PDA

View Full Version : Creating GURPS Modules

AlexCamacho9275
June 2nd, 2018, 03:24
Say I wanted to take a book (Characters, Martial Arts, Gun Fu, etc.) and create a .mod file for my personal use. Where would I begin reading up on making a unique .mod file that would contain Advantages, Disadvantages, Skills, Techniques, Spells, Powers, and Equipment?

I've found a few helpful threads on exporting the .mod, changing it to a zip, but I really don't know what to look for when it comes to adding new things (advantages, disadvantages, skills, etc.), linking them to Stats, linking them to weapons, etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Exalted
June 5th, 2018, 18:02
Would also be interested in this. I think the easier approach would be to learn how create modules (in general) and then applying for this ruleset. I'm trying to find some guide on the other forum sections.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
June 5th, 2018, 18:18
I want create modules for personal use too,but I think that is better wait for the drag n drop function...

HalC
July 12th, 2018, 01:14
If you want to create modules from GURPS material, for your own use, you will likely be using the STORY area to organize your data. You can store things in the Items area (for equipment for example) and store that to a db file. What is involved in all of this, is that there is a function in FG, that allows you to export the currently saved material in your campaign, to a module. You have to tick off with a check mark, those things you want IN the module you want to save.

For example, suppose I wanted to create entries from GURPS CLASSIC ULTRA-TECH and store it in a module. The first thing I'd do is create a campaigned called GURPS ULTRA-TECH. Then, one by one, I'd enter in the material of each "equipment" item that I want in my module. Once I've got everything in it, I'd go to the "Library" button, and click it open. Then I'd select the Modules button. That in turn, will give me a window titled "Data Module Activation" To the lower right of that window, you will see "Export". Click on that. This will open the FINAL window you need in order to export everything you placed into your "campaign". The top of the window will say "Module Export" and it will have basically four sections in it. The first one asks you to make a file name. The second is asking you for where you have the thumbnail jpg or bmp picture (and is optional). In the next category, you will see the lines listed with
Name
Category
Author
and then there will be a "Read only" radio button and a Player Module? radio button.

Next section will then ask you for what you want to export into the module. Your choices will be:
Effects
Encounters
Encounters (random)
Images and Maps
Items
Modifiers
NPCs

The last section will be titled Exported Tokens

That's largely all that is involved in creating your own modules. There are videos on YOUTUBE that explain the entire process if you're interested. If you would prefer to join up in an FG session for a Q & A and to see what I've been doing with NIGHT CITY for my GURPS CYBERPUNK stuff, simply email me or send a private message and I'll see about arranging a session to demonstrate things.

ronnke
July 12th, 2018, 02:16
Great information HalC.

Jaxilon
October 9th, 2018, 17:11
Thanks for the step by step. I'm working on this as well.

I'm also interested in creating Adventures for public consumption. By that I mean creating a generic Adventure that anyone can use in their own campaign, GURPS or otherwise.
Not sure how to do that quite yet but it's early days. I'm still learning the guts of FG even though I've had it for a bit already.

I'm a C# developer so I figure I can do conversions if needed so long as I know what I'm going from and to.

I am attempting to use Articy Draft 3 (https://www.nevigo.com/en/) to build my worlds, locations and stories but I'm new to that software as well and not sure if it'll pay off in the end. I've built stuff directly in FG so far but Articy exports xml and various other objects and documents that integrate with Unity, Unreal (currently WIP), etc.

I'm squeezing all this around work, building a house and other real life obligations so I'm quick as a snail.

Basically, lots of midnight oil burning which may not be the best for learning new things so I love clear explanations.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
October 9th, 2018, 20:07
I prefer to wait for the update that will one day leave drag and drop, because it would look better, because it would allow the characters and NPCs to be created directly inside the Fantasy Grounds, another thing I'm curious is if it would be possible to put a padlock on those I advantages description | Disadvantages | Skills etc ....