PDA

View Full Version : DOE: REMU (Ruleset, Extension & Module Updater) Extension

dulux-oz
May 26th, 2018, 08:29
Overview
This Extension is a supplementary tool designed to work in compliment to the FG-Updater - not to replace it. The DOE: REMU allows Fantasy Grounds to automatically check to see if various Community Developed Rulesets, Extensions and/or Modules (REMs) are available for update. If an update is found the DOE: REMU can download the REM and place it in the correct directory within the User's copy of Fantasy Grounds.

A screenshot is provided.

Full details are provided in the accompanying Manual (a Module). The Manual can be opened by Fantasy Ground v3+ using any Ruleset, with or without the Extension being loaded.

Special Setup
Because this Extension does things that Fantasy Grounds was never designed to do, it requires some special care and attention when first setting up. It also requires some "helper" programs which MUST be located in a very specific folder on the computer's hard drive. This information and the Helper programs are provided in a separate pdf Document (DOEREMU_Setup_Guide_Windows.pdf) and an Installation program (DOEREMUHelpers.exe) available below.

Please Please Please Please read the Extension's accompanying Documentation BEFORE installing the DOE:REMU

Version

1.0.0 - Initial Creation

Manual Version

1.0.0 - Initial Creation

Rulesets
This Extension works with:

CoreRPG Rulset v3.3.5+.

Dependencies
This Extension is dependent on:

DOE Base Extension v3.2.1 (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?27158-DOE-Base-Extension)

Rulesets By Dulux-Oz

DORCore (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?42221-DORCore-An-Advanced-Beta-Release-Of-A-New-Ruleset)

Other Extensions By Dulux-Oz

DOE Base Extension (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?27158-DOE-Base-Extension)
DOE: Alignment Graph Extension (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?25319-DOE-Alignment-Graph-Extension)
DOE: Campaign Style Graph Extension (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?25320-DOE-Campaign-Style-Graph-Extension)
DOE: Locations Extension (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20794-DOE-Locations-Extension)
DOE: OLE Extension (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?34735-DOE-OLE-Extension)
DOE: Organisations Extension (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?27169-DOE-Organisations-Extension)
DOE: Sound Extension (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?31369-DOE-Sound-Extension)
DOE: Weather Extension (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?22142-DOE-Weather-Extension)

Downloading The Extension
This Extension is no longer avaliable for download.

Loading The Extension
This Extension is loaded exactly like all other Fantasy Grounds Extensions - by first copying the .ext file to the Extensions Folder under the Fantasy Grounds Folder and then re-starting Fantasy Grounds. If the Extension is compatible with the currently installed version of a given Ruleset it will be displayed in the Extensions List for that Ruleset and can be loaded by clicking on the Checkbox next to the Extensions name.

If the Extension has large red 'X' next to its name in the Extension List then the Extension or an Extension that this one is dependent upon is not compatible with the chosen Ruleset. Make sure that you have downloaded and installed the latest copy of this Extension and any Extensions this one is dependent upon.

When Fantasy Grounds Updates
After a Fantasy Grounds version update you should verify that all Extensions (not just this one) have been either updated themselves or verified by the Extension author that they work with the new version of Fantasy Grounds. If you have any issues with Fantasy Grounds after an update then it is best to disable all Extensions and then re-enable them one by one until the issue re-appears.

Helping Out
If you like this Extension and find it useful, you may like to consider showing your support by making a Donation so that this Software and similar Software can continue to be maintained and developed.

Donations can be made via PayPal to:

[email protected]

Thank you

LordEntrails
May 27th, 2018, 00:30
Dulux, I'm not getting this to work. I don't get a the Warning or Setu window when I start the maintenance campaign. Here are the stesp I did;

Read the Setup Guide (https://github.com/FG-Community-Devs/FG-REM-Repo/blob/master/REMs/Dulux-Oz/DOEREMU_Setup_Guide_Windows.pdf).
Install the Helpers (https://github.com/FG-Community-Devs/FG-REM-Repo/blob/master/REMs/Dulux-Oz/DOEREMUHelpers.exe)per the guide above.
Download the DOE:REMU Manual (https://github.com/FG-Community-Devs/FG-REM-Repo/blob/master/REMs/Dulux-Oz/DOE_REMU_Manual.mod) and install it in FG.
Download the DOE:REMU Extension (https://github.com/FG-Community-Devs/FG-REM-Repo/blob/master/REMs/Dulux-Oz/DOEREMU.ext) and install it in FG.
Download and install the DOE: Base (https://github.com/FG-Community-Devs/FG-REM-Repo/blob/master/REMs/Dulux-Oz/DOEBase.ext) (latest!) and install it in FG.
Create a new CoreRPG campaign titled something like "DOE:REMU Maintenance"
Load the DOE Base and DOE REMU extensions.
Open the campaign, load the DOE REMU Module, read it.

