PDA

View Full Version : Need Help On Mac

dragonmajesty
May 27th, 2018, 07:10
I'm running Fantasy Grounds on a Mac with OS X El Capitan version 10.11.6. And I'm new to the software. I have a standard license. I thought I have the license entered correctly. But in the upper right corner of the launcher beneath the folder icon it reads: v.3.3.5 FREE

I bought the D&D 5E Player's Handbook and the Lost Mine of Phandelver, but I can't even find those two books anywhere when I run the program. And I can't seem to make a character or campaign or anything. This is very frustrating. Please point me in the right direction.

Zacchaeus
May 27th, 2018, 09:13
Hi dragonmajesty welcome to the community.

Make triple sure that your license key is entered correctly in the first box in settings (no leading or extra spaces 5 groups of 5 numbers). The second box should be blank. Also ensure that your username and password are correct. If you purchased from Steam then you will need to synchronise your Steam and Smiteworks accounts. Do this via the 'manage' button in settings; again making sure that your license key and your username and password are correct. After you have made sure that your credentials are correct do an update of Fantasy Grounds and if all is well your license should upgrade and your DLC will download.

dragonmajesty
May 27th, 2018, 23:44
Thank you Zacchaeus, it is good to meet you.

I believe I have the license entered correctly and the software upgraded. It reads v.3.3.5 now and there is a button to upgrade to Ultimate. I do intend to upgrade to Ultimate once I have learned the program sufficiently.

Couple more questions:
1) How do I bring up the contextual menus on a Macintosh? There is no right click on a Mac. I tried Control click, option click, and command click but can't seem to get it.

2) I'm going to GM. Do I need to click "Create Campaign" and "Start" to begin? What should I do next?

shadelon
May 28th, 2018, 01:57
Answer to second question: Yes. Next you should ensure you have your port forwarding and network stuff set up.

I know nothing about mac. lol

damned
May 28th, 2018, 03:59
Thank you Zacchaeus, it is good to meet you.

I believe I have the license entered correctly and the software upgraded. It reads v.3.3.5 now and there is a button to upgrade to Ultimate. I do intend to upgrade to Ultimate once I have learned the program sufficiently.

Couple more questions:
1) How do I bring up the contextual menus on a Macintosh? There is no right click on a Mac. I tried Control click, option click, and command click but can't seem to get it.

2) I'm going to GM. Do I need to click "Create Campaign" and "Start" to begin? What should I do next?

Hi dragonmajesty I do believe that a mouse with 2 or 3 buttons on a Mac will be interpreted correctly.
Im sorry I dont have a Mac to confirm with...

JML
May 28th, 2018, 07:22
MacBook Pro owner here. I've got a 3 buttons mouse plugged in and no problem to use it with FG. If you've got a trackpad did you try to tap with two fingers which is the usual shortcut for contextual menus?

Zacchaeus
May 28th, 2018, 08:43
Again, answering the second question; yes that's how you would start a new campaign.

You'll find some helpful advice in the many links in this post (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?27296-Guides-videos-and-other-helpful-information) and you may want to drop into the FG College (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?40020-Join-Fantasy-Grounds-College-Learn-Fantasy-Grounds-learn-D-amp-D-and-then-play!) on Discord for further help and classes.

Trenloe
May 28th, 2018, 13:44
Loading up the demo campaign is also a good ideas - then step through the story entries to learn more about using FG.

dragonmajesty
May 29th, 2018, 00:57
Two finger click does give me the contextual menus.

OK, I failed the port forwarding test. Is there a thread for setting that up on a Mac? Or anyone who can help?

dmbrown
May 29th, 2018, 02:19
With my Mac all I had to was do the port forwarding at the router level. You need to reserve an IP address for your Mac and do the port forwarding to that ip. This all has to be done at your router. You need to look at the documents for your router to configure it properly.

dragonmajesty
May 29th, 2018, 04:23
OK I can get into my router settings. When I select Security, then Apps and Gaming, it gives 4 options:
- DDNS
- Single Port Forwarding
- Port Range Forwarding
- Port Range Triggering

Which do I select? Or am I on the wrong track?

LordEntrails
May 29th, 2018, 04:55
Not my area of expertise, but until someone says differently, chose "Single Port Forwarding". Forward for port 1802 from all destinations and forward them to the internal IP address that FG gives you on the launch screen. Typically something like 192.168.0.x.

damned
May 29th, 2018, 05:02
Yep.
Single Port Forward
Outside
Source Any
Protocol TCP
Port 1802
Inside
Protocol TCP
Port 1802
Computer/Address: Your Macs IP address

dragonmajesty
May 29th, 2018, 05:24
It is a LinkSys router. I selected Single Port Forwarding. Now it wants 5 boxes filled:
- Application Name (I put in Fantasy Grounds)
- External Port (I put 1802)
- Internal Port (I put 1802)
- Protocol (I put TCP. It also allows UDP or Both)
- Device IP # (It has Two numbers separated by a period and wants me to enter X.X at the end of it. Do I just make up two numbers?)

