PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate Undermountain

LordEntrails
May 29th, 2018, 20:28
So yesterday I finally created a page for my Undermountain project. It's scheduled for release on the DMsGuild this summer as a set of FG modules. If you are interested in keeping track of the progress, read insights and samples, checkout sample maps, etc. Drop by the page Ultimate Undermoutain (https://www.facebook.com/UltimateUndermountain) and let me know what you think.

I also have the Discord Server for NYDUM (https://discord.gg/WdMC26X)(Not Your Dad's UnderMountain) that you can join too. I'll be working to keep both places in sync and with interesting stuff daily.

And of course you can always reach me here too :)

Nyghtmare
May 30th, 2018, 03:58
Way cool. Undermountain was always a favorite setting for me, and TSR/Wizards never did release everything that was created for it.

Martin2301
May 30th, 2018, 15:23
Cool! I have had in mind to work on the world's largest dungeon like a similar project! Could be nice

LordEntrails
May 30th, 2018, 16:15
Thanks guys. It's been a long haul but seeing the light at the end of the tunnel is exciting :)

Gwydion
May 30th, 2018, 16:19
Thanks guys. It's been a long haul but seeing the light at the end of the tunnel is exciting :)

Thanks for keeping us posted! I think I'll join your discord to keep track of where this stands. Very exciting!

Doomskull
June 3rd, 2018, 05:34
This was exactly the project I was going to take up...eventually. You beat me to it! I can't wait to see how you guys fleshed it all out.

dberkompas
June 3rd, 2018, 06:05
and now we're getting official Undermountain for 5E!!!!!

Dave

LordEntrails
June 3rd, 2018, 07:01
This was exactly the project I was going to take up...eventually. You beat me to it! I can't wait to see how you guys fleshed it all out.
Looking for collaborators...

and now we're getting official Undermountain for 5E!!!!!
What I've been expecting, and planning on, for 2 years now. Am excited to see what they end up doing, I think it will be better than anything they've done before, I hope so.

A difference is that in a printed book you can never actually detail the full place. Just simply too many (4000+) locations. In digital products, like FG, you actually can. That's what I've been trying to do :)

LordEntrails
June 4th, 2018, 18:34
FYI, I will be on the GM Guildhall Interviews stream starting in less than half an hour. Catch the stream live or recorded if you'd like.

https://www.twitch.tv/plasticageplays

LordEntrails
June 5th, 2018, 02:01
FYI, I will be on the GM Guildhall Interviews stream starting in less than half an hour. Catch the stream live or recorded if you'd like.

https://www.twitch.tv/plasticageplays
If you want to check out my ugly mug, the video is now on YouTube; https://youtu.be/qv4dApc6wkU?t=210

Nyghtmare
June 5th, 2018, 03:25
I tried to watch the video, but with the guy vaping so much and me having an issue with smoking, I only got about 6 minutes into it before I had to stop...

LordEntrails
June 5th, 2018, 06:43
I tried to watch the video, but with the guy vaping so much and me having an issue with smoking, I only got about 6 minutes into it before I had to stop...
Sorry to hear that :( But thanks for taking a look at it.

I'm not a smoker, but as long as I can't smell it I'm able to pretty much ignore it. I figure vaping is probably safer for them, and us, than cigarettes are anyway, so their's that.

Nyghtmare
June 5th, 2018, 14:36
It just doesn't seem professional to me, for some reason, above and beyond my own personal thought on the habit itself. Who wants to see someone's screen filled with smoke as they slowly kill themselves?

LordEntrails
August 8th, 2018, 21:36
The first group to stream Ultimate Undermountain launches episode 1 in less than 5 hours. More info; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?45058-Strangers-in-a-Cave-A-5E-Undermountain-Live-Stream

mlesnews
August 18th, 2018, 21:15
Outstanding LordEntrails (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/member.php?34276-LordEntrails), I must say this is an ambitious endeavor, to say the least! I'm staying tuned to your streams and Facebook group. We must all be under an ancient Chinese curse, i.e. - "May you live in interesting times."

LordEntrails
August 19th, 2018, 02:58
Outstanding LordEntrails (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/member.php?34276-LordEntrails), I must say this is an ambitious endeavor, to say the least! I'm staying tuned to your streams and Facebook group. We must all be under an ancient Chinese curse, i.e. - "May you live in interesting times."
Thanks!

