PDA

View Full Version : 5E Encounter Calc (updated)

Olog
May 25th, 2018, 20:39
Tested with FG version 3.3.5.

This is an update/streamline of hereander's original version that was updated by Fudly.

How it works:
Put the attachment in your fantasy ground's extensions folder. On my computer that is:

C:\Users\Olog\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds\extensions

Activate the extension for your campaign

Choose whether you want to get party levels from the combat tracker or the party sheet.

To use this, as you're creating a new encounter, click the refresh button to update the XP total, and then press "Calculate Encounter Difficulty" to output the difficulty of the encounter to chat.

This version uses Fudly's formula for calculating the difficulty, which seems to agree with the 5E DMG. I removed the "super deadly" threshold, and any changes to the random encounter template. Encounters generated using random encounter template will still have the difficulty calculator available.

Zacchaeus
May 25th, 2018, 21:13
Nice
I've replaced the old one with this version in the extension sticky.

damned
May 26th, 2018, 01:49
Well done olog.

viviolay
July 13th, 2018, 04:41
Thank you! This is amazing. I enjoy kobold fight club for encounter calculating on the fly, but have been without internet occasionally (use FG for running games IRL at the table) so this is perfect.

Grommit57
July 14th, 2018, 04:59
Very Nice! Thank You.

The Hawk and Sparrow
August 1st, 2018, 00:30
Hello! Quick question. I used the old version a lot and thanks for that!! I am super happy to see a new one. Quick question: I need to do some planning but all of my players haven't leveled up yet. Is this calculated just on the level from the character sheet? If so, then I'll just update the existing characters prior to them importing their new ones. If not, then what is it calculated from (from the character sheet... I know that I have to have them added to the party sheet) Thanks.

Olog
August 1st, 2018, 19:15
It pulls the character's levels from either the party sheet or combat tracker (selectable in the options). Those levels ultimately come from the character sheets. You can always create a group of dummy char sheets that just have some levels of a class. The calculations don't care about which class or race or anything else.

Gwydion
August 1st, 2018, 19:17
I didn't notice this has been updated. Nice, Olog! Quick question. Have you tested with the new release yet? If not, I'll play around with it but understand there could be some issue. Thanks again!

The Hawk and Sparrow
August 1st, 2018, 21:27
It pulls the character's levels from either the party sheet or combat tracker (selectable in the options). Those levels ultimately come from the character sheets. You can always create a group of dummy char sheets that just have some levels of a class. The calculations don't care about which class or race or anything else.

Great and thanks again Olog! Great Work!!

Stuggesjoerd
August 23rd, 2018, 16:40
I believe that adding new mobs to the encounter doesnt changes the output.
Unless I am doing something wrong, but going from 2 goblin which would be trivial towards 20 goblins .. should result in at least a slightly higher difficulty according to the calculator? Yet it still states trivial.

Olog
August 23rd, 2018, 16:50
When you add the extra goblins to the encounter, be sure to click the refresh button next to the CR or XP. If this doesn't solve your issue, send me a PM.

vonklaude
August 29th, 2018, 11:49
Tested with FG version 3.3.5.

This is an update/streamline of hereander's original version that was updated by Fudly.

How it works:
Put the attachment in your fantasy ground's extensions folder. On my computer that is:

C:\Users\Olog\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds\extensions

Activate the extension for your campaign

Choose whether you want to get party levels from the combat tracker or the party sheet.

To use this, as you're creating a new encounter, click the refresh button to update the XP total, and then press "Calculate Encounter Difficulty" to output the difficulty of the encounter to chat.

This version uses Fudly's formula for calculating the difficulty, which seems to agree with the 5E DMG. I removed the "super deadly" threshold, and any changes to the random encounter template. Encounters generated using random encounter template will still have the difficulty calculator available.

With my vet players, most of my encounters are in "deadly" unfortunately! Is there a way to adjust the multipliers for number of foes? I find those bloat out the encounter strength far more than they should.

Also, is there any way to just tell it to use some offset from my PCs level, like +1, +2 etc? I find that's quite a quick way to ratchet the difficulties up from the 5e baseline of "new player friendly".

AlexCamacho9275
November 13th, 2018, 04:28
This is exactly what I've been looking for! I've been using a phone app (Campaign Lab) and Kobolt Fight Club but was really hoping to just do it all through FG, so this is PERFECT! Installed and works beautifully. Thank you!!!!