Andraax
May 27th, 2018, 01:33
Did you click the REMU button in the upper right?

LordEntrails
May 27th, 2018, 01:58
Did you click the REMU button in the upper right?
Nope! Missed that in the instructions.

LordEntrails
May 27th, 2018, 02:12
Very nice Dulux. I'll be looking to add my modules to this after I read more.

Two things to take notice of;
1) the quick start instructions seems to imply that the update window opens automatically.
2) the manifest file was not able to be downloaded like the other files in the repository were. I assume this is since I was not using a git client and just a browser, but I suspect other might find similar challenges. Doing a right mouse, save file as saved an html file that was useless, I ended up cutting and pasting the text as displayed into notepad++ and saving the file that way.

dulux-oz
May 27th, 2018, 03:49
Notes noted - I'll see how to fix things.
And, fot the record, I wasn't using a git-cliet to download the Manifest file (when I tested things) :)

dulux-oz
May 27th, 2018, 04:46
Very nice Dulux. I'll be looking to add my modules to this after I read more.

Two things to take notice of;
1) the quick start instructions seems to imply that the update window opens automatically.
2) the manifest file was not able to be downloaded like the other files in the repository were. I assume this is since I was not using a git client and just a browser, but I suspect other might find similar challenges. Doing a right mouse, save file as saved an html file that was useless, I ended up cutting and pasting the text as displayed into notepad++ and saving the file that way.

Just to clarify:
1) You mean in the Manual (the mod file)?
2) Right-click and choose "Save Link As" - I'll put that in the doco as well.

Cheers

LordEntrails
May 27th, 2018, 06:07
Just to clarify:
1) You mean in the Manual (the mod file)?
2) Right-click and choose "Save Link As" - I'll put that in the doco as well.

Cheers
Correct, the quick start entry in the mod file is where I went astray. reading the full details it was clear,just not in the QS entry.

I'm using Chrome, and with the other git entries (like the extensions and mods, there is a download link. On the git page for the .rem file their is not, it displays the text. When I right clicked on the save as from the directory listing, it saved the file as an html, not xml file. I can get you screen shots and more details as needed.

dberkompas
May 29th, 2018, 00:08
No idea what I've done. I blew away my campaign based on CoreRPG, blew away the directory that is created with the DOEREMUHelpers.exe

I downloaded the DOEREMU.ext and DOEBase.ext and put them in the extensions directory, and deleted the manifests directory.

I then run the .exe, and it put in C:\ so it creates the appropriate directory.

When I create a new campaign (LIVE, not test or dev), and load the modules, I get the following error.
[28.05.2018 18:46:13] Script Error: [string "DOEREMU/Scripts/lsREMUManager.lua"]:239: import: Unable to open file

I looked at the code, and it looks like it has something to do with manifests, which I haven't even loaded.

Dave

dulux-oz
May 29th, 2018, 04:28
No idea what I've done. I blew away my campaign based on CoreRPG, blew away the directory that is created with the DOEREMUHelpers.exe

I downloaded the DOEREMU.ext and DOEBase.ext and put them in the extensions directory, and deleted the manifests directory.

I then run the .exe, and it put in C:\ so it creates the appropriate directory.

When I create a new campaign (LIVE, not test or dev), and load the modules, I get the following error.
[28.05.2018 18:46:13] Script Error: [string "DOEREMU/Scripts/lsREMUManager.lua"]:239: import: Unable to open file

I looked at the code, and it looks like it has something to do with manifests, which I haven't even loaded.

Dave

Hi Dave,

I think what you're saying is that this is a new "Maintenance" campaign but that you previously had an old "Maintenance" campaign (I call them MCs from now on) ie that you're starting over, yes?

If this is so, then the persistent Manifest Registration from the old MC is being picked up by the new MC and so it is trying to load the registered manifest, and because the Manifest file isn't there its complaining. So, its sort of a bug (which I'll code a fix for) but if you place the actual manifest file in the /manifests/ folder under the FG Data Folder (you may have to manually create the manifests folder) and then restart your new MC you should be good to go. Alternatively, you could manually edit the GlobalRegistry.lua file and take out all the relevant infor qand data structure contained within. Alternatively, you can ignore the error, go i and deregister the old Manifest and then register a new one (on the same one - same difference).

BUT, if I've mis-read what you've been doing and trying to do then you'll need to tell me because I'll need to come up with a different solution.

dberkompas
May 29th, 2018, 05:27
Thanks, solved the problem thanks to you @Dulux-Oz.

