PDA

View Full Version : Further Modifications to d6 Star Wars ruleset (SWRPG)

Lord Kavos
May 14th, 2018, 13:57
Help please demigods and developers...

I have been going through the functionality of the d6 Star Wars ruleset (SWRPG) for my new campaign, and there are a couple of things I'm hoping you can help me fix to make this ruleset awesome...

I will list the issues I would like to address in number point below (no particular order) - I am looking for simple fixes I can do myself (hopefully - as I have no coding xp), or if there is any way one of you experienced developers can help a novice out without too much difficulty or taking up too much of your time.

1. Selecting Portraits for characters. As the ruleset currently stands there is no link for portraits on the character sheet - there is a space set aside for it, but no link to click on that opens a portrait folder. Is there an .xml file that I can copy from another ruleset & add to accommodate this? Also, will the portraits show in the character selection window & the chat window, or will that require further modifications?

2. Adding a second checkbox for Wounded in the health status window. In the 2nd edition rules, characters can get wounded twice before they become incapacitated, so if I could add a 2nd check box to include this it would be helpful. But not a big issue if I can get 3. fixed below...

3. Changing the Wounds box on the combat tracker to allow alphabetical characters instead of just numerical. So I can put in an S for stunned, W for wounded, WW for 2 wounds, etc. Though this is not a big issue as I can just assign a numerical value for these if I have to.

4. Linking a skill to the Initiative field in the combat tracker. In d6 SW, the Perception stat is used for initiative rolls, but if I link that stat then it would change their initiative every time I asked them to roll a perception check. So I was thinking to have an Initiative Skill linked to this field, or alternatively can I create a new box on the main character page for initiative that is linked to the tracker? Option 2 may be difficult though as I would then have to change the window sizes as there is no room to add another stat as it currently stands.

5. Adding characters from the selection window to the combat tracker. Not a biggie, but the ruleset doesn't allow the drag & drop function of PCs that the core ruleset does. If too difficult I will just create entries for each PC on the tracker itself - it does lets me drag & drop NPC personalities, so that's all I really need anyway.

6. Grid resizing for maps - when I add a grid layer, but the resizing & moving arrows legend for the grid don't show at the top of the map. So I can't resize or adjust the grid - I have to remove the layer & keep adding it until I get the size to match the grid on the maps.

7. Token scale lock to the map grid - when I drag tokens from the combat tracker they do not lock to the grid scale on the map - even if I have resized the 1st token & then locked the scale, the next token I have to resize down again anyway.

8. Allowing Dulux Oz's extensions to run - specifically base & sound extension. Would love to be able to have the chat sound triggers to work in this ruleset (blaster sounds would be way cool), but I get the feeling this may be difficult to implement as there is no options button link in the SW ruleset where I could turn it on (like you do in 5E & PFRPG), and the DOE extensions don't appear in the campaign details window when i load the campaign up (so this is mostly a pipe dream request if it is possible).

9. Changing the colour of the wild die - as it stands the ruleset counts the 1st dice rolled as the wild die, but all dice are the same colour. Is there a way to have the wild die a different colour (even if its a static colour that all wild die stay as regardless of the colour chosen by the players for the rest of their dice?)

For the most part the modifications I have mentioned above don't prevent me from using the ruleset as is, they would just make things easier for the game to run smoother (and way cooler if the sound extension can work). So I will anticipate & appreciate your responses to my questions above, if they are too difficult or time consuming i will just make do with the ruleset as it stands.

Thank you in advance, all us FG users appreciate the great work you have done with our favorite VTT!

Lord Kavos
May 14th, 2018, 14:05
deleted a 2nd message - replied on wrong thread

Trenloe
May 14th, 2018, 14:27
Moved to the Workshop forum, as this is more appropriate than the problem support forum.

This is a ruleset that we released before FG 3.0 and CoreRPG and some things worked differently then. Some quick answers:

1) Before FG 3.0 only players can assign portraits to a PC. Start a player instance to see this functionality - open a PC, then click the portriats button on the top right of the desktop to open the portrait selection window.

5) Drag the PC portrait form the desktop to the combat tracker. A players needs to have joined the game and selected a PC.

6) Yep, keep trying until you get it right!

7) Locking the token scale works for me. Add a token to the map, zoom the map so that the token is the right size, then right-click -> Lock token scale. Then each token added to the map after that will use the same scaling factor. This will only work properly if the tokens are the same size (in pixels) as it is just a scaling factor (e.g. 0.5 scale) that is being applied, it is not matching to a map grid.

8) Dulux would have to do this (for his extensions to have official support in the d6 Star Wars ruleset ), or someone would have to migrate this ruleset to DOR. Both would probably not be insignificant tasks, and I doubt if Dulux would do it for this community ruleset.

damned
May 14th, 2018, 14:36
Help please demigods and developers...

I have been going through the functionality of the d6 Star Wars ruleset (SWRPG) for my new campaign, and there are a couple of things I'm hoping you can help me fix to make this ruleset awesome...

I will list the issues I would like to address in number point below (no particular order) - I am looking for simple fixes I can do myself (hopefully - as I have no coding xp), or if there is any way one of you experienced developers can help a novice out without too much difficulty or taking up too much of your time.

1. Selecting Portraits for characters. As the ruleset currently stands there is no link for portraits on the character sheet - there is a space set aside for it, but no link to click on that opens a portrait folder. Is there an .xml file that I can copy from another ruleset & add to accommodate this? Also, will the portraits show in the character selection window & the chat window, or will that require further modifications?

Players add portraits. Connect a localhost instance.

2. Adding a second checkbox for Wounded in the health status window. In the 2nd edition rules, characters can get wounded twice before they become incapacitated, so if I could add a 2nd check box to include this it would be helpful. But not a big issue if I can get 3. fixed below...