That's what I tried and I'm still getting failure on the test.

damned
May 29th, 2018, 06:11
Those last two sets of numbers are the Macs IP Address....

dragonmajesty
May 29th, 2018, 06:32
I found my Macs IP Address in System Preferences and entered it into the router settings correctly. I restarted my router, waited for an internet connection then tried the Connection Test (on Load Campaign) and still get a failure.

Do I need to check my firewall settings? Or something else?

damned
May 29th, 2018, 07:01
If you would like me to have a look at your setup with you via Teamviewer PM me your email address.

dragonmajesty
May 29th, 2018, 21:34
If you would like me to have a look at your setup with you via Teamviewer PM me your email address.

I PMed you, damned. Thanks

damned
May 30th, 2018, 01:27
And I emailed you yesterday...

dragonmajesty
May 30th, 2018, 01:32
Found Your email. It got covered by spam, sorry.

GrayMouser
November 20th, 2018, 00:22
Looking to purchase FG but am reading things about it regarding MACs that may turn me off to it. Will be running it on a MacBook Pro operating macOS High Sierra version 10.13.6

Am I needing Wineskin these days? Am I going to have to sort out network stuff to enable players to game in my campaign? Neither prospect are appealing to me, complicating things for what appears to be a wonderful piece of. DM’ing productivity software.

Looking forward to answer and guidance!

GrayMouser

damned
November 20th, 2018, 01:11
Hola GrayMouser

Yep and yep.
Wineskin and networking are required.

You can try the demo and see if it works and if you can connect - for many users it just works.

LordEntrails
November 20th, 2018, 02:33
Looking to purchase FG but am reading things about it regarding MACs that may turn me off to it. Will be running it on a MacBook Pro operating macOS High Sierra version 10.13.6

Am I needing Wineskin these days? Am I going to have to sort out network stuff to enable players to game in my campaign? Neither prospect are appealing to me, complicating things for what appears to be a wonderful piece of. DM’ing productivity software.

Looking forward to answer and guidance!

GrayMouser
As damned says, FG requires a Windows emulator and networking. But also as he says, for most people they don't have to worry about any of that because the Mac installer includes a wine wrapper and networking usually just works for people.

That being said, if either doesn't work, people here are very helpful.

Also, as damned said you can install the demo (same application, just don't enter license info) and see if it works for you. Just go download the Mac installer and try it out :) Finally, Smiteworks has a 30 day money back refund policy, very easy to do and they don't hassle you about it or anything.

GrayMouser
November 20th, 2018, 05:15
Hola GrayMouser

Yep and yep.
Wineskin and networking are required.

You can try the demo and see if it works and if you can connect - for many users it just works.

True that

dmbrown
November 20th, 2018, 18:06
I’ve been running on a mac with that os version with no problems. Just get the FG download from this site and you’re good to go.

JML
November 20th, 2018, 20:54
Running FG on High Sierra (10.13.6) for a while now.

You don't have to worry about the Wine part as it is hidden (bundled) inside the FG Mac version. So everything is already configured. The only point is you'll have to right-click the software to use the Show Package Contents option to get to the application folders when needed.

On the network side, you just have to make sure everyone has its 1802 port open, whatever their OS is. This last answer is a bit of a simplification as we all know networking can be tricky for all kind of reasons. But the point is FG shouldn't be the problem's origin if the port part is solved.

JohnD
November 20th, 2018, 23:15
Running FG on High Sierra (10.13.6) for a while now.

You don't have to worry about the Wine part as it is hidden (bundled) inside the FG Mac version. So everything is already configured. The only point is you'll have to right-click the software to use the Show Package Contents option to get to the application folders when needed.

On the network side, you just have to make sure everyone has its 1802 port open, whatever their OS is. This last answer is a bit of a simplification as we all know networking can be tricky for all kind of reasons. But the point is FG shouldn't be the problem's origin if the port part is solved.

Only the GM needs 1802 open. Unless it's different on a Mac but I can't see how.

Bidmaron
November 20th, 2018, 23:38
Even on Mac only GM needs 1802 open

GrayMouser
November 21st, 2018, 00:28
Thanks, folks. Very helpful and comforting. Fairly new MAC user and already been burned with software I relied on or wanted not available or working.

So, regarding networking....on the MAC, how would one confirm port 1802 was open?

Will be downloading DEMO version for MAC this week. Looking forward to this awesome software and DM’ing ...... Feels good to be getting back into D&D after 30 years......

dmbrown
November 21st, 2018, 01:43
You’ll need to set up the port forwarding on your router and set your Mac to have a static IP address. Then you can run the test in FG to confirm it works.

GrayMouser
November 21st, 2018, 02:15
Outstanding. Wish I knew how that was done. LMAO

LordEntrails
November 21st, 2018, 02:15
So, regarding networking....on the MAC, how would one confirm port 1802 was open?
Launch FG, on the start campaign screen click the Connection Test button.

JML
November 21st, 2018, 14:12
Even on Mac only GM needs 1802 open

My bad. Answered too quickly.