LordEntrails
September 23rd, 2018, 22:45
Well, this isn't a picture of the FG adventure module, but it is of a test print of the poster map. (The module is in its final stages too.) I'm excited and thought I would share. This is a proof print I did of the poster map before I finalize it for the real printers :) 16 letter size sheets, 24 x 36".

damned
September 23rd, 2018, 23:26
Holy schmoly!

LordEntrails
September 24th, 2018, 01:55
Holy schmoly!
*lol* Thanks!

shadzar
September 24th, 2018, 09:05
It just doesn't seem professional to me, for some reason, above and beyond my own personal thought on the habit itself. Who wants to see someone's screen filled with smoke as they slowly kill themselves?

while i can understand an honest smoker, since they usually don't chain smoke while streaming. the vapers are a problem. glad i was warned before finally getting around to this on YT. i have already placed my smokes out of reach. these vapers dont understand that the smoke reflex is worsened by vapers because every other minute they jsut pick up and puff. while an actual smoker could wait 30 minutes, so the contagion, seeing the smoke from a vaper makes an actual smoker that is addicted to cigarettes reach more often for the real thing.

you can see it with vapers also, one vapes, then everyone else on cams goes to vape after, just like you would expect from an actual cigarette. it seems only to be the kids smoking wacky tobacky and vapers that like to make fancy smoke plumes to impress people. the actual smokers i see you might see the cig, but then the smoke if blown offscreen.

and no vaping isnt any safer really. you exchange the carcinogens from the tobacco and filter, for the burning cotton and polyester in the tincture wick. the only "safe" is the ones you get when in hospital that is a nicotine inhaler, because it doesnt use heat or any burning compounds.

on, enough rambling, i want to see what this undermountain has in it.. off to the YT videoooooo!

mlesnews
September 24th, 2018, 21:12
while i can understand an honest smoker, since they usually don't chain smoke while streaming. the vapers are a problem. glad i was warned before finally getting around to this on YT. i have already placed my smokes out of reach. these vapers dont understand that the smoke reflex is worsened by vapers because every other minute they jsut pick up and puff. while an actual smoker could wait 30 minutes, so the contagion, seeing the smoke from a vaper makes an actual smoker that is addicted to cigarettes reach more often for the real thing.

you can see it with vapers also, one vapes, then everyone else on cams goes to vape after, just like you would expect from an actual cigarette. it seems only to be the kids smoking wacky tobacky and vapers that like to make fancy smoke plumes to impress people. the actual smokers i see you might see the cig, but then the smoke if blown offscreen.

and no vaping isnt any safer really. you exchange the carcinogens from the tobacco and filter, for the burning cotton and polyester in the tincture wick. the only "safe" is the ones you get when in hospital that is a nicotine inhaler, because it doesnt use heat or any burning compounds.

on, enough rambling, i want to see what this undermountain has in it.. off to the YT videoooooo!

Glad I gave it up years ago and never got into the vaping craze. Plenty of information out there how both are quite bad for you, pick your poison. "No Mr. Bond, I expect you to die!" (https://i.imgur.com/m2bxneY.png)

shadzar
September 25th, 2018, 11:00
now you have Sean Connery saying Ms. Galore's first name over and over in my head, because I am watching the month long marathon of the 20 bond movies collection on TV. :D

not entirely related to Undermountain, but appreciate the "reviews" comments made in that YT video. too often lately people just blow smoke up other people's posterior and afraid to critique anything because a certain group thinks all criticism is "hate speech".

also glad Undermountain isn't being jsut a copy/paste travesty like Yawning Portal where things don't work from one edition to the next as written and it is being rewritten for the edition.

LordEntrails
September 25th, 2018, 11:53
also glad Undermountain isn't being jsut a copy/paste travesty like Yawning Portal where things don't work from one edition to the next as written and it is being rewritten for the edition.
I like to think that it's being written in a way it has never been written before. As you mentioned, it's all being developed in 5E, so their are no monster inconsistencies or failure to adapt trap rules etc. But, I'm detailing each and every location, and not just with random entries.

Though true 'dungeon ecology' is difficult on such a massive project, I'm am striving for it. Each area has a main power group, and something that is is going on or reason for things to be (mostly) the way they are. Sure, you can play it as a kick in teh door and fight (or not) what's there. But you can also wonder (and figure out?) why the goblins in this area is such a large and well organized tribe. And what are priests of Kelemvor doing in this region? etc

I'll be looking forward to what people think when we get it published soon!