Ended up editing the GlobalReistry.lua file and removing most of the stuff in there.

Dave

mlesnews
May 30th, 2018, 18:31

dulux-oz
May 30th, 2018, 18:34
Thanks for this LordEntrails! I admit I was stumbling on how to exactly get started getting this to work. Perhaps the missing piece is the Quick Start information which resides in REMU. If I had it to start with it would of cleared up a lot of my confusion. Great work Dulux-Oz as always! I sincerely hope that every modder embraces this for their projects. This is perhaps my largest gripe about FG is trying to keep up to date with all of the community extension each week. I was looking into trying to parse each authors download link or attachment on the CoreRPG and 5E main community pages on the forums but without much success.

https://i.imgur.com/N1SZzYf.png

It's all in the Manual - all people have to do is grab the .mod file (the Manual) and read it :)

mlesnews
May 30th, 2018, 18:45

LordEntrails
May 30th, 2018, 19:13
It's all in the Manual - all people have to do is grab the .mod file (the Manual) and read it :)
Yep, but their are steps to do to install the manual. So, some of us might want to know how to get that far :)

dulux-oz
May 31st, 2018, 04:38
Yep, but their are steps to do to install the manual. So, some of us might want to know how to get that far :)

What?! Grab the .mod file, drop it in the modules folder, then open FG and load the Module?

I know we (as professionals) need to write things for the "lowest common denominator", but if people don't know how to load a basic module into FG then they're not yet ready for ANY Extension, let alone this one.

And that's not being derogatory. You have to assume people have some basic skills in anything they do - yes, you make things as easy as possible, but if you're a running coach you at least assume that people who come to you know how to walk!

paladiusdarkhelm
June 2nd, 2018, 17:14
I downloaded the DOEREMU mod, ext, and doebase.ext and added them to the mods and extensions folders. I also downloaded the exe, rem, and pdf and have them in my downloads folder for now until I find instructions that tell me what to do with them. I opened the DOEREMU_Setup_Guide_Windows.pdf; is it only supposed to be 1 page (thought this was the documentation to read before continuing)?

I started there and on double-clicking the DOEREMUHelpers.exe file, I get a message saying that my Windows PC is unable to run the DOEREMUHelpers.exe file. "This app can't run on your PC." I figure I needed to set this up per the instruction on the first post to get the helpers set up before I tried opening the DOREM manual in a new CoreRPG campaign: Is that correct or do I need to load that manual and read it first before continuing?

Appoogies for my confusion.

Andraax
June 2nd, 2018, 17:23
The manual is in the .mod file - launch FG and open the module to read it.

paladiusdarkhelm
June 2nd, 2018, 19:44
Does it contain instructions for how to get the.exe to run?

Andraax
June 2nd, 2018, 20:01
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/cant-open-exe-files-windows-10 (https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/cant-open-exe-files-windows-10/fbb1fde7-aafa-4dc8-9ecb-873dbeb4518e)

paladiusdarkhelm
June 2nd, 2018, 20:33
I don't know what was wrong with the .exe I originally save link as'd from the repo. Redid using LordEntrails direct links from his post and that version worked o_O

LordEntrails
June 2nd, 2018, 20:48
I don't know what was wrong with the .exe I originally save link as'd from the repo. Redid using LordEntrails direct links from his post and that version worked o_O
If you right clicked "Save As" then you got html files and not the exe (even though the extension was kept as exe). I think this has to do because of GitHub (not sure). You have to use the "Download" button in GitHub itself and not a browser download/save.

paladiusdarkhelm
June 2nd, 2018, 21:37
Read through the .mod manual and tried to run the remusetup but it pops up a bunch of paste.exe errors and nothing shows in the REMU window (rulesets, extensions, modules).

I tried to press on since the instruction say it may be nomal to see popups and link the .rem via the register button but it also gave me a parsing error.

LordEntrails
June 3rd, 2018, 00:56
Read through the .mod manual and tried to run the remusetup but it pops up a bunch of paste.exe errors and nothing shows in the REMU window (rulesets, extensions, modules).

I tried to press on since the instruction say it may be nomal to see popups and link the .rem via the register button but it also gave me a parsing error.

Did you download the helper application using the "download" button on the GitHub repository or do you use right mouse button save as or another way to download and save the file?

LordEntrails
June 3rd, 2018, 00:59
To put a picture to the question, did you download the helper.exe using this button?

paladiusdarkhelm
June 3rd, 2018, 15:22
I'll delete the helpers folder from the C drive and do that part over and see if that avoids the errors on remusetup.

paladiusdarkhelm
June 3rd, 2018, 15:40
Same problem when I try and run the setup. I have the helper files installed in their folder at C:\DOEREMUHelpers per the instructions in the pdf. My data file is at the default location as far as I know. i've tried manually adding the path just in case in the custom option but get the same error, so don't think that's it. I surfed to the directory the error is complaining about and appear to have it as well as a machine.config.

