PDA

View Full Version : Quality of Life / Player Economy Bookkeeping & BP to CR scale

Aquitaine
May 26th, 2018, 22:26
Hi SFRPG forum,

Still wrapping my brain around FG but have two questions that have probably come up before:

1) I like to keep track of what I call 'quality of life accounting' for PCs -- that is, receipts and expenses that are regular and recurring that govern their lifestyle, so we don't have to go and look up or spend time on individual resource-related questions unless they're extraordinary. For example, if a PC maintains a quality wardrobe, I'd show the periodic cost and the result on a QoL table; or if they owned a shop, the same thing as a receipt. Everybody has entries for basic lifestyle so we know at a glance what kind of lodgings, hangouts, or transportation they can assume they have access to without needing to specifically buy something.

Is there anything like this for FG, whether SFRPG or elsewhere? Is this the sort of thing an extension would do? I coded this for a M** over ten years ago and it's not terribly complicated since it's just "thing, value (+/-), effect" but some default options made PCs have a sense of their character's social and economic station right out the gate. If not, might be a good way for me to learn how extensions work and write one.

2) I don't want to stir up a discussion that has already taken place in other threads, but it's clear from the rules that they don't want PCs concerned with the cost of their starship(s) and that this is abstracted into build points. That's fine, but even if I don't want PCs to have to pay out of pocket, I'd still like a sense of relative value of this part versus that part, even if it's obviously going to depend on where you are and from whom you're buying it. Has anyone made an attempt to add explicit values to starship items?

stephan_
May 26th, 2018, 22:49
I read some discussions on 2) at least in regards to BP to credits conversions a while back.

This (https://www.reddit.com/r/Fantasy/comments/6sm438/we_make_the_starfinder_rpgask_us_anything/dlectej/) tries a realistic approach.

This (https://paizo.com/threads/rzs2unnc?build-point-costs-in-credits-by-level) tries a more balanced approach.

I think I've also read about a 1 BP ~ 650 credits conversion somewhere.

Edit: Fixed links.

Aquitaine
May 26th, 2018, 23:39
Continuing question #2 on the Paizo forum link. Thank you!

henry8547
April 12th, 2019, 07:46
Thanks for the link!