Halfront
September 25th, 2018, 18:27
Like the Whale in the Hitchhikers Guide...

Never mind, hey, this is really exciting, so much to find out about, so much to look forward to, I’m quite dizzy with anticipation …

LordEntrails
November 6th, 2018, 17:32
We're almost there, the project is in the proofing stages now. Want to hear more? I was on the DMsGuild with Travis Legge. Check it out if you want to hear the latest; https://youtu.be/2tiiUwOLrfI

kirklandone
February 2nd, 2020, 17:19
Lord Entrails,

Any new news on Ultimate Undermountain?

Kirklandone

LordEntrails
February 3rd, 2020, 18:45
I had plans... but life keeps interfeering...

I wish I had news because the first level is so close to being done. Not sure if I will finally have time this weekend to start back up. But interest helps me stay motivated, so never hesitate to poke!

kirklandone
February 3rd, 2020, 19:07
No worries LordEntrails,

I know how life tends to get in the way of hobbies. I also understand the challenge of creating a module (or a conversion of a modules) can be. I have done 4-5 DCC modules for FG for my own use.

Take care and I look forward to seeing the results of your hard work.
Kirklandone

Morenu
April 11th, 2021, 17:07
My brother is planning on taking up the FGU Dm role this summer and undermountain is his goal (I have bought all 2e/3e FG stuff so far), so you will have a buyer guaranteed. I get to do a crash course with him in the next month ( he is the IT guy, programmer guy) and I am hoping he likes the FG interface. will keep checking in.

LordEntrails
April 11th, 2021, 19:05
Great to hear this. I've resumed working on this, but hadn't wanted to say anything until I was actually done. No promises on when, but progress is happening :)

Have your brother reach out to me if interested. I'm always looking for serious feedback.

micael
October 31st, 2023, 11:58
Any news about ultimate Undermountain?

LordEntrails
October 31st, 2023, 16:44
Well, I have been working on it. I just finished adding LOS to the hundreds of encounter maps this last weekend.
Next I have a list of errors and inconsistencies on the map that I need to go into CC3+ and correct. Things like hidden portals showing on the player maps, curtains of blackness missing from the maps, etc. Then have to re-export and validate those maps.

Given that everything was originally created and sized for FGC, its proving quite a task to update it to FGU. Such as one of the things is I might need to make isomorphs for map images so that a DM can expand on or tile together the numerous encounter maps. I'd then like to review all the stories, tables etc to run it through a editing pass, but all the content is created. Just in the editing phase.

BaneTBC
November 2nd, 2023, 15:07
You're just keeping us in suspense! If you need help for parts, maybe some community members can volunteer to proofread, troubleshoot, play test, poke poke poke and take some of the time consuming things off your hands (or at least give you another set of eyes on).

LordEntrails
November 2nd, 2023, 17:32
Absolutely, if anyone wants to edit or playtest for me, just let me know. I do plan on selling it on the DMSGuild eventually, so it is for a commercial product. But I really couldn't pay you for your work other than giving you a draft copy to evaluate and then an official copy when it is released. It is currently 298MB so we would have to transfer via Google or such.

micael
November 24th, 2023, 19:18
Absolutely, if anyone wants to edit or playtest for me, just let me know. I do plan on selling it on the DMSGuild eventually, so it is for a commercial product. But I really couldn't pay you for your work other than giving you a draft copy to evaluate and then an official copy when it is released. It is currently 298MB so we would have to transfer via Google or such.

I have a group of FGU Players who are just finishing Dragonheist and will get into undermountain soon... I own all undermountain FGU products (2ed+5ed) and can try to playtest as soon as you can sent me a usable FGU map- first 3 levels will suffice for the start, but if you only have the product as a whole- linked perhaps it would also be ok for me.
googledrive would be ok- I have bookmarked your discord server as Tarinia...

Thanks

micael

LordEntrails
December 7th, 2023, 19:14
So the map is done. I have to figure out the legend and keys. There are more symbols etc than practical to put on a key, but figuring out which ones should be detailed or are coolest. Then I need to update the images that need it.

Here's one of the areas that I think turned out cool looking. Something for you to enjoy while you wait ;)