Andraax
June 3rd, 2018, 15:48
That error actually looks like you have a problem with your install of your Windows ".NET" (possibly an old install?)

dulux-oz
June 3rd, 2018, 16:53
That error actually looks like you have a problem with your install of your Windows ".NET" (possibly an old install?)

Yes, I agree - you might need to install v3.5 of .net. On Windows 10, click the start button and then type "Install Windows Features" (without the quotation marks). Click on the resulting Control panel entry and then select the v3.5 of .Net Framework to install it. Once done run the DOE:REMU setup again (from inside the DOE:Remu ie via the slash command as per the documentation).

Bidmaron
June 8th, 2018, 04:18
Thanks for your hard work on this, Dulux!

jrh18
June 9th, 2018, 20:34
I am having a weird thing happen. The manuals modules are getting added to the extensions folder and none of the extensions are being downloaded. Also is there a way to not download a module and extension. I don't want any of the ones I check with ignore to be downloaded, but instead it downloads everything. Right now I assume the only way to not download modules is for me to go into the manifest and edit it directly.

jrh18
June 9th, 2018, 20:38
BTW I love the idea, but at the moment it seems like using Github and cloning a dev's repo would be just as easy a way to get updates. Especially now that github has the desktop app you don't even need to know git commands to download files. It would be awesome those if the FG developers took this concept and made it a core part of the update.

It would be really nice to have a more formal place to upload modules and extensions as a developer and then have an easy way in FG for a user to download those without having to root around in the forums. There are tons of managers like this for video games (minion comes to mind) and I know Wordpress and other open source applications support this time of install from a community repository.

Atua
June 15th, 2018, 02:08
Hi Dulux. This looks like a very interesting extension that I could totally get on board with. I noted that the rulesets it covers is CoreRPG Rulset v3.3.5+, and when I load up a separate ruleset (say 5e), I do not see the extension available. Will this extension eventually support the other rulesets that the DOE suite of extensions supports? Or, can you automatically maintain the latest version of the DOE extensions only via the CoreRPG ruleset? Or am I missing something entirely here and need to be shown the hole in my reasoning.

Andraax
June 15th, 2018, 02:25
You create a CoreRPG campaign solely for handling updates. When you run the update in that campaign, it updates the extensions for all campaigns that are setup to use this process.

dulux-oz
June 15th, 2018, 05:07
Yeah, what Andraax said.

Because of the way the DOE:REMU works it is best to do it from "outside" a live (ie working, playable) campaign. Hence, the idea that we create a separate "Maintenance" campaign, solely for the use of running the DOE:REMU and doing the updates - similar to what most of the Community Devs do when they have a "Development" campaign(s) separate from their actual live campaign(s). Because we are using a separate "Maintenance" campaign there was no reason to specify anything but the CoreRPG - this way we don't need all the extra code that the rest of the DOEs have which make them "multi-ruleset compatible".

So there's no need for the DOE:REMU to be run in any other Ruleset other than CoreRPG, and the DOE:REMU will update all REMs (Rulesets, Extensions & Modules) for any Ruleset from within the CoreRPG-based "Maintenance" campaign - all people have to do is fire up their "Maintenance" campaign once ever week (the default) / month / day / quarter/ year / whatever. :)

Does that all make sense?

Atua
June 16th, 2018, 03:38
Thanks, I eventually sorted it out. The instructions just seemed a little convoluted, as you get instructions for the install of the exe, and some instructions on this thread and some instructions in the .mod file, but there is no place where all the step by step instructions are kept. I eventually found out the fact that you need to use this installer in corerpg via your responses, then I saw it in the .mod file, but I did not look at that straight away as I hadn't loaded it at the start. By the time I had seen it, I had already created the CoreRPG campaign.

Ignoring that though, seems to perform smoothly, good work Dulux-Oz. An internet cookie for you good sir.

Erin Righ
June 23rd, 2018, 00:54
Hey Dulux, I can't get DOEREMUHelpers.exe to run on my machine, it says it is not compatible with Windows 10 Home

dulux-oz
June 23rd, 2018, 04:25
Hey Dulux, I can't get DOEREMUHelpers.exe to run on my machine, it says it is not compatible with Windows 10 Home

That's strange - I wrote it on a Win 10 Home PC, so I know it works. What exactly does the error message say, please?

Erin Righ
June 23rd, 2018, 16:31
That's strange - I wrote it on a Win 10 Home PC, so I know it works. What exactly does the error message say, please?

