PDA

View Full Version : How do you set Xanathar Story/Table Templates Player-facing so they generate?

paladiusdarkhelm
May 18th, 2018, 00:24
How does a DM set his game up so that players can access the embedded tables and be able to manipulate the output options (like set it to story)? How does a DM allow players to access the Xanathar Backgrounds story template for example in a manner in which the players get access to the generate button and so can use it to create characters?

Thanks!

LordEntrails
May 18th, 2018, 01:26
Share the Player module with the players. It should have everything you are looking for and want them to have.

Zacchaeus
May 18th, 2018, 09:34
Players can't actually generate anything from a Template since they can't create stories.

So the DM would need to generate the Story from the template and share that with the players.

The High Druid
May 18th, 2018, 10:18
Couldn't the Templates generate a Note entry for a player instead of a Story entry, or even Note for player and DM as I'd much rather everyone gets to use the templates. Is there much structurally different between the two (behind the scenes, as it were) that would make this difficult or not possible? And if it is possible would that make the templates available in Manage Characters? (I can't recall if you can make notes there or not, I'm guessing not).

Having the DM generate and share it is far from ideal, particularly for Xanathar's Background Story Template , as the player won't be able to make any adjustments to it.

Zacchaeus
May 18th, 2018, 13:14
Story Templates are only available to the GM at present. And they only generate stories. I think having them generate anything else such as notes would be quite a substantial re-write of the code.

I can understand the frustration but I thought that Story Templates would be a good idea when I did Xanathar and Mordenkainen. I could leave them out but I think that denies the possibility of their use altogether. As noted in my reply to your other post you could add this request to the wish list so that the devs are aware of your request.

The High Druid
May 18th, 2018, 14:52
You know, I forget sometimes that a lot of this stuff is "additional content" for FG that doesn't actually appear in the books. I'll try to remember that next time I come across something that isn't quite working the way I would like it to.