PDA

View Full Version : Can't find optimal token design information

GavinRuneblade
June 2nd, 2018, 22:10
So I was looking here in the forums and on the wiki and I cannot find any guidance on what are optimal proportions for the images used as tokens. Also are .jpg or .png better because I'm not familiar with transparency in .jpg I only have used .png for that. I assume I cannot be the first person to ask so it is my weak search-fu at play. Can someone kindly point me in the right direction?

Finally, is there a way to set a different image for a pc and an npc to use as their portrait so one is the portrait and the other is the token on battlemaps?

Thanks!

Zacchaeus
June 2nd, 2018, 22:15
Tokens are always .png files. Make them 100x100 for medium or less; 200x200 for large and 300x300 for anything bigger.

Trenloe
June 3rd, 2018, 00:22
And to change the token for a PC or NPC simply drag the new token to the token frame on the character sheet or in the combat tracker, then drag the updated token from the CT to the map.

Additionally - the official SmiteWorks guidelines for small or smaller creatures is to use a token size of 75x75 pixels. Otherwise, the guidelines are what Zacchaeus mentions.

GavinRuneblade
June 3rd, 2018, 05:07
And to change the token for a PC or NPC simply drag the new token to the token frame on the character sheet or in the combat tracker, then drag the updated token from the CT to the map.

Additionally - the official SmiteWorks guidelines for small or smaller creatures is to use a token size of 75x75 pixels. Otherwise, the guidelines are what Zacchaeus mentions.

Is there a way though to make the character portrait for a pc different from their token? on the character sheet they are two different pictures on opposite sides of the main page but when I update either one it changes both.

GavinRuneblade
June 3rd, 2018, 05:11
Tokens are always .png files. Make them 100x100 for medium or less; 200x200 for large and 300x300 for anything bigger.

Thanks! Is there a way this could be added to the wiki so other people can find it easily? And thanks Trenloe for the sizes for small ones!

sirkerry
June 3rd, 2018, 05:48
This is already in the wiki at https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Developer_Guide_-_Token_Packs, but the pixel sizes given are somewhat different than what has been posted in this thread:

Tokens should be 50px by 50px for smaller than human size tokens, 100px by 100px for human sized tokens, and 200px by 200px for anything larger than human.

Zacchaeus
June 3rd, 2018, 08:59
The ‘official’ sizes were changed a few months ago and I have been updating all of the 5e tokens as and when I have cause to do other things in the module. The three sizes are as noted in my post above. However this is only for official products so you can really make the tokens any size you want. I would not make the sizes too much smaller or too much larger than those dimensions.

Hector Trelane
June 3rd, 2018, 11:50
Is there a way though to make the character portrait for a pc different from their token? on the character sheet they are two different pictures on opposite sides of the main page but when I update either one it changes both.

Yes. Double-click inside the portrait frame on the PC sheet to open the portrait selection interface. Once the portrait is selected, drag your preferred token onto the token spot.

Zacchaeus
June 3rd, 2018, 12:32

Drag a token into the right hand token placeholder. This will overwrite any portrait that's in there. By default the allocating a portrait also fills in the token slot if there isn't already a token there.

Trenloe
June 3rd, 2018, 17:58
As I mentioned in the post quoted: "And to change the token for a PC or NPC simply drag the new token to the token frame on the character sheet or in the combat tracker, then drag the updated token from the CT to the map."