" This app can't run on your PC
To find a version for your PC, check with the software publisher."

Erin Righ
June 23rd, 2018, 16:35
Weird, I redownloaded it to a different directory, and it worked fine

dulux-oz
June 23rd, 2018, 16:39
Weird, I redownloaded it to a different directory, and it worked fine

Sounds like a bad download (the first one) - oh, well, all good in the end. Glad you got it sorted. :)

bojjenclon
July 6th, 2018, 20:30
So I just tried to reopen my Maintenance campaign from when this was first released, and received the following error:

Script Error: [string "DOEREMU/Scripts/lsREMUManager.lua"]:239: import: Unable to open file

Any idea why that might have happened?

LordEntrails
July 6th, 2018, 20:57
So I just tried to reopen my Maintenance campaign from when this was first released, and received the following error:

Script Error: [string "DOEREMU/Scripts/lsREMUManager.lua"]:239: import: Unable to open file

Any idea why that might have happened?
Did your manifest file get moved or deleted?

bojjenclon
July 6th, 2018, 21:00
I don't believe so, I still have DOEREM_Manifest.rem under Fantasy Grounds/manifests

LordEntrails
July 6th, 2018, 22:44
I don't believe so, I still have DOEREM_Manifest.rem under Fantasy Grounds/manifests
Hmm, I don't know. Here's teh code that is failing;

function fpImportManifests()
local oNode = DB.findNode("MJB_REMU");
if oNode then
for kKey,vValue in pairs(GlobalRegistry.MJB_REMU["aManifests"]) do
nImportCount = 0;
sManifestFileName = kKey;
aManifest = vValue;
DB.import(aFileLocations["sManifests"] .. kKey .. ".rem",oNode);
end
end
return;
end

The only other thing I can think of (other than waiting for Dulux) is to make sure that your DOEREMUHelpers is still installed and located appropriately.

bojjenclon
July 6th, 2018, 22:53
I still have the DOEREMUHelpers folder located at the root of the C:\ drive. Seems like I might just need to start fresh somehow, do you happen to know if it's as simple as deleting everything relating to REMU and starting from square one?

dberkompas
July 6th, 2018, 23:07
I've had the exact same problem, twice now, so I've given up trying to use it.

I realized it's more than likely something I'm doing wrong, but I'm done putting in any more effort.

Dave

LordEntrails
July 6th, 2018, 23:46
I still have the DOEREMUHelpers folder located at the root of the C:\ drive. Seems like I might just need to start fresh somehow, do you happen to know if it's as simple as deleting everything relating to REMU and starting from square one?
Check the permission on the files. Both the manifest and the helpers file/directories. Some versions of Windows like to reset permissions on files in non-standard locations. If you've checked that the files exist in the right location, all I can think of is that the program doesn't have permission to open it.

bojjenclon
July 7th, 2018, 00:52
So I tried adding Debug.console(aFileLocations["sManifests"] .. kKey .. ".rem") before the failing line in the script to ensure it's looking in the correct spot, and it returned:
Runtime Notice: s'%appdata%/fantasy grounds/manifests/DOREM_Manifest.rem'
Which does indeed appear to be the correct path.

I then checked/reset the permissions on the file, and they seem to be as they should. There's read/write on the file. Still not working. So IDK what's up.

Trenloe
July 7th, 2018, 02:59
Runtime Notice: s'%appdata%/fantasy grounds/manifests/DOREM_Manifest.rem'
Which does indeed appear to be the correct path.
You earlier mentioned that that file in that directory was DOEREM... not DOREM... is that just a typo when adding to the forum, or is that the reason it’s not being found?

bojjenclon
July 7th, 2018, 03:34
The manifest file is DOREM_Manifest.rem, the helpers are in C:\DOEREMUHelpers

bojjenclon
July 7th, 2018, 03:35
Also, if I run "notepad %appdata%/fantasy grounds/manifests/DOREM_Manifest.rem" from a command line, it does indeed open the file.

Trenloe
July 7th, 2018, 04:19
The manifest file is DOREM_Manifest.rem, the helpers are in C:\DOEREMUHelpers
Oh, in post #44 you said the file was DOEREM_Manifest.rem

No worries, that was obviously a typo. You never know with weird filenames... ;-)

dulux-oz
July 7th, 2018, 04:54
OK, so I'm sorry I've been a little bit... absent... lately. Let me see what's going on, ans I'll get back to you all ASAP.

And, just for the record, please don't just give up if you are having trouble using one of my REMs, just hound be (a little bit :) ) and I'll get it sorted as quick as I can.

