PDA

View Full Version : The Dark Eye Theme

Skellan
May 19th, 2018, 14:11
Here's a theme for the Dark Eye for use with More Core.

"The Dark Eye" and The Dark Eye logo are registered trademarks of Ulisses North America, used with permission

*13/04/2020 Updated with Damned's invaluable assistance to fix graphical bug*
*16/04/1010 Updated with additional modifications from Raddu*

Thanks folks

Trenloe
May 21st, 2018, 17:24
Here's a Dark Eye theme for the More Core I have been playing about with.
This looks great.

I hate to be the copyright police - we have a strict policy on these forums. But... is that background image covered by copyright? Or is it valid public domain or do you have permission to use it?

Skellan
May 21st, 2018, 18:14
No worries - copyright stuff is confusing. I put a copyright notice on it - if this is not sufficient then I'll take it down

Trenloe
May 21st, 2018, 18:17
No worries - copyright stuff is confusing. I put a copyright notice on it - if this is not sufficient then I'll take it down
I'm afraid that's not sufficient, sorry. Publishers put copyright on their products which restricts others from re-using their material without permission. Re-using this material and including the original copyright notice is actually a contradiction - breaking the exact copyright that you're including.

EDIT: It's really just the background image that's the main issue here.

Skellan
May 21st, 2018, 18:22
Fair enough, I have removed it. To help me understand better - why is the background image a problem and the other art is not? It is all from the same place.

Trenloe
May 21st, 2018, 18:35
To help me understand better - why is the background image a problem and the other art is not? It is all from the same place.
That's the only art that I, personally, know is under copyright protection. But, yes, it is best to assume any artwork is copyright protected unless there is a community commons, public domain statement or permission to use from the copyright holder.

LordEntrails
May 21st, 2018, 19:06
Not to derail this thread, if more discussion is wanted on Copyright, I suggest a new thread be started.

A very quick non-legal summary of copyright basics as I understand it;
- Copyright is automatically granted to every piece/type of intellectual property as soon as it is created. No copyright notice needs to be put on the piece, nor does the copyright need to be registered.
- Copyright generally lasts for the life of the creator plus 70 years. But this varies widely depending upon the jurisdiction (country).
- Copyright means you can not use the protected object without permission (a license). Exceptions to this include Fair Use (see below). Commercial vs Non-Commercial use is generally irrelevant to infringement.
- Fair Use is generally only for Educational, Journalistic, and Research purposes and is generally very narrow when it applies. It also only applies in certain jurisdictions (countries).

In general, on this forum it is generally considered that any text or images that are distributed need to be;
- owned/created by the person posting it
- posted with permission from the copyright owner (a statement that you have an email from the owner is usually sufficient, or similar)
- The item belongs to the Public Domain (a legal definition of the work) or has been released under a license such as Creative Commons(CC). Though even a CC license may require the author be credited. (Again, a statement to the license is usually sufficient).

A quick summary if you want to know more;
https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2011/06/understanding-copyright-and-licenses/

The US Copyright Office's FAQ;
https://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/

Skellan
May 21st, 2018, 19:09
Fair enough. I removed it as soon as I was aware.:)

stephan_
May 23rd, 2018, 12:11
Ulisses allows some of the illustrations (https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/209962/Scriptorium-Aventuris--Illustrations-Bundle) to be used by fans under specific circumstances. The actual terms seem to be fairly confusing though.

damned
May 23rd, 2018, 12:33
Best to email them and request permission...

Trenloe
May 23rd, 2018, 15:39
Ulisses allows some of the illustrations (https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/209962/Scriptorium-Aventuris--Illustrations-Bundle) to be used by fans under specific circumstances. The actual terms seem to be fairly confusing though.
That is for publishing in their community content Scriptorium. Some info here: https://www.ulisses-us.com/introducing-the-scriptorium-aventuris/

I was excited when I first saw this, as I thought it would allow us to create community content for Fantasy Grounds with some actual rule content. But, alas I don't think so, according to the Terms of Use: https://www.ulisses-us.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/Terms-of-Use.pdf

Permitted Media
This Community Content Agreement license grants you permission to create role-playing supplements, game world expansions, adventures, literature, reference cards, maps, and illustrations for The Dark Eye, only for publication on the SCRIPTORIUM AVENTURIS. This license specifically prohibits the making of video and audio productions, as well as digital games.

"Video games" usually includes VTTs as well. I had thought to reach out to them to ask, but never got round to it.

There are some products on the Scriptoirum here: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/3444/Ulisses-Spiele/subcategory/5805_28078_27614/Scriptorium-Aventuris-English

Skellan
May 23rd, 2018, 19:00
I might just write to them at the weekend and ask them specifically if I can share the theme here. I am not that fussed either way.

