PDA

View Full Version : Dungeon Bash

Yars_Revenge
May 5th, 2006, 07:38
Dungeon Bash is a random dungeon creator/encounter campaign. I have played many sessions of this with my local friends and i felt like sharing it with others so i purchased FG and have been hard at work implimenting all of the random dungeon tables and monster tables into FG. Im no XML wiz so you can imagine the time it took me to do this :P

Im new to FG so i will start off with a 4 player campaign . I can DM or play thats the great part about DB. If i can get 4 people for the first go around i will obviosly DM . Dungeon Bash's main focus is crackin skulls and looting dead bodies. There is very little roleplay and is suited for those who like combat . But there are quests and side quests and some of the skills that you might think are useless in a dungeon are the same ones that open up NPC's to give the bigger and better quests.

I have done all the hard work but now its time for me to teach DB's unique rules and get my feet wet with FG. So im looking for new players who would like to learn with me. Nobody knows the outcome and nobody knows whats lurking around the the next corner. I have added alot of house rules that me and my friends have already used to spice things up and keep DB moving smooth.

So plan on this .. Showing up and getting to know each other and also rolling your characters and entering the dungeon.. Its best not to roll them b4 hand cause there are some unique skills and feats that you can choose from to make your dungeon crawler more prepared for what lies ahead. Basically to start this first session im lookin for the basic 4 food groups Fighter/Barb, Cleric, Mage, Rogue ... Im currently working out how gameplay will go solo and hope to address alot of issue b4 i start the campaign but i cant promise it will be hiccup free. Group communication is the key here.. Tactics Tactics Tactics will be a key role in DB . At first you may think "man this a cakewalk" then the group is caught fighting some zombies in the corridors and make a enough noise to attract the kobolds around the corner.

I still have alot of work to do but im ready for a session as soon as possible . I have everything ready for a 1st level campaign now im adding all the buzzers bells and whistles so the players can look at all the tables and follow along with the action as it unfolds. Im made links to everything i could so fast monster viewing,NPC's and trap access should be sweet. I can see that using FG Vs Live tabletop play is gonna be 10 times faster now that i have all the info linked and at my fingertips .

If you would like to play and learn FG with me and or help me along with the first session just drop a line in here and if i see interest i will put it up on the calender. Im ready this weekend sometime if the players are available .. Friday,Saturday or Sunday 8pm-? Central Time . I would prefer to use Voice chat (Teamspeak) since i hate typing . If you dont have a Mic its always great to listen. Post when you'd like to play and if anything if i can get atleast one person to help this weekend work out the bugs and get the ball rolling. Hope to see ya ...

Peace

John_Geeshu
May 5th, 2006, 15:37
I can't read your mess, can you put it into paragraphs, and add some punctuation in please. Thank you.

Yars_Revenge
May 5th, 2006, 16:13
It was far from a mess it just needed some paragraphs :rolleyes:

John_Geeshu
May 5th, 2006, 17:20
It is in fact a mess. You have just 5 commas in the whole post! Do you have Microsoft WORD, or a similar word processor? Copy and paste, and then hit spell check. I count no less than 50 blatant spelling/grammer errors, not counting the missing commas. Punctuate, or it's only so much gibberish.

Yars_Revenge
May 5th, 2006, 18:16
Wow i guess your the sites Ahole .. Please to meet you! Its a internet forum post not a midterm paper. I cant image your ingame demeanor. Move along troll !

Yars_Revenge
May 5th, 2006, 18:17
i cant believe you counted my comma's :eek:

John_Geeshu
May 5th, 2006, 18:41
Actually I used Microsoft WORD, Find and Replace. You should too. My criticism is highly relevant to the quality of your proposal. You should think about it some more, instead of working on a snappy comeback.

Stuart
May 5th, 2006, 19:31
grammer errors
Indeed ...:p

Sorry, could not resist.

John_Geeshu
May 5th, 2006, 19:49
Technically, that's my spelling error. Nobody's perfect after all. But one can try to be. Point taken, however. For some reason, I can never get that spelling right 100% of the time.

kalmarjan
May 5th, 2006, 19:57
Do you think you could do us a favor? If you have problems with each other, perhaps you could try to resolve it through PM's, as opposed to wasting posting space tittering back and forth.