Cheers

dulux-oz
July 7th, 2018, 06:08
OK, so I've had a really good look at things, and I can't see what's going wrong.

The way the DOEREMU works is that it stores all of its information in the GlobalRegistry.lua file (located in the FG Data Directory). Using info from there is tries to load any Manifest files into FG from the /manifests/ sub-directory under the FG Data Directory. This is BEFORE it uses the REMUHelpers to fetch anything - so the problem is not with the REMUHelpers.

It could be a permissions issue - but you said you've cheked for that.

It could be that the .rem file doesn't exist and/or its been re-named something different than what is recorded in the GlobalRegistry - but again, you said you checked for that.

So, you could remove the info from the GlobalRegistry (ie edit it) which would cause the DOEREMU to reinitialize itself the next time it was loaded. The relevant "tree" starts with a root of ["MJB_REMU"] - actually, I'd be surprised if there was anything else in the GlobalRegistry; its not used by many things at all. It may not hurt to grab a fresh copy of the DOREMU_Manifest.rem file from the GitHub Repository either (just to be sure).

Apart from that, I'm not really sure what to tell you - because we (the Community Devs) can't get to the "guts" of the FG-engine I've had to literally "hack" the system to get the DOEREMU to work. This means that it can be... temperamental... in how it expects reality to match up to what it believes "reality" should be (ie how the data it places in the GlobalRegistry matches up with how things really are). Once its working properly and if nothing major changes then it'll work very well, but it can be a bit "finicky" or "picky" if things aren't just right.

For those who are interested, I hacked together the DOEREMU from another system I wrote that does auto-updates of software I wrote for a couple of clients. The original works flawlessly in three different enterprise environments, but I had access to the raw "engine" of that system (unlike now with the FG-engine) so...

Anyway, please let me know how you get on. :)

Cheers

bojjenclon
July 7th, 2018, 16:40
Huh, so nuking the GlobalRegistry file worked. It let me reload the manifest and get the extension working again. I cut the contents of it into a separate file before saving the blank one, I'm going to inspect it later to see if I can get an idea of what might have gone wrong.

Thank you for the help!

bojjenclon
July 7th, 2018, 18:32
I am having a weird thing happen. The manuals modules are getting added to the extensions folder and none of the extensions are being downloaded. Also is there a way to not download a module and extension. I don't want any of the ones I check with ignore to be downloaded, but instead it downloads everything. Right now I assume the only way to not download modules is for me to go into the manifest and edit it directly.

I also just noticed this was happening to me. When I checked the Extension_URLs.txt file, it has all of the mod files in it and not the extension files, so there may be something wrong with the way that file is generated.

Erin Righ
July 7th, 2018, 18:33
Ok mate, I get as far as Step 11 and then get this error when registering the manifest

Database Error: A XML parse error occurred processing file D:\Fantasy_Grounds\manifests\DOREM_Manifest.rem - Error on line 43: Error reading Attributes.
Script Error: [string "DOEREMU/Scripts/lsREMUManager.lua"]:366: import: Unable to parse file

bojjenclon
July 7th, 2018, 19:16
I did a little experimenting, and I think the problem with the URLs files being wrong may have to do with them running concurrently. IDK how Fantasy Ground's clipboardSetText function handles these sorts of operations, but if I add a small fpSleep in between the calls of fpUpdateFiles in fpUpdate, it updates everything correctly. It seems it's not able to change the clipboard's text properly in between calls if you put them back to back.

Also, dulux, I take it you primarily work in C based languages? You have a lot of semicolons in your Lua. ;P

dulux-oz
July 8th, 2018, 05:15
I did a little experimenting, and I think the problem with the URLs files being wrong may have to do with them running concurrently. IDK how Fantasy Ground's clipboardSetText function handles these sorts of operations, but if I add a small fpSleep in between the calls of fpUpdateFiles in fpUpdate, it updates everything correctly. It seems it's not able to change the clipboard's text properly in between calls if you put them back to back.

Also, dulux, I take it you primarily work in C based languages? You have a lot of semicolons in your Lua. ;P

Yes, I learnt C as my first "real" language - the semi-colones are an inbuilt "Pavlovian-response" after all these years - it causes me no end of grief when I'm programming Cisco IOS devices, let me tell you.

I suspected the timing was going to be an issue - thanks for confirming it. My rig is pretty powerful (as you'd expect from a professional coder) so I wasn't getting any issues (I'm still not) but I'll double the wait times and put out a patch and then we'll see how things go (see Post #55 for a partial explanation of why the Extension is so "picky").

Give me 24 hours - I've got something on the rest of today and I can't get to things until then - sorry.

