PDA

View Full Version : Ruleset Compendium

tdwyer11b
May 7th, 2006, 05:58
Was wondering if it was worth the time to create a list of all the created rulesets for FG? Would be a great way to show what is available.

Wiki Link:

https://scratchpad.wikia.com/wiki/Ruleset_Modification_%26_Creation

On the D&D side of things, I think it's all covered:

D&D
Basic D&D
Elric's AD&D 1st ed.
AD&D 2nd ed.
3.5(included ruleset)
Arcana Evolved

Others:
Warhammer FRPG
D20 Modern
Adventure!
Star Wars D6/D20
Iron Kingdoms
Hero Quest
Shadowrun
Hackmaster

Saw something about a Rolemaster ruleset on the web, can anyone verify?

Updated 6/21/06

DarkStar
May 7th, 2006, 09:23
3.0 (included ruleset)

Huh? I would swear that I am running a 3.5 game. :D The included ruleset works for 3.0 and 3.5, charsheet looks the same, you still roll d20 and add your modifiers - this didn't change with the update, hehe. Since there are no mechanics in Fantasy Grounds, you should say that both 3.0 and 3.5 are included.

Stuart
May 7th, 2006, 09:59
Arcana Evolved

tdwyer11b
May 7th, 2006, 10:16
I'll keep a running total at the top:D

Griogre
May 7th, 2006, 21:36
Since there are no mechanics in Fantasy Grounds, you should say that both 3.0 and 3.5 are included.

No offense but that would be pretty loose, and disapoint some if you said the included ruleset was both 3.0 and 3.5. The feats, spells, character classes and monsters and all the rest of the referance material are all 3.5.

Unless I am missing something and there is a way to play in 3.0 mode? :confused:

Oberoten
May 7th, 2006, 22:18
Working on a D6 version at the moment. Will have to wait for 1.6 to see how well it will work.

cantrels
May 7th, 2006, 23:29
I've got a Star Wars D20 in progress...it's functional now, just not pretty :)

Sathas
May 8th, 2006, 00:40
Iron Kingdoms...most awesome setting in the world (well ok ok...tied with Forgotten Realms).

Ganadai
May 8th, 2006, 05:11
I have made a ruleset for Hero Quest.

DarkStar
May 8th, 2006, 09:14
No offense but that would be pretty loose, and disapoint some if you said the included ruleset was both 3.0 and 3.5. The feats, spells, character classes and monsters and all the rest of the referance material are all 3.5.

Actually, you are right. The SRD is 3.5, because that's what you can find at WotC website. I play 3.25 myself.:D

Griogre
May 8th, 2006, 21:59
Actually, you are right. The SRD is 3.5, because that's what you can find at WotC website. I play 3.25 myself.:D

I play about 3.4 myself. ;) It is suppose to be 3.5, but I played 3.0 just long enough that sometimes I forget what rule is current. I have very polite players who often don't correct me - espicially when its in their favor. :rolleyes:

badphantom
May 9th, 2006, 20:45
startet working on Shadowrun ruleset

tdwyer11b
May 10th, 2006, 04:09
Shadowrun would be cool, definately like to see how that turns out.

mr_h
May 12th, 2006, 14:12
Has anyone worked on a Top Secret SI ruleset? *pondering that one....*

Face
May 12th, 2006, 14:46
I know there is some Hackmaster stuff floating out there....

My ruleset is mostly cosmetic changes (dice, icons & custom desktop) but there is a character sheet almost done and I'm not sure what is being done as far as actual rules go.

a_verheaghe
May 12th, 2006, 17:00
The Hero Quest ruleset- is it the old boardgame or the newer roleplaying game?
Thanks,
Andy

tdwyer11b
June 22nd, 2006, 09:17
Just a bump, also wondering whether or not ppl want to add screenshots of their rulesets as examples of peoples creativity with FG. Also, would it be worth adding this list to the wiki?

Galfaroth
June 25th, 2006, 23:32
Hello there. Where can we find those rulesets? I'm looking for Warhammer Maybe you should link every ruleset with it's status/download page. Thank you! :)

Tailz Silver Paws
June 26th, 2006, 04:09
Was working on a rule set for my World War II stuff - but put it on hold till V2 comes out.

tdwyer11b
June 26th, 2006, 05:46
Hello there. Where can we find those rulesets? I'm looking for Warhammer Maybe you should link every ruleset with it's status/download page. Thank you! :)

Well, I can't really do that. I posted this thread as an exercise in showing the content for FG that was being developed other than the default ruleset as a means to encourage others to develop their own. When you join the message boards, you agree not to post copyrighted content. The moderators of the forums would have a fit if I did post links and most likely remove it soon after they were posted. Whether you agree with this or not, you have to respect the rules. My suggestion is, if you would like another ruleset, join a game that is using the system you want.

IconoclastX
July 4th, 2006, 04:11
So, hypothetically, if I decide I'd like to acquire someone's commercial work (I have no examples, because I just got the software today), I could simply join a game where that ruleset is being used? I am guessing the ruleset has to be downloaded to the client machines as well. What happens if I then turn around and run the program as DM? Do I have the full ruleset available to me even though I haven't paid for it? That seems like a bit of a problem for people who sell their work...

PS - I'm all for providing links to the downloads/webpages of the products. That is not copyright information, it's just free advertising. Obviously if it's a commercial product, just point to the website where it can be purchased...

tdwyer11b
July 4th, 2006, 04:44
That's easy to answer, all of em are yes. Thats why there is a lot of legal warnings being put out over the boards. In fact when you sign up to use the message boards, you agree not to distribute copyright content through the message boards. I'm not saying rulesets don't get traded though :)

FiveSola
July 4th, 2006, 13:33
I am curious how hard or time consuming it is to create a ruleset? I would love to run a nWOD game or Mutants & Masterminds (MnM). MnM wouldnt be too bad since it is based on D20 I could probably get away with the Modern SRD(?) ruleset but I would have to figure how to create character sheets.
I have some experience in HTML but I'm thinking XML is vastly different than just 2 letters :D

The white wolf stuff would give me a lot of problems though I guess games can be run without having a specific ruleset? correct? (I haven't DMed a game yet)

tdwyer11b
July 4th, 2006, 22:54
It's not that difficult, but in my experience it can be very time consuming. I've been working on an AD&D2e ruleset off and on for about 4 months now. I guess it depends on how much of the rules information you want to include in the ruleset. As far as the character sheet goes, designing one withing the constraints of a graphic size that still fits on the FG desktop gets frustrating at times.

dLANbandit
July 7th, 2006, 15:13
How about we put this work on the wiki for all to use, see and build on?

https://scratchpad.wikia.com/wiki/Fantasy_Grounds

tdwyer11b
July 8th, 2006, 06:50
How about we put this work on the wiki for all to use, see and build on?

https://scratchpad.wikia.com/wiki/Fantasy_Grounds

Thanx for the opportunity, I think by knowing what has been created serves several functions. First it negates the need for people to duplicate rulesets that have already been coded and also helps take the intimidation factor from people wanting to create a ruleset. It also functions to SW benefit as a promotional tool for prospective buyers who enjoy game systems other than d20 D&D. What section of the wiki should this be placed under?

tdwyer11b
August 4th, 2006, 20:09
Posted a bunch of screenshots from some of the various rulesets out there, if you guys have one that hasn't been added by all means put it in there. The image size I'm using is 320x240.

https://scratchpad.wikia.com/wiki/Ruleset_Modification_%26_Creation

Salar
August 5th, 2006, 08:04
I thought I read on this forum that there's a Harnmaster mod floating about as well. Yes? No? Am I going mad?

Klaug
August 11th, 2006, 19:16
How can I acquire the AD&D 1st edition ruleset?

Bumble
August 15th, 2006, 12:57
Just been looking at the wiki and got all excited about seeing the Call of Cthulhu one. however i cant find the infernal thing. google isnt being helpful and the wiki doesnt have any links to who produces it.

Little help please?

Mainframemouse
August 15th, 2006, 14:23
the scratch pad has a lovely screen of Call of cthulhu (d100) mod. Anyone know where the source is.

PS I'm working on a SLA mod

Bumble
August 15th, 2006, 17:56
the scratch pad has a lovely screen of Call of cthulhu (d100) mod. Anyone know where the source is.

PS I'm working on a SLA mod

on a side note: Hoorah for SLA!

any info on the d100 CoC would be much appreciated.

raynbow
August 16th, 2006, 14:06
I read that there were some people working on Mutants and Masterminds at one point. Anyone know if they ever made any progress?

J'JayJay
August 16th, 2006, 19:34
It's nice of you guys to list the rulesets, but what I'd really like to know is where to find them;)

Can you help?

Snikle
August 16th, 2006, 20:10
Well, as many of those rulesets are of copyrighted material and not 'official' rulesets, most of those could not be hosted (legally) somewhere. Perhaps you could get then through contact with the creators via email. I know DA's SRD and MSRD ones are available on their site, and the FUM d20 Modern SRD is available on the FUM site, other than that.....

Talen
August 17th, 2006, 00:08
I second the M&M interest! I'd love to get that one, or just play in a game...have the #*@& ruleset but can't find anyone around here to game with! doh!

tdwyer11b
August 17th, 2006, 04:57
I agree with Snikle, there might be a little confusion out there as to why I started this post. The purpose of the thread wasn't meant to be a source for distributing copyrighted works, rather how people are using FG to suit their game systems. I think I mentioned that somewhere further up the thread when someone asked to put d/l links on the forum, which violates the use agreement for these forums. Like I said before, not everyones going to agree with that, but you have to respect the rules.

Lerithyn
August 20th, 2006, 00:01
I loved this thread! It was great to see all of the rulesets that have been created. I like that wiki-thing, the pictures of the rulesets were real nice and I just discovered that there was an FG editor. I never knew because I never took the time to look. Maybe I'll try fumbling with it a bit in the future when it comes out.

Now my question...

Why isnt there any Whitewolf rulesets around? Dont people still play Vampire, Werewolf, and all them other D10 games? Or was none ever created because it would be awkward playing that game on tabletop?

One last thing before I go. tdwyer11b - perhaps you should add that wiki-link to your first post as well. I had to browse through the whole post wondering, "Why arnt there any pictures?" Just a suggestion.

Lero

joshuha
August 20th, 2006, 00:11
Since WoD rulesets revolve around dice pools that concept can't be used right now. There is no way to roll 10d10 and come up with the number of success and failures. You can manually eyeball it but it slows down gameplay a lot since the numbers for large rolls arent in order or anything.

However, with 2.0 this should be a bit easier to do.

Lerithyn
August 20th, 2006, 00:14
Ah I see. Well the same thing goes for Shadowrun and our Shadowrun campaign has been going on quite well. No slowdown checking for success. ;) Besides, an experienced gamer has perfected that eyeball-the-dice technique, yah?

tdwyer11b
August 20th, 2006, 01:43
It is done;)

Zane_Marlowe
August 22nd, 2006, 18:48
I've built a White Wolf ruleset for Adventure! and posted the images necessary to do pools on a thread in the workshop. We've been playing an Aberrant game for some weeks now, and it's not hard at all, even if the dice are not setup for it.