View Full Version : Latest Window updates causes crashes in FG

Pcuser
May 14th, 2018, 04:07
Window 10 Home Version 1803
installed 5/12/18
Intel i7
64 bit
FG version 3.3.5

2 times FG closed unexpectedly when clicking on Map in HotDQ DDen01 greenest map

restart resulted in STD Database / XML file error

Trenloe
May 14th, 2018, 04:37
1) Are you running any extensions?
2) Delete FantasyGrounds.exe from the FG application directory, usually C:\Program Files (x86)\Fantasy Grounds and then re-run an update application FantasyGroundsUpdater.exe from the same directory. See if this makes a difference.
3) If it doesn't change the issue. Have Windows Taskmanager running and keep an eye on the memory used by FantasyGrounds.exe If it's above 3GB use just before you open a big map, then you may need to close some modules/remove some shared tokens to save memory use. FG is a 32-bit application and will start to experience issues once memory use is in excess of 3GB.

ddavison
May 14th, 2018, 16:16
Unsharing stuff is generally wise and having too many items shared is a common cause of crashes and unresponsive behavior.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=23468&d=1526310969

Pcuser
May 15th, 2018, 01:45
Extensions
5e- Lan fonts wizard
D&D HotDQ desktop
DOE: Base V3
DOE: Sound V4

Mem 1,170.9MBs with just me on the server
Mem 1,559.8MBs with the Greenest player map opened with just me on the server.
Unloaded 6other shared images Renamed the Exe as requested and launched the updater
Mem after restart was 843.1MBs (likely just the files unloaded and not related to the exe)

Surly 64 bit would be the best feature FG could bring to market better than any new content. game changer!

LordEntrails
May 15th, 2018, 02:04
Surly 64 bit would be the best feature FG could bring to market better than any new content. game changer!
64 bit is already in development. It has been announced it will be released prior to FGU, but, no date set. I'm hoping sometime in the next 6 months.

Trenloe
May 15th, 2018, 02:34
Unloaded 6other shared images Renamed the Exe as requested and launched the updater
Mem after restart was 843.1MBs (likely just the files unloaded and not related to the exe)
It's unclear from this if the issue has occurred again or not? These memory use values are all well within acceptable limits.

shadzar
May 15th, 2018, 02:58
64 bit is already in development. It has been announced it will be released prior to FGU, but, no date set. I'm hoping sometime in the next 6 months.

you keep saying this, but what i saw last contradicts this...

We're looking into 64-bit client for FG Classic, but I won't know if it's possible until we verify we can rebuild all the libraries and updater to support. We're still discussing how that fits into our priorities.

Here’s the gist of my FGC 64-bit comment on Discord:

“...While I've worked on it a bit, it will probably be an "experimental" optional release, while 32-bit will remain the primary release. We use several third party libraries that are 10+ years old. They may not handle 64-bit well, and are not tested for this use by original third party creators.”

Basically, since the third party libraries are not code I wrote or understand in detail, nor are they designed/tested to work in 64-bit builds; we won’t know for sure what the issues are until they happen. Also, it doesn’t make sense to spend a whole bunch of time on this that can be used to move FGU forward. Thus, I proposed “experimental build” as an option.

Regards,
JPG

has there been newer info? i see a might be released, one day, maybe, but not a guarantee it will be released even in experimental prior to FGU.

as to the crashes, something that hasnt been asked/mentioned... do you have a lot of tokens in your tokens folder? they eat memory also.

Trenloe
May 15th, 2018, 03:50
something that hasnt been asked/mentioned... do you have a lot of tokens in your tokens folder? they eat memory also.

If it's above 3GB use just before you open a big map, then you may need to close some modules/remove some shared tokens to save memory use.
^^^

But, as I also mentioned earlier, the memory use listed in post #4 is well within acceptable limits - *if* FG is still crashing with similar memory use to that listed - then it probably something else.

Waiting for @Pcuser to confirm if the issue exists after re-updating the base FG executable and removing some shared material.

