PDA

View Full Version : Unable to find solutions to connection problem

JuergenSchT
May 13th, 2018, 11:27
EDIT: partially resolved

Original:
I bought Fantasy Grounds Ultimate on April last year to DM 5e for my friends. We held a total of 13 sessions of varying length and player number (1 session on LAN, the rest over the net). The last one was held on 1 September, we had to take a hiatus after that.
When we tried to resume playing this year, I found out that the connectivity test failed every time. Countless reboots of FG, my laptop and the router did not help. Connecting the laptop directly to the main router [it is usually connected to a secondary router acting as a wi-fi bridge] did not help either. A quick glance at the router settings showed that my (static) internal IP and the port opening on the router settings had not changed. I don't think any other setting on my systems have changed either.
So I tried reinstalling FG. It did not help. Then I tried changing the network settings from 'private' to 'public'. No help.
At this point I'm at my wits' end with no way to solve the problem. So I humbly come to these forums to seek help.

Some additional facts that might be useful:
- I run Windows 10. I bought and installed FG through Steam.
- The two routers are TP-LINK W8901G
- I always run FG (and everything else) on Ethernet.
- Me and my friends live in Peru. Apart from our group, I play with a couple of acquaintances on international groups. I've never had issues connecting to their servers.

Zacchaeus
May 13th, 2018, 13:01
Hi JuergenSchT welcome to FG and the community.

If it worked before and doesn't now then the usual culprits are:
Your internal IP has in fact changed (this can happen even if you have made a static IP) double check that the IP address of your computer is the same one that is showing on the FG start screen and that the one shown on the FG start screen is actually the IP address of your computer.
Your Network has been changed (possibly by a windows update) to public instead of private.
Your anti Virus software is blocking FG.

With two routers you'll possibly need to port forward one to the other and then to your computer. Your bridge may not be working as you expect.

If none of these is the issue can you do a tracert 8.8.8.8 and post the results for us to have a look at.

Gwydion
May 13th, 2018, 13:02
Welcome to the forum JuergenSchT. Sorry to hear about the connection problems. Always very frustrating. Can you run tracert 8.8.8.8 from the command prompt and post the results here. It might help the folks troubleshoot. It looks like your device is a modem/router so it doesn't appear that you have to forward through multiple devices. Also, what Antivirus to you use? You might check to make sure there is still a rule that is allowing FG through. Finally (for now), I would keep your network to private. Keep posting. We will definitely figure it out given you had it working at one point!

Edit: ninja'd by Zacchaeus! :)

Bidmaron
May 13th, 2018, 18:01
Don’t forget to check your network is private. Windows changes that setting often on update and even spontaneously for reasons unknown.

damned
May 13th, 2018, 22:37
Many South American ISPs no longer do port forwarding because they have run out of IPv4 addresses.

JuergenSchT
May 14th, 2018, 07:21
Your internal IP has in fact changed (this can happen even if you have made a static IP) double check that the IP address of your computer is the same one that is showing on the FG start screen and that the one shown on the FG start screen is actually the IP address of your computer.
Your Network has been changed (possibly by a windows update) to public instead of private.
With two routers you'll possibly need to port forward one to the other and then to your computer. Your bridge may not be working as you expect.
If none of these is the issue can you do a tracert 8.8.8.8 and post the results for us to have a look at.

Don’t forget to check your network is private. Windows changes that setting often on update and even spontaneously for reasons unknown.

Welcome to the forum JuergenSchT. Sorry to hear about the connection problems. Always very frustrating. Can you run tracert 8.8.8.8 from the command prompt and post the results here. It might help the folks troubleshoot. It looks like your device is a modem/router so it doesn't appear that you have to forward through multiple devices. Also, what Antivirus to you use? You might check to make sure there is still a rule that is allowing FG through. Finally (for now), I would keep your network to private. Keep posting. We will definitely figure it out given you had it working at one point!

The internal IP is the same I set up a year ago (as reported by /ipconfig and FG).
My network configuration was public during my sessions last year. I changed to private during the hiatus, and while trying to troubleshoot my server, I changed it back to public.
By the way, what is it about private networks that make FG go bananas? I've seen in quite a few threads.
I have always run Windows Defender, never had any issue with FG in the past.
The way I had set up the router was that I had an Ethernet cable run from the main to the secondary router (which was hooked directly to my laptop in the past), and from that secondary router (set up as wi-fi bridge) a second cable would run to my laptop. Said setup never gave me any issues, and while troubleshooting, I decided to connect directly to the main router (which is where the port has been opened).
When I first installed FG Ultimate, the connection test would fail every time without the port open. Which is why I opened it, and it worked since then.
Here is a tracert. I did it twice just in case:
https://i.imgur.com/1Ea0aHu.png
Thanks for the help.

Many South American ISPs no longer do port forwarding because they have run out of IPv4 addresses.
That would be a real pain in the neck.

damned
May 14th, 2018, 07:29
The internal IP is the same I set up a year ago (as reported by /ipconfig and FG).
My network configuration was public during my sessions last year. I changed to private during the hiatus, and while trying to troubleshoot my server, I changed it back to public.
By the way, what is it about private networks that make FG go bananas? I've seen in quite a few threads.
I have always run Windows Defender, never had any issue with FG in the past.
The way I had set up the router was that I had an Ethernet cable run from the main to the secondary router (which was hooked directly to my laptop in the past), and from that secondary router (set up as wi-fi bridge) a second cable would run to my laptop. Said setup never gave me any issues, and while troