PDA

View Full Version : MOUNTED CHARGE ATTACK (5E homebrew rules - your thoughts?)

kerrigaj
May 22nd, 2018, 19:32
Instructions: Please feel free to use this draft unofficial rule. If you use it please let us have your feedback.

Addendum to p198 of PHB (insert between Controlling a Mount and Underwater Combat sections).

Mounted Charge Attack
Please note that, due to the technical difficulty of directing a charging mount while attacking, only characters wielding a single one-handed weapon can make a mounted charge attack. Also note that the Lance is the only one-handed weapon that has reach. Mounted Combat rules are found on p198 of the PHB; the benefits of reach weapons are described on p147; the Lance is described on p148.

Eligibility to Make a Mounted Charge Attack
To be eligible to make a mounted charge attack, your mount must take the dash action, move at least half its base movement, move the last 20 feet in a straight line, and move past the defender by at least 5 feet. Your mount cannot attack in the same round its rider makes a mounted charge attack.

If you are eligible, the effectiveness of your mounted charge depends on two factors: Firstly, directing your mount into a mounted charge attack; and secondly hitting with the attack.

Directing your Mount
You must succeed in an animal handling check based on the quality of the mount: Success = charge attack allowed; failure = normal attack allowed.
The DC for your check depends on your mount: Warhorse DC = 10; Riding Horse DC = 15; wild animal DC = 20 (other mounts at DM discretion).

Resolving the Mounted Charge Attack
If you succeed in directing your mount you can make a mounted charge attack: You gain a +2 situational modifier on your attack roll; your number of base attacks per round dictate the number of damage rolls you make with your weapon; the defender must succeed in their choice of a DC 15 STR or DEX save or be knocked prone.
If you fail to direct your mount you can only make a single base attack: You receive no situational modifier on the attack roll; the damage is base weapon damage only; and the defender does not have a chance to be knocked prone.

Defending a Mounted Charge Attack
If a defender is not surprised and has a reach weapon readied (i.e. braced to receive a charge), they can defend against a mounted charge by contesting the charger's attack roll with their own attack roll. Whichever combatant wins the contested roll can make an attack: The attacker uses the Mounted Charge Attack rules above; the defender makes an opportunity attack with their readied reach weapon.

SOURCE: Kergan & Sacksquatch

lostsanityreturned
May 23rd, 2018, 14:25
Whips are one handed and have reach, just saying ;).
The house rule is too fiddly for my liking.

I would just make it be a variant on the charger feat.

If you move at least 20 feet in a straight line immediately before taking this bonus action to command your mount, you either gain a +5 bonus to the attack's damage roll (if you chose to make a melee attack and hit).

Add to that a clause that if the target has a reach weapon the attack is made with disadvantage (no need to step on pole arm mastery's toe with free OAs)

I would count the command as your one command for the round, so no auto disengage after making a charge. You could also include the handle animal check if you want, but I think it would be pointless dice rolling.

kerrigaj
May 23rd, 2018, 16:17
Add to that a clause that if the target has a reach weapon the attack is made with disadvantage (no need to step on pole arm mastery's toe with free OAs)

Hi - really appreciate your thoughts - particularly like the attack at disadvantage vs anyone with set polearms. Simple and elegant. Cheers!