PDA

View Full Version : Character Creation Issues (Manage Characters vs. Campaign)

The High Druid
May 18th, 2018, 10:53
Having a bit of a frustrating morning with the new book and it has revealed some issues that I hadn't spotted before, because I'm usually on the DM side of the fence.

I pretty much always generate characters in "Manage Character" mode because you can't get the Roll and Points tabs on the chat window in Campaign Mode. This morning while poking around the new book in I noticed it wasn't possible to use either the new background templates (Dwarf, Halfling, or Gith), or the Xanathar's Background Story Template while in Manage Characters. Zacchaeus has explained to me this is because they generate story entries which the DM needs to create, and I guess Story entries can't exist in Manage Characters, but also "Everyone else does that [generate characters] in the campaign."

So first up seems I am not the only one struggling with the story templates (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?43869-How-do-you-set-Xanathar-Story-Table-Templates-Player-facing-so-they-generate&p=390101&viewfull=1#post390101) so I won't repeat the stuff from there.

Secondly, as far as the character creation goes, if it's expected characters will be generated inside the campaign, isn't it a bit silly that we can't see the Roll and Points tabs there? Ideally as DM options that can be turned on and off. It's so much more convenient to generate Ability scores, particularly for points, when those tabs are available that it's really very odd they can't be used in campaigns.

So if you want to use the tabs, you have to start in Manage Characters, and if you want to use the templates you have to be in a campaign (with your DM, or have your own campaign created just for character generation) to generate the background templates, and if you want to do both, you start in one and import the character into the other, in order to finish.

It's quite frustrating this can't all be done in the one place.

Zacchaeus
May 18th, 2018, 13:09
Add this to the wish list (point buy and dice roller in the campaign). Link in my signature

Trenloe
May 18th, 2018, 16:04
Yeah, it’s nice that the FG devs are expanding content with story templates etc.. Unfortunately, this isn’t something that works with manage characters.

Manage characters is good functionality for accessing PCs from campaigns you've played in and also for preparing a PC ready to upload when you join a game, and for those with a demo license needing to create a PC who can’t run a campaign locally. But, as it doesn’t have the FG campaign database functionality, some advanced features won’t work.

LordEntrails
May 18th, 2018, 17:47
Added to the wishlist here; https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/proj/fg2app?ia=118566

Bonkon
May 20th, 2018, 18:39
Added to the wishlist here; https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/proj/fg2app?ia=118566

Good Day All :)
Upvoted this one! I always thought it odd that the character creation tabs were not in campaign mode, but never thought to add it to the wishlist :)