PDA

View Full Version : Image on image vs. token on image vs. "other" for illusory wall on a map?

BronzeDodger
May 14th, 2018, 05:11
Situation: room with an illusory wall and trying to get my head around how to display things to the PCs.

Assuming they enter from the "you're in trouble" side of the wall, they see a room with four walls.
It's a PDF map I've captured and aligned to the grid.
When I remove the mask they'll see the opening to the guards - ambush fail.

What I'm not sure of is there a safe-ish way to add another image on top of the map image but one that won't get out of alignment?

(still new to this so bear with me...)

First thought was second image - but guessing that no matter if it's lined-up on my display, when I share it out, not only does it appear with a new name/banner, but it could appear anywhere on their screen.
So second idea was create a token that is nothing but "solid wall" and drop that in the right place on the map. Then I have a chance to unmask up to the wall, then share the token, and from the players' point-of-new they just see wall...but would there be tell-tales like faction coloration or the like to give away the token?

Or...should I have the copy of the map I'm pinning with story entries isolated to just me and have a full second copy that I share with the players then I can monkey with the map itself and redraw the wall?

Any ideas appreciated

LordEntrails
May 14th, 2018, 05:36
I would go with the second copy of the map. Laying a token over the image will be apparent to the players. You need an illusion version of the map that doesn't have opening to the guards.

This is similar to what I do with secret doors. In the player map I make "regular" walls where the secret door is. Then I the map the room or hall on the other side. I make the wall thick enough that I can reveal the room using the mask and it looks like a regular wall to the players. I can pull up some map examples if you want.

BronzeDodger
May 14th, 2018, 05:45
No that makes sense. I've been messing with tokens but I think a section of wall with a hit-point bar will tip off the well caffeinated players :)

Thanks

Andraax
May 14th, 2018, 05:53
This is the way I draw my hidden / secret doors. This way I can unmask images up to the door, and it looks normal, but I can then unmask the connection part to reveal the door.

https://s3.silent-tower.org/images/SecretDoor.JPG

damned
May 14th, 2018, 07:36
I do as Andraax suggests.
I dont put the secret doors on the map.

Davinci522
May 14th, 2018, 19:07
there is a map layers extension that you can make a wall token put it on a separate layer so that it can't accidentally be interacted with and then make the token invisible when they find the way through. I downloaded the extension awhile back and I am using it to hide traps. I place tokens for pits and hidden blades and then I reveal them when necessary.

BronzeDodger
May 15th, 2018, 03:05
This is a great tip...now to see if I can mildly butcher my own map :)

epithet
May 16th, 2018, 17:25
Instead of using a wall token that you remove when the party finds a door, you can always use a door (or empty floor, or passage, etc.) token that you place on the map when the party finds it. If you are using the map layers extension, you can place the opening token over a section of wall upon a layer that is not interactable by the players.

BronzeDodger
May 16th, 2018, 17:36
Map Layer extension sounds like the thing - didn't even occur to me. Figure that was a FGU day dream :)

Trenloe
May 16th, 2018, 17:38
Not a daydream, it's been around for a while: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20231-Enhanced-Images-%28layers%29-for-FG-3-0-CoreRPG-%28and-rulesets-based-on-CoreRPG%29

There are some gotchas - so make sure you read (and digest) them in posts #1 and #2. For some these gotchas outweigh what they get from the extension. You can decide if it will work for you. :)

GarthGiantbane
May 16th, 2018, 19:17
I always use the layers extension - the ability to drop dungeon dressing on the middle layer is great (this is also where I mark the dead bodies :) ). It does take some getting used to - mainly switching to the bottom layer to remove masking and back to the top to manipulate pc/npc tokens. But once you get things rolling it becomes 2nd nature.

Grabbing the push pin links for story pages is another bottom layer link but now I use the DM map (usually has all the same push pins) and leave it set on the bottom layer to pop up the story links.

Big thanks to Trenloe for the extension! This is one feature that makes me looking forward to FGU - for the built-in layering.