PDA

View Full Version : 2018/05/18 FG Stream Discussion

celestian
May 18th, 2018, 19:21
So, I missed the first half of the stream today but was listening to it from the recording on twitch (https://www.twitch.tv/videos/262743687) and right around 00:30:28 (30 min) Doug mentions something about exporting Story entries to ref-manuals. Sounds a lot like my /author tool ;) I look forward to seeing what comes of this, specially if it encourages Smiteworks to add "inline" images on Story entries.

Did I hear correctly?

Nyghtmare
May 22nd, 2018, 05:25
You heard correctly. I am not sure if it something that is going to be released to the general public or not, though... it may be one of their in-house tools.

He didn't really say either way, from what I remember.

celestian
May 22nd, 2018, 05:37
You heard correctly. I am not sure if it something that is going to be released to the general public or not, though... it may be one of their in-house tools.

He didn't really say either way, from what I remember.

If it ends up being "inhouse" only I'll be very disappointed. /Author will do most of it already using story entries. It just cannot export images or build a .mod file because of the limits of what is allowed access from LUA. It does create the client/db.xml and the definitions.xml file...

If I they could just insert the code into the /export process it could easily do it for us all in one swipe. Right now I use /Author to generate the client.xml file and then copy/paste that chunk along with a tweaked <library> entry into the .mod xml file and it works great.

Mine you, it would work best if they also had inline images in the Story entries ;)

Nyghtmare
May 22nd, 2018, 14:04
The NPC Engineer looks like it is going to have full Reference Manuals down the road, from all indications. They currently can do it for NPC modules.

Rob2e is trying to line up a guest for his "All Things Fantasy Grounds" show on Twitch to cover this topic as well.

So there should be options.

celestian
May 22nd, 2018, 15:58
The NPC Engineer looks like it is going to have full Reference Manuals down the road, from all indications. They currently can do it for NPC modules.

Rob2e is trying to line up a guest for his "All Things Fantasy Grounds" show on Twitch to cover this topic as well.

So there should be options.

Isn't NPC Engineer an external thing? I'm hoping for more tools within FG to manage all this. I don't want to have to leave FG to make content if I can avoid it.

Nyghtmare
May 23rd, 2018, 23:37
Yeah... NPC Engineer is a separate, standalone product.

I understand you wanting to be able to do everything from within Fantasy Grounds itself... I would as well... I was just tossing that out there because it is heading in the direction of being able to do Reference Manuals (they seem like they eventually want to be able to create a complete module for FG but outside of FG itself).

celestian
May 24th, 2018, 01:23
I've actually thought about making an wysiwyg editor for it that was external. C# has some really simple tools to do it (at least in one direction) but I'm wondering how things will change in FGU. Perhaps even within it. I've got a few things to work on right now anyway so holding out hope that it's not needed down the road.

If someone else does do something like that and it's not ruleset specific that will be great ;)

Nyghtmare
May 24th, 2018, 02:56
Yeah... NPC Engineer is for 5e only, which limits it for sure.

5e is the most popular RPG, but Pathfinder, Savage Worlds, and a lot of other systems have their supporters as well.