Jiminimonka
May 11th, 2020, 21:21
This is coming up with different results than https://kobold.club/fight/#/encounter-builder and https://dhmholley.co.uk/encounter-calculator-5th/

Beemanpat
May 11th, 2020, 21:28
Are you running it with other extenions?

Jiminimonka
May 11th, 2020, 22:59
Are you running it with other extenions?

My bad! I forgot to add the party to the combat tracker.... LOL - working now perfectly.

Beemanpat
May 11th, 2020, 23:03
Glad to hear.

jrpettit
June 11th, 2020, 21:01
Thank you. Looking forward to using it. Even though I use mostly pre-made adventures, there are more and more ones that I create to fill in gaps.

Beemanpat
February 6th, 2021, 21:00
Has anyone tried this in Unity yet? I didn't see if was compatible with Unity in Post#1.

Jiminimonka
February 6th, 2021, 21:34
Has anyone tried this in Unity yet? I didn't see if was compatible with Unity in Post#1.

Yeah it works fine in Unity

Beemanpat
February 6th, 2021, 21:37
Yeah it works fine in Unity

Thanks for quick answer. That thing has saved the party from my poor planning numerous times in classic. Glad it works for Unity too.

Jiminimonka
February 7th, 2021, 00:01
Thanks for quick answer. That thing has saved the party from my poor planning numerous times in classic. Glad it works for Unity too.

Yeah - opposite for me, the party keep killing off stuff before they get hit - I have to use this more often now!

Mentor
August 21st, 2021, 17:02
Any idea where I can d/l this extension? Can't find the link in the thread. Thanks

Beemanpat
August 21st, 2021, 17:38
Any idea where I can d/l this extension? Can't find the link in the thread. Thanks

It should be in post#1. If you don't see it. You may need to switch Fantasy grounds to FG responsive down in the bottom left of the screen.

MrDDT
August 21st, 2021, 17:53

You shouldn't need this EXT anymore as it's part of Unity Encounter window already.

Beemanpat
August 21st, 2021, 18:01
Oh is it? That is good I must have missed it in the change log.

MrDDT
August 21st, 2021, 18:10
Oh is it? That is good I must have missed it in the change log.

Its been in for a long time. It's in a box called "Challenge" on the encounter window. Make sure you have the party in the party sheet to detect how many and what levels the part is.

Beemanpat
August 21st, 2021, 18:20
I see CR and XP. But nothing about challenge difficulty on the encounter window. Are we sure we're talking about same thing? Thank you in advance.

MrDDT
August 21st, 2021, 18:23
I see CR and XP. But nothing about challenge difficulty on the encounter window. Are we sure we're talking about same thing? Thank you in advance.

Oh snap, ignore me. I forgot I use another ext that has updated this a while ago. I forgot, its just so easy to use I didn't even think of it.

https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/141/view

Beemanpat
August 21st, 2021, 18:51
@MrDDT..No worries. I'll give that one look over also.

@Mentor..Were you able to find it?

cwsoots
March 3rd, 2022, 19:24
Is there any chance that you would consider loading this to the FG Forge so we can avoid having to check this thread regularly for updates? Also, I'd be happy to have a way to pay you for this. Thanks for your consideration!

cwsoots
March 17th, 2022, 17:50
It looks like the owner of this extension hasn't been active since 2018. This is still a useful extension, and only includes the encounter calculator feature without any undesired features. I would love to see if there is anyone interested in maintaining it, or a similar extension, going forward. I'm not a coder, so it's beyond my capability. I'd love to see this on the Forge and would be happy to pay a nominal price for it. Any takers?

Beemanpat
March 17th, 2022, 17:53
It looks like the owner of this extension hasn't been active since 2018. This is still a useful extension, and only includes the encounter calculator feature without any undesired features. I would love to see if there is anyone interested in maintaining it, or a similar extension, going forward. I'm not a coder, so it's beyond my capability. I'd love to see this on the Forge and would be happy to pay a nominal price for it. Any takers?

I think there is a paid for extension in forge linked in post #29. Take a look at that see if it covers what you want

cwsoots
March 23rd, 2022, 21:59
I think there is a paid for extension in forge linked in post #29. Take a look at that see if it covers what you want

I appreciate the reference and I saw that extension as well. While I'm sure that Mad Nomad's extension is great (I own another of his extensions), his Enhanced Encounter Window extension does WAY more than what I need. The OP's extension was simple, efficient, and didn't significantly increase the risk of conflicts with other extensions. It is simply an encounter calculator that runs in the Encounter window and saves you time from having to figure it out manually or going out of FGU to a third-party site (e.g., donjon RPG tools). It fits my needs perfectly.