The original post looks to have been modified; I cannot see the problem that started this whole thing.

Play nice, and keep on gaming. (If you did not use teamspeak, I would join. :) )

Sandeman

Yars_Revenge
May 5th, 2006, 22:41
The original post looks to have been modified;
I hit the enter key 5 times :P

And ya should of used PM cause now this thread is a mess :P

Teamspeak is not set in stone. But with the added rules it increases the odds of a misspelled word or lack of punctuation ;)

I just purchased a Lite version and currently testing how things work ATM. FG doesn't like both Full and Lite running at the same time :( but I managed to get it to work. I will be running through a lot of stuff with a local friend tonight around 7-8pm Central Time. But if anyone is interested in creating a character and learning the few rules beforehand just send me an email or PM . Ill be around all night.

VarnFury
May 6th, 2006, 04:40
If the game can be done on Satadays (my normal day off) i'll be more then happy to join this Crawler :)

Yars_Revenge
May 6th, 2006, 07:59
K well I'll set up a date on the calendar for Saturdays and will go from there. Just play tested it with 2 other people tonight and it was gangsta(Great). Looking forward to getting some more peeps for Saturdays ..

FG makes it difficult by not letting players have multiple characters so you don't always have to have 4 players connected.. The 3 of us played a 4 party group with the cleric as the "Lackey" character. We made it work. its just i had to setup dungeons and mobs while hosting my character and the cleric.

Which i don't get the features the players get, such as showing the other players where my bonuses come from and all the nifty stuff it spams into the chat box when you roll. So i just brought up there sheets and had to make my secret hidden generic die rolls. All in all it works just fine just id prefer that the other players could have more than one character to run.

DB has rules for no DM. When you play with no DM everybody contributes and were all together so there's no need for hidden rolls. And since it automatically hides my bonuses and rolls, it sucks cause no one knows if I'm fudgen it. Unless there's some haxor that i don't know about to fix this hidden DM rolling.

So it was an overall success and ill post it up for saturdays. I will be around 5/6 so if anyone is interested in learning or running thru some stuff just PM or email me .

Griogre
May 7th, 2006, 04:55
If you want your die rolls in the clear on the Full version you are going to have to use /die macros I'm afraid. I.E. /die 1d20+3 will show the roll and bonus in the clear.

Nalfien
May 10th, 2006, 16:23
I was one of the folks that tested the system with Yars. Here are some insights on the experience.

DB is sort of like the old board game Heroquest, but with 3.5ed rules. Instead of a DM creating the game before hand and placing monsters and all, the dungeon is created as you play by rolling on charts. This determines room sizes, locations and what's in them. Random encounter rolls add some nice flavor. The thing that makes DB so useful is that because its an on the fly dungeon DM's can have their cake and eat it to. You could actually play this game by yourself if you wanted to.

I honestly enjoy a roleplaying game with plot and depth much more, but for a night of tactical fighting with some friends at your side, Dungeon Bash is there to make sure there is a fair and fun way to do it.

EDIT: Oh, and Grigore or anyone else: Because the dungeon is randomly generated, we wanted to have large tokens that can be placed together to make the dungeon floor (sort of like the peices put together on a game of D&D mini's). The problem we have there is that player and monster tokens fall through behind the large "token" for the floor. Is there a way to pin that base token to the map to where we can only move the players and monsters?

Griogre
May 10th, 2006, 21:41
EDIT: Oh, and Grigore or anyone else: Because the dungeon is randomly generated, we wanted to have large tokens that can be placed together to make the dungeon floor (sort of like the peices put together on a game of D&D mini's). The problem we have there is that player and monster tokens fall through behind the large "token" for the floor. Is there a way to pin that base token to the map to where we can only move the players and monsters?

Someone answered this on another thread, but unfortuanately no. The z buffer (or whatever determines token pickup order) appears to work on a FIFO manner. It would be a nice feature if the drawing order of a token could be prioritized.

Griogre
May 10th, 2006, 21:56
Hmm, just thought of this. If you don't mind square rooms you could use a square pointer for the rooms. You could then use kalmarjan's door tokens for the doors or just draw them.