Something like this:

<checkbox name="healthwound">
<anchored>
<to>healthstun</to>
<position>belowleft</position>
<offset>0,7</offset>
<size>
<width>12</width>
<height>12</height>
</size>
</anchored>
</checkbox>
<checkbox name="healthwound1">
<anchored>
<to>healthstun</to>
<position>belowleft</position>
<offset>10,7</offset>
<size>
<width>12</width>
<height>12</height>
</size>
</anchored>
</checkbox>

3. Changing the Wounds box on the combat tracker to allow alphabetical characters instead of just numerical. So I can put in an S for stunned, W for wounded, WW for 2 wounds, etc. Though this is not a big issue as I can just assign a numerical value for these if I have to.

You would need to change the data type from Number to String.

4. Linking a skill to the Initiative field in the combat tracker. In d6 SW, the Perception stat is used for initiative rolls, but if I link that stat then it would change their initiative every time I asked them to roll a perception check. So I was thinking to have an Initiative Skill linked to this field, or alternatively can I create a new box on the main character page for initiative that is linked to the tracker? Option 2 may be difficult though as I would then have to change the window sizes as there is no room to add another stat as it currently stands.

5. Adding characters from the selection window to the combat tracker. Not a biggie, but the ruleset doesn't allow the drag & drop function of PCs that the core ruleset does. If too difficult I will just create entries for each PC on the tracker itself - it does lets me drag & drop NPC personalities, so that's all I really need anyway.

Connect a player instance and have the player select the Char.

6. Grid resizing for maps - when I add a grid layer, but the resizing & moving arrows legend for the grid don't show at the top of the map. So I can't resize or adjust the grid - I have to remove the layer & keep adding it until I get the size to match the grid on the maps.

7. Token scale lock to the map grid - when I drag tokens from the combat tracker they do not lock to the grid scale on the map - even if I have resized the 1st token & then locked the scale, the next token I have to resize down again anyway.

8. Allowing Dulux Oz's extensions to run - specifically base & sound extension. Would love to be able to have the chat sound triggers to work in this ruleset (blaster sounds would be way cool), but I get the feeling this may be difficult to implement as there is no options button link in the SW ruleset where I could turn it on (like you do in 5E & PFRPG), and the DOE extensions don't appear in the campaign details window when i load the campaign up (so this is mostly a pipe dream request if it is possible).

All require CoreRPG layering - or importing lots of code.

9. Changing the colour of the wild die - as it stands the ruleset counts the 1st dice rolled as the wild die, but all dice are the same colour. Is there a way to have the wild die a different colour (even if its a static colour that all wild die stay as regardless of the colour chosen by the players for the rest of their dice?)

For the most part the modifications I have mentioned above don't prevent me from using the ruleset as is, they would just make things easier for the game to run smoother (and way cooler if the sound extension can work). So I will anticipate & appreciate your responses to my questions above, if they are too difficult or time consuming i will just make do with the ruleset as it stands.

Thank you in advance, all us FG users appreciate the great work you have done with our favorite VTT!

Lord Kavos
May 14th, 2018, 15:00
Thanks for the assistance guys.

Will ask Dulux about his extensions, should have done that 1st anyway...

Dammed, for changing the wounds box form number to string, am i just replacing number with string wherever it appears?

Is this the right script I'm changing (utility_combattracker.xml)?

</script>
</numbercontrol>
<numbercontrol name="wounds">
<anchored>
<to>hp</to>
<position>right</position>
<offset>0,0</offset>
<size>
<width>34</width>
</size>
</anchored>
<hideonvalue value="0" />
<font>sheetnumbersmall</font>
<frame>
<name>modifier</name>
<offset>2,2,2,2</offset>
</frame>
<script>
function onDrop(x, y, draginfo)
if draginfo.getType() == "number" then
if linknode then
linknode.setValue(getValue() + draginfo.getNumberData());
else
setValue(getValue() + draginfo.getNumberData());
end
end

return true;
end

function onLinkUpdated(source)
setValue(source.getValue());
end

function onValueChanged()
if linknode then
linknode.setValue(getValue());
end
end

function setLink(dbnode)
if dbnode then
linknode = dbnode;
linknode.onUpdate = onLinkUpdated;
onLinkUpdated(linknode);

addBitmapWidget("indicator_linked").setPosition("bottomright", -5, -5);
end
end
</script>
</numbercontrol>

Lord Kavos
May 15th, 2018, 05:32
I got the combat tracker mod to work thanks Damned, I have one more request from you guys if possible...

The chat window is fairly small, I would like to increase the height / size of it if possible, but not sure what to change to achieve this outcome...

damned
May 15th, 2018, 06:17
This looks like a fixed size chat window so its set small so it works on all screens.

In your unpacked ruleset search for chat and look for these:

desktop_classes.xml
change
485 to 685
526 to 726
610 to 810

desktop_local.xml
485 to 685

adjust a bit smaller if that is too big for some players screens...

Lord Kavos
May 15th, 2018, 06:49
cheers thanks for that - made those changes & the window is bigger now, but the chat box cursor sits lower in the typing window (almost over the frame) and the bottom line in the chat window sits low against the bottom border.

Is there anything I can do to adjust these back up a bit?

damned
May 15th, 2018, 06:57
play with the figures a little.

<chatentry name="entry">
<bounds>16,726,310,20</bounds>

and

<stateframe>
<drophilight>
<name>chatboxhilight</name>
<offset>6,5,2,11</offset>
</drophilight>
</stateframe>

Change one figure at a time (second number in most pairs is vertical/height) but change it by 20px or more so you can be sure what you are changing.
Then tweak it till you get it right.
Make friends with /reload