PDA

View Full Version : DIE Hard Gaming?

osarusan
June 1st, 2018, 02:06
When you open up the CoC7e Ruleset there's a message that says the ruleset was done by DIE Hard Gaming with a link that points to www.diehard-gaming.com (https://www.diehard-gaming.com)

Are these the guys that did the ruleset? Because first of all, nice job!

Mainly I'm asking because the website mentions stuff like ruleset conversions and commissions, but the website appears to only be half-done and doesn't have a contact form. If ruleset commissions were a thing I was really hope to talk to them about a Hackmaster Ruleset.

Zacchaeus
June 1st, 2018, 02:35
It’s a bunch of Aussie blokes. You’ll find damned (who is one of them) plastered all over these forums.

damned
June 1st, 2018, 03:23
osarusan yes ianmward and damned and yes the website is less than half done :)
too many things to do.
anyways... Id really try and use MoreCore for your Hackmaster.
I cant recall just now if we added some Hackmaster Rolls yet or not... if not find the MoreCore thread and explain in serious detail the Hackmaster roll - look over some of the last posts to see the type of questions/answers required...

Rulesets take a lot of effort to build.
They are usually built as a Community (free and generally unlicensed) ruleset or a Store (commercial and licensed) ruleset.
Community rulesets are built by fans who really want to take on that project and generally for a system they really enjoy
Commercial rulesets usually see the dev get a %split of sales. Generally a game with a small market share like Hackmaster would not see the dev get paid a whole lot
You could commission a ruleset but I imagine that the cost would be higher than most fans would be willing to pay...
Rulesets tend to take several hundred hours of programming and reference manuals also take a substantial amount of time - also sometimes well over a hundred hours...

You can always send me your email via PM me if you wanted to discuss things.

osarusan
June 11th, 2018, 05:33
Cool, thanks for replying!

I've considered using MoreCore for Hackmaster, although I remember running into some confusion in the case of penetrating/exploding dice and not being able to find out in docs how they worked. If I do end up running a game over FG that's probably what I'll use. The downside is that it would require everyone manually typing out all their rolls for each item and so on. It wouldn't really be much different than using pencil & paper after all, so it's not a big loss or anything, but having the rules & gear input in the system is super convenient. Convincing my players to sort of "build it as we go" will be a bit rough, and sadly I don't have the freetime I once did to be able to work on that myself.

I realize Hackmaster's a small enough game that it probably wouldn't have the biggest audience for sales of the ruleset, making it possibly not worth the cost of developing. Which kills me because it's such a good set of rules!!

But thanks for your reply! And keep up the good work! I really like the CoC 7e ruleset!

damned
June 11th, 2018, 07:22
Hi osarusan Hackmaster definitely has its fans.
My take on it is that I would only create the items I need, when I need them.
Make 3 types of armour, 6 types of weapons, 10 1st level spells.
Make 6 monsters to get you thru session 1 (and probably 2) and add some more each week.
Periodically export your data.
--
If your data doesnt include fluff text and if there are no named objects/places in use you can probably share the data too - no one can copyright a short sword, leather armor, cure light wounds, sleep, goblins, orcs and giant spiders.
--
Also share the XML character sheets so that others can learn from them and they can evolve with some collaboration.