PDA

View Full Version : Terrain Specific Random Encounter Generator

Neovirtus
May 31st, 2018, 04:14
Hey everyone!

Wanted to share a tool I've been creating for my own campaign, which hopefully will be of use to some other people here. I'm running a West Marches campaign, where I wanted to be able to generate random encounters based upon the type of terrain the party was exploring. The attached module is a series of large tables that have monsters grouped according to environment or plane of origin. There are also some simple tables which call the monster tables, Low, Moderate, and High Danger Random Encounters, where you can tailor the frequency of encounters. Also, just to be clear, the tables don't generate full encounters with CR based balance, but rather a single monster type. What I plan to do with it is to add multiple copies of the monster, or roll again to create diversity.

A few notes:
1) I built this with all the monsters I have access to in Fantasy Grounds (MM, Volo's, and Tome of Beasts), if you don't have access to some of these you will have to make some modifications (or be willing to reroll as necessary)
2) In my campaign, legendary creatures are unique and have specific areas of influence, so they can't be encountered randomly. This means, for the most part CR>15 are left out of the encounter tables (and all dragons).
3) Generally, the frequency of a monster is tied to its CR. The more challenging it is, the harder it is to find.
4) Lastly (that I can think of right now), monsters that are a more specific variety of another monster (say Gnoll Pack Lords) are much rarer than their common counterparts, assuming that if you randomly encounter one they will be accompanied by many of their common friends.

At any rate, please check it out! Feel free to make it your own and let me know if you can think of anything that would make it better.

Thanks,
Lavoiejh

sirkerry
May 31st, 2018, 15:55
So, this is just for D&D 5E?

Neovirtus
May 31st, 2018, 15:58
So, this is just for D&D 5E?

Yes, my apologies, I should have mentioned that. This is D&D 5e, with monsters from the source books I listed.

Zacchaeus
May 31st, 2018, 17:51
I'm moving this to the 5e forum since it isn't an extension and is only applicable to the one ruleset.

Neovirtus
May 31st, 2018, 17:53
I'm moving this to the 5e forum since it isn't an extension and is only applicable to the one ruleset.

Ok, thanks. I sifted through the forums for a while trying to figure out where I should post it, and I couldn't decipher what the right one would be.