you heard anything new about ST:A official add on? Also, since its been months since the beta as supposed to be out and not A lot of update from the 'official' developer, have you considered putting any more work into you community version? I like your version and I thought that was a good start. Anyway, just asking.

Valarian
December 20th, 2021, 07:31
Updated the link in the original post to fit with the new Google Drive format.

johnecc
December 20th, 2021, 22:53
Hi Valarian, just to let you know the extension is throwing errors. It doesn’t recognise the true type fonts for the various languages.

Valarian
December 21st, 2021, 13:18
Hi Valarian, just to let you know the extension is throwing errors. It doesn’t recognise the true type fonts for the various languages.
Okay. I don't think I've tried the ruleset in FGU. I'll see what I can do with it.