@Erin - I'll look into your issue as well :)

Erin Righ
July 8th, 2018, 08:26
no worries, thanks

noelmage
July 13th, 2018, 03:07
Yes, I learnt C as my first "real" language - the semi-colones are an inbuilt "Pavlovian-response" after all these years - it causes me no end of grief when I'm programming Cisco IOS devices, let me tell you.

I suspected the timing was going to be an issue - thanks for confirming it. My rig is pretty powerful (as you'd expect from a professional coder) so I wasn't getting any issues (I'm still not) but I'll double the wait times and put out a patch and then we'll see how things go (see Post #55 for a partial explanation of why the Extension is so "picky").

Give me 24 hours - I've got something on the rest of today and I can't get to things until then - sorry.

@Erin - I'll look into your issue as well :)

Any chance you've had time to look into that patch? You said to pester you "a little bit." Not sure if it's been enough time to ping you yet, but figured it wouldn't hurt.

dulux-oz
July 13th, 2018, 06:19
Any chance you've had time to look into that patch? You said to pester you "a little bit." Not sure if it's been enough time to ping you yet, but figured it wouldn't hurt.

:)

Its coming - I just had a few "outside issues" come up which have delayed me.

Cheers

cphillips27
July 20th, 2018, 19:36
I've almost been able to work. I am able to have it run and to see what the current versions of the DOE files are. However, it shows that I have version 0.0.0 of each file on my computer. I installed the current version of each today. Therefore, I'm thinking the check isn't finding the files that are there.

My copy of Fantasy Grounds is not installed to the default location. I look to Step 6 and Step 7 of the Quick Start Guide. The directory for my modules is D:\Users\chasu\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds\modules and my extensions are located in D:\Users\chasu\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds\extensions. As directed by Step 7 I entered D:/Users/chasu/AppData/Roaming/Fantasy Grounds.

Any ideas on what I've done wrong and how to get this to work properly?

Thank you very much.

Bidmaron
July 20th, 2018, 19:40
FG is not a program you want to put anywhere but the default. There are just too many landmines you can step on.

However, I doubt that is your problem here. You probably have unpacked his extensions at one time or another, and they are overriding the new downloads you are doing. Go into your extensions folder and look for any folders you have there, especially if they are DOE extension names. Delete them all. Only .ext files should be in your extensions folder unless you are working on your own extension(s).

dulux-oz
July 21st, 2018, 12:54
I've almost been able to work. I am able to have it run and to see what the current versions of the DOE files are. However, it shows that I have version 0.0.0 of each file on my computer. I installed the current version of each today. Therefore, I'm thinking the check isn't finding the files that are there.

My copy of Fantasy Grounds is not installed to the default location. I look to Step 6 and Step 7 of the Quick Start Guide. The directory for my modules is D:\Users\chasu\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds\modules and my extensions are located in D:\Users\chasu\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds\extensions. As directed by Step 7 I entered D:/Users/chasu/AppData/Roaming/Fantasy Grounds.

Any ideas on what I've done wrong and how to get this to work properly?

Thank you very much.

The DOE:REMU doesn't actually detect anything about any existing REMs - it instead keeps a log of what IT has downloaded, etc. So the first time you run it, because it has never downloaded anything, all the versions will show as 0.0.0. Once you run a download the cireect versions will be listed (because the DOE:REMU will update its internal log.

Make sense?

punisher5150
July 28th, 2018, 19:54
I have a weird problem. I installed the REMU extension and everything worked fine for the first update. Every attempt to update after the first reguires me to delete the globalregistry.lua to get it to run again. It will run once then get this script error on subsequent attempts without deleting the globalregistry.lua: Script Error: [string "DOEREMU/Scripts/lsREMUManager.lua"]:239: import: Unable to open file

Please help.

dulux-oz
July 29th, 2018, 03:50
I have a weird problem. I installed the REMU extension and everything worked fine for the first update. Every attempt to update after the first reguires me to delete the globalregistry.lua to get it to run again. It will run once then get this script error on subsequent attempts without deleting the globalregistry.lua: Script Error: [string "DOEREMU/Scripts/lsREMUManager.lua"]:239: import: Unable to open file

Please help.

I'll look into it - I've got a bit on at the moment, so it might take a few days (or so).

And yes, I've still got to do the thing I mentioned a few posts ago :)

Cheers

Erin Righ
July 29th, 2018, 04:09
Don't worry, we understand, you get tired clinging to the bottom of the Earth like that, we forgive you

punisher5150
July 29th, 2018, 05:00
I'll look into it - I've got a bit on at the moment, so it might take a few days (or so).

And yes, I've still got to do the thing I mentioned a few posts ago :)

Cheers

No worries. And thanks for the fantastic work on these extensions.