Trenloe
May 23rd, 2018, 19:04
I might just write to them at the weekend and ask them specifically if I can share the theme here.
Cool. Please let us know how you get on.

stephan_
May 24th, 2018, 00:47
That is for publishing in their community content Scriptorium. Some info here: https://www.ulisses-us.com/introducing-the-scriptorium-aventuris/

True concerning the illustrations bundle. To make matter even more confusing however, there are additionally also Fan Guidelines (https://www.ulisses-spiele.de/sortiment/rollenspiele/das-schwarze-auge/informationen-zu-das-schwarze-auge/fanrichtlinien/) (which probably don't help either in this case - and seem to be in German only) as well as a simple Fan and Map Bundle (https://www.ulisses-spiele.de/sortiment/rollenspiele/das-schwarze-auge/informationen-zu-das-schwarze-auge/fan-und-kartenpaket/) (with its own rules - generally the most permitting rules - concerning usage, technically for the 4th edition of TDE, also seems to be in German only).

I agree though, simply asking them is definitely the best solution. Good luck.

Skellan
May 26th, 2018, 18:04
I got the following response back from Eric at Ulisses North America regarding sharing the Dark Eye theme:

These elements are available as part of the Scriptorium packages in DriveThruRPG, so we do allow fan content using them. This is a little different, since it is not being shared through the Scriptorium itself, but as long as you keep it free it should be fine. For now, please keep it just to the background design and the Dark Eye logo. Is there a place in such themes for credit text or bylines (maybe at the bottom of the character sheet)? If so, I would appreciate it if you could add the following line:

"The Dark Eye" and The Dark Eye logo are registered trademarks of Ulisses North America, used with permission

Thanks!

Eric Simon
Ulisses North America

I am really pleased that they are allowing the sharing of the theme with the community here. This is an indication of a great games company.

I will upload the theme to the original post.

Valyar
May 26th, 2018, 18:58
I feel Eric is one man army. Quite happy about his response as usual :)
And the Ruleset is great, too bad I can’t find anyone to play this system.

stephan_
May 26th, 2018, 22:31
@Skellan: Great it worked out. :)

@Valyar: You might want to look here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?42264-The-Dark-Eye-Rules-Set/page9).

I think for example Dayson is trying to organize games.

Raddu
March 19th, 2020, 20:59
Shoutout to your Dark Eye Theme! Plus free Dark Eye core book and 2 solo adventures.
https://www.ulisses-us.com/stay-home-and-play-the-dark-eye/

Skellan
March 19th, 2020, 21:29
Wow that's great. This is a fabulous setting and they are a great company.

Trenloe
March 19th, 2020, 21:31
Wow that's great. This is a fabulous setting and they are a great company.
They are indeed.

In case anyone fancies running a game in the current climate: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?54437-Fantasy-Grounds-Community-Online-Virtual-Isolation-Days-gaming!

Skellan
March 19th, 2020, 21:35
Good idea! I will contribute to the cause

kronovan
March 26th, 2020, 16:50
I've just started exploring The Dark Eye extension- actually found out about it from a link on the front page of the Ulisses-us website. One thing I've noticed with the theme extension, is that the text for all of the buttons on the right side of the tabletop is wider than the underlying button graphic. The buttons work, but they look a bit odd as the text protruding out from the left and right side of the graphic for some of the buttons, is wider than the underlying graphic.

For my 1st test campaign I loaded the MoreCore ruleset, the extension named MoreCore - The Dark Eye.ext, the extension named MoreCore_Dark_Eye_Theme.ext and are loading the module named TDE - Skeleton Module 1.mod. I'm hoping I've got that right - I did do a quick read of the Extension's User Guide. I can say that the "TDE - PC Template 1.xml" file does correctly create a blank template character when it's loaded from the character sheet.

I'm wondering if there's some way to fix the button graphic, so that it's wide enough to encompass the text?

[Edit] Just in case it might be of help, these are the extensions and versions I have listed in the chat window when my Dark Eye campaign loads:

MoreCore v1.54
CoreRpg ruleset v.3.3.10
MoreCore - The Dark Eye (TDE) community extension v0.2
MoreCore - Dark Eye Theme (no version listed)

Skellan
March 26th, 2020, 18:21
Please could you send me a screenshot of the offending buttons?

kronovan
March 26th, 2020, 19:34
OK will do.

Raddu
March 27th, 2020, 06:09
I'm having the same issue.

Skellan
March 27th, 2020, 09:16
I think this is an issue with an extension you are running. My version does not look like that. Do you know if a recent version of More Core has changed graphics?

damned
March 27th, 2020, 10:29
I think this is an issue with an extension you are running. My version does not look like that. Do you know if a recent version of More Core has changed graphics?

It has. Ill send you some code to update the extension with.

Skellan
March 27th, 2020, 10:38
You're a star - thank you

Raddu
April 12th, 2020, 23:17
Any updates to this? I want to do a how to play stream on the Ulisses Twitch channel. Any ideas on when it might be fixed Skellan?

damned
April 13th, 2020, 01:55
I realise I didnt provide you that info Skellan
The attached files should fix the sidebar for you.

Skellan
April 13th, 2020, 09:51
Thanks ever so much Damned.

Raddu - I have updated the download in post one. It should work now. Let me know if you have any problems.

And I would love to watch your stream - please let me know when it is on!

