PDA

View Full Version : Changing Rulesets

Kalan
May 10th, 2006, 13:47
Is there a quick and painless way to change an existing campaign from one ruleset to another? Thankfully we have yet to really start the campaign, but the players do have the rulesets and their characters made in the old set.

And I have a number of maps and images already linked to the current campaign files. Aside from changing the db.xml (I think that's the file) to the new name is there anything else I should make sure of?

DarkStar
May 10th, 2006, 14:02
You need to change all pathnames in XML documents, where the old ruleset name occurs. Not only in db.xml, I'm afraid.

kalmarjan
May 10th, 2006, 15:54
Is there a quick and painless way to change an existing campaign from one ruleset to another? Thankfully we have yet to really start the campaign, but the players do have the rulesets and their characters made in the old set.

You need to change all pathnames in XML documents, where the old ruleset name occurs. Not only in db.xml, I'm afraid.

There is a simpler way to do this, if you created a ruleset that has no modifications from the original. (Icons and the like)

Simply change your campaign.xml file to relfect the ruleset name. I think the code is:

<ruleset name="{name of your ruleset here.xml}" />

If you have made modifications to graphics, or character sheets, then it is a matter of opening up all xml documents with an xml editor and replacing the pathname with the new pathname. (You can do this easily with the cntl-H function.)

If you are looking at standard graphics that are modified, it is a little harder, as you will need to replace the generic name with the complete path. For examle:

..."icon_name.png"

becomes

..."rulesets/{name of your ruleset here}/data/icons/icon_name.png"

And I have a number of maps and images already linked to the current campaign files. Aside from changing the db.xml (I think that's the file) to the new name is there anything else I should make sure of?

Good news here. As long as all you did was modify the ruleset, all images in your campaign will still be linked correctly. No need to change anything. If you have renamed your campaign, follow the above ctrl-H method to replace the name of the campaign with the new one.

I hope that helps

Sandeman