Just FYI I am running the extension in a maintenance campaign. I downloaded the latest base extension as well as the latest remu extension from the github directory before attempting this so I think everything is the most current. I believe it showed them to be from May 2018. The Helper directory is in the correct location (C:\DOEREMUHelpers), and fantasy grounds (3.3.5) is installed in its default location.

Thanks again.

dulux-oz
July 29th, 2018, 05:14
Don't worry, we understand, you get tired clinging to the bottom of the Earth like that, we forgive you

That one actually got me to laugh - well done. :)

Atua
August 11th, 2018, 03:28
Hey Dulux, just curious if any mods are required on this extension since last FG release (3.3.6), as currently I am receiving a:

"Script Error: [string "DOEREMU/Scripts/lsREMUManager.lua"]:239: import: Unable to open file"

error when starting up the maintenance campaign, and the REMU icon is not present.

dulux-oz
August 11th, 2018, 12:45
Hey Dulux, just curious if any mods are required on this extension since last FG release (3.3.6), as currently I am receiving a:

"Script Error: [string "DOEREMU/Scripts/lsREMUManager.lua"]:239: import: Unable to open file"

error when starting up the maintenance campaign, and the REMU icon is not present.

That's a known error (pre-FGv3.3.6) - you can find it discussed (briefly) earlier in this thread - and yes, its something I've got to find a few minutes to fix (I've got to save at least one hand for hanging on - see previous posts) :)

Atua
August 11th, 2018, 12:49
No worries, apologies for missing the original post where this was raised, and good luck.

<Insert "Hang in There" cat poster>

dulux-oz
October 3rd, 2018, 04:29
Hi Everyone,

I've thought long and hard about this, but I feel that, as things stand now with:

the awful "hack" I had to do to get the DOE:REMU to work,
the "finicky" and "prickly" nature of the DOE:REMU and the DOE:REMU Helpers,
the fact that no other Devs have taken the opportunity to use the DOE:REMU for their own REMs,
and the fact that too many of my fellow FGers are having trouble getting the DOEs, etc, downloaded and installed from the Github Repository

that I have decided to retire this Extension and place downloadable copies of all of my DO-REMs back on their individual FG Forum Threads.

This post can be considered a Notification Of End-Of-Life for this Extension.

I will be doing this over the next month or so (unless I'm convinced otherwise), and will make an announcement post both here and in each DO-REMs individual thread when this is completed.

Thank you to all who have used the DOE:REMU and who have struggled to get it to work - I really do appreciate the feedback - but it has proven less successful than I had hoped and has caused more grief than it has relieved. In short, it is an experiment that didn't work - a failure.

I will be archiving the code in case SmiteWorks decides to modify the FG-Engine in such a way as to make the DOE:REMU more viable in the future, so all is not wasted.

Cheers

Atua
October 9th, 2018, 06:12
Thanks for your time trying to set up this system dulux-oz, it is certainly something that would make extensions in general more user friendly in the long-term if it was set up more broadly. Maybe it will get a look in for FGU.

mattekure
October 28th, 2018, 14:45
With the EOL for this, will you still be distributing the most up-to-date version of the extensions in the REMU repo? I was looking at the Weather extension and didnt notice a direct download link, just a link to the repo, so I just wanted to be sure I was getting the most recent version.

Mortar
October 29th, 2018, 02:20
Well crap. I just started to use the DOE family of tools, and really like the idea of the DOE-REMU. Thanks for the efforts though Oz!

jasharen
November 11th, 2018, 20:29
If it makes any difference, I was literally complaining two weeks ago that there is no in FG system for managing extensions (not like it would be that hard to be incorporated and would solve soooo many issues post update), and then found your extension and got it working in minutes. I'm sad to see you retiring it.

duddey
February 17th, 2019, 17:42
Hey Dulux! I know that this is a known error. But my Sound Window is empty in 3.3.6A FG. Someone can help me? I installed the latest updated version today but still empty. Ty For HELPS

Andraax
February 17th, 2019, 17:52
Known bug in 3.3.6a. Update to 3.3.7 and update the extension.

dulux-oz
November 10th, 2019, 11:15
Hi All,

The DOE:REMU has been offically retired and is no long supported.

It was an experiment in Community Content development that was never embraced by the FG Community Devs. This, coupled with the awful, awful "hacks" that we had to use to get it to work properly (due to the imposed limitations of the FG Engine) means that it was never a success - a worthwhile experiment, but a failure nether-the-less.

Thanks to all who tried out the DOE:REMU and to those that reported bugs, etc - I learnt a lot in writting and using it myself - both from a technical point of view and a from a community development point of view.

Cheers

I'm now closing this Thread.