LordEntrails
May 15th, 2018, 04:19
has there been newer info? i see a might be released, one day, maybe, but not a guarantee it will be released even in experimental prior to FGU.
Yes, it was mentioned by Doug more recently in a FG Friday Stream.

Pcuser
May 16th, 2018, 02:31
Hello
I will be playing again with 5 on my server this coming week end Sat and I will let you know if the issue reoccurs and watch memory as well
I issue occurred when I had 5 on the server Last Sat (day after a Microsoft update friday)
Tokens, so I have only the tokens for the FG provided content from the DnD WotC that come with books or adventures. with no extra or 3Party sources. I am not sure how many that is in terms of a lot or how to give a count of the # of tokens
as I write this I am taking updates from FG that both touch HotDQ Mods … hmmm

I am glad to know that the dev team is grappling with 64 Bit and I would pay extra / more to have 64 bit if I meant I could still have all my existing AL DnD WotC content from FG and DMguild

hope the libraries work out or a solution presents itself to get the community to 64 bit.

Thank you for the time to help and comment. I feel like family

Pcuser
May 16th, 2018, 03:54
quick update
after the FG updates today that both touch HotDQ Mods
Mem way down 275.4 MBs
Nice

Pcuser
November 28th, 2018, 03:07
Hey checking back on 64bit version of FG any new info its Release
May 14th, 2018, 20:04 LordEntrails said 64 bit is already in development. It has been announced it will be released prior to FGU, but, no date set. I'm hoping sometime in the next 6 months."
I still believe that 64 bit would be the best feature FG could bring to market better than any new content and even better than FGU. a game changer! recommend the product team rethink this the TTM for this feature.

Next product question has FG ever considered partnership with white wolf on and mocked up any content or Rule sets Vampire the Masquerade

LordEntrails
November 28th, 2018, 03:24
Hey checking back on 64bit version of FG any new info its Release
May 14th, 2018, 20:04 LordEntrails said 64 bit is already in development. It has been announced it will be released prior to FGU, but, no date set. I'm hoping sometime in the next 6 months."
I still believe that 64 bit would be the best feature FG could bring to market better than any new content and even better than FGU. a game changer! recommend the product team rethink this the TTM for this feature.

Next product question has FG ever considered partnership with white wolf on and mocked up any content or Rule sets Vampire the Masquerade
Yep, my speculation proved to be completely wrong :)

At least one major issue was identified that resulted in the 64 bit version pretty much being unusable (i.e masking images caused crashes on the client side). I believe the effort to resolve the issue was identified enough to realize that it would require more resources than could be justified. I believe the current thought is we will have to wait until FGU to get a 64 bit version.

ddavison
November 28th, 2018, 13:56
The issue with the 64-bit makes it unusable for most people and it is a big unknown for us still - due to graphics library dependencies. We do plan to spend some additional time looking into this but we don't yet know if it will be resolvable in the amount of time we want to assign to it.

We have an agreement with White Wolf for Vampire V and we have the graphics and framework of a ruleset set up currently. MadBeardMan is working on the ruleset automation and back-end library building tools with Dan Alfaro, who is handling the graphics and eventually the data-entry for the content. We don't have an ETA at this time.

Pcuser
November 29th, 2018, 01:19
Thank you for the response Oh well based on the response let me say the Minimum Viable Product for the first FGU product Release should be existing features as 64 bit then in release 2 add new splashy ones cuz 64 bit is the best possible feature. Note I realize that will not happen because much is underway and promised by spoilers. but it does say Release what you have and add the rest later so we can have 64 bit .. I am being selfish here. any way thank you all for your diligence and willingness to share

Pcuser
November 29th, 2018, 01:24
Thank you for the response Very complex issues in SW development and TTM, ROI, Opportunity cost, cost of waiting all hard to balance. but it is clear to me from your 64bit response that you do listen to the users and so have the best possible information to make the informed decision about writing the most valuable software which will keep you an FG in business. Thanks for taking the time to inform.

I will look in to Vampire V and look forward to your release of it as well.
best wishes