Raddu
April 13th, 2020, 15:27
Great! I'll check it out and if all is well I'll stream on Wednesday and post more details here.

herogrimm
April 14th, 2020, 16:22
Hi Skellan,

thank you for this theme - it looks really nice in the picture! Unfortunately, I still have the same problem with the buttons Raddu had. I downloaded the new new extension today but still have the problem. I am using FGU not classic edition, might that be the reason? THX!!

Raddu
April 14th, 2020, 20:23
The side buttons are the rectangular version now, they no longer have the scroll flare. Is that what it's supposed to look like @Skellan?

Raddu
April 14th, 2020, 20:32
OK, it looks like the buttons weren't included in the sidebar folder. I added them and now have this. Which is serviceable. Thanks everyone!33685

Skellan
April 15th, 2020, 09:37
It looks like an update to More Core changed the buttons layout so the old old scrolls have now been replaced. Hope it is still serviceable for you.

I have not done much with Unity yet so for the time being this extension is just for Classic.

Have fun

Raddu
April 15th, 2020, 16:15
Yes, it works great. I'll be doing a walkthrough today at 11am Pacific time on https://www.twitch.tv/ulissesinternational. It will also be up later for VOD on youtube and twitch.

Here is the updated version with Damned's sidebar images.

kronovan
April 15th, 2020, 16:34
I loaded the extension that Raddu posted a link to and all the buttons display correctly just as they do in Raddu's screenshot - Good job Skellan.

Skellan
April 15th, 2020, 21:14
I think Raddu deserves the credit :)

Good luck with your stream Raddu. I won't be able to watch it live due to the time difference but I will definitely watch it on catch up.

Would you like me to replace the extension on the front page with your properly updated one?

Raddu
April 15th, 2020, 23:31
Sure, it seems that it works. Thanks Skellan!

The stream went well, it's available as VOD on the twitch channel and should be done loading on Youtube in a while (https://youtu.be/bkMxiUxpo0w)

Skellan
April 16th, 2020, 05:28
Ok, I have updated post 1. Thanks for your help.

Glad the stream went well. I haven't seen an English Dark Eye stream before, so I am excited to watch it.

kronovan
April 16th, 2020, 16:34
I think Raddu deserves the credit :)

Oh OK. Thank you Raddu. ;)

mir
April 23rd, 2020, 10:32
Hi , Thanks for all the TDE material! However the TDE theme now gives error messages on FG unity.
[4/23/2020 7:19:25 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] icon: Could not find image file (graphics/sidebar/but_options_down.png) for icon (button_options_down). [MoreCore_Dark_Eye_Theme] [graphics/graphics_icons.xml]
[4/23/2020 7:19:25 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] icon: Could not find image file (graphics/sidebar/but_moodlighting_down.png) for icon (button_light_down). [MoreCore_Dark_Eye_Theme] [graphics/graphics_icons.xml]
[4/23/2020 7:19:29 PM] [WARNING] Frame desktop contains out-of-range values in Top.
[4/23/2020 7:19:29 PM] [WARNING] Frame desktop contains out-of-range values in Left.
[4/23/2020 7:19:29 PM] [WARNING] Frame desktop contains out-of-range values in Middle.
[4/23/2020 7:19:29 PM] s'aMajor: ' | { } | s' aMinor: ' | { }
[4/23/2020 7:19:29 PM] s'onInit: registerResultHandler'
[4/23/2020 7:19:29 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Error while measuring font [windowtitle]
[4/23/2020 7:19:29 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Error while measuring font [windowtitle]
[4/23/2020 7:19:30 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Error while measuring font [sidebar]
[4/23/2020 7:19:30 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Error while measuring font [sidebar]

And so on...

mir
April 26th, 2020, 07:44
Hi Trenloe, Skellan
On FGU I still get error messages and blank sidebars. Was the fix only for FG classic?
updated MoreCore and the TDE extension and also the button images and XML files manually added with no success.
Is there a fix for FGU? Thanks in advance...!
[4/26/2020 4:35:49 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] icon: Could not find image file (graphics/sidebar/but_options_down.png) for icon (button_options_down). [MoreCore_Dark_Eye_Theme] [graphics/graphics_icons.xml]
[4/26/2020 4:35:49 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] icon: Could not find image file (graphics/sidebar/but_moodlighting_down.png) for icon (button_light_down). [MoreCore_Dark_Eye_Theme] [graphics/graphics_icons.xml]
[4/26/2020 4:35:51 PM] [WARNING] Frame desktop contains out-of-range values in Top.
[4/26/2020 4:35:51 PM] [WARNING] Frame desktop contains out-of-range values in Left.
[4/26/2020 4:35:51 PM] [WARNING] Frame desktop contains out-of-range values in Middle.
[4/26/2020 4:35:51 PM] s'aMajor: ' | { } | s' aMinor: ' | { }
[4/26/2020 4:35:51 PM] s'onInit: registerResultHandler'
[4/26/2020 4:35:52 PM] [WARNING] Error while measuring font [windowtitle]

Skellan
April 26th, 2020, 08:51
Hi

I made this extension ages ago for my personal use and shared it here in case it could be of use to the community. I built it for classic and I do not know anything about Unity, sorry. Once unity come out of beta and gets more stable I may look at this.