PDA

View Full Version : New PC Solved Lag Issues

dellanx
May 19th, 2018, 17:11
I had lag issues was running a 7 year old I7, good for the time it was built.

As a GM I had players complaining about not seeing maps and such. Now, I am very happy, even the player that could not see the maps some times, or maps would load slow, now sees maps load instantly.

New System built:
AMD Ryzen 7 2700x
ASUS MB +470x +gaming
500 GB Samsung EVO NVME SSD
500 GB SSD (transferred) and 500 GB HD (transferred)
2 TB HD
16 GB DDR4 Ram
Nvidia GTX 1060ti 6 gb
DVDRW
Mid tower w/750 w PS

Well worth the investment.

dberkompas
May 19th, 2018, 18:49
I just bought a similar system for my son, but without the SSD system drive.

How fast does your machine boot up. I hear some people say it takes 10-15 seconds, WOW!

Dave

Trenloe
May 19th, 2018, 18:53
As a GM I had players complaining about not seeing maps and such. Now, I am very happy, even the player that could not see the maps some times, or maps would load slow, now sees maps load instantly.
I'm glad your experience has improved significantly.

Whereas your system spec will improve sharing to some respect, the main thing impacting image/map sharing is the size of the image file. If maps now load "instantly" then I'm guessing they've already been shared and are in the player's local cache data, or they file size is pretty small.

But, in general, if the GM's computer is faster than before, then the FG experience for all will be improved. :)

dellanx
May 19th, 2018, 18:57
I just bought a similar system for my son, but without the SSD system drive.

How fast does your machine boot up. I hear some people say it takes 10-15 seconds, WOW!

Dave

There may be a Bios issue, my PC tends to take a second hit because the Bios does not go to boot. In my case it takes a long time to boot, there is a Boot delay also that may be set in the Bios setting, saw my PC guy change that setting. He also changed some settings seems to work better, he said that the latest version of Bios is on the system, he will call to investigate the Boot/Re-Boot problem.

dellanx
May 19th, 2018, 19:08
I'm glad your experience has improved significantly.

Whereas your system spec will improve sharing to some respect, the main thing impacting image/map sharing is the size of the image file. If maps now load "instantly" then I'm guessing they've already been shared and are in the player's local cache data, or they file size is pretty small.

But, in general, if the GM's computer is faster than before, then the FG experience for all will be improved. :)

Trenloe, Thanks Much! Very Happy. The Ryzen Gen 2 goes from 3.8 GHz to 4.3 GHz when it encounters apps that don't take advantage of multiple processors, that was a "no brainier" in my book!

Was also glad I could get port forwarding to work. I have Comcast, the tech support reset and updated the firmware on my modem. Than he quit, because he could not get Port forwarding to work. After he quit I decided to give it one more try, and WHAMO!!! It worked, the modem must have still been resetting when he tried. It was wonderful, game is today, glad I picked it up yesterday!

Trenloe
May 19th, 2018, 19:11
After he quit I decided to give it one more try, and WHAMO!!! It worked, the modem must have still been resetting when he tried. It was wonderful, game is today, glad I picked it up yesterday!
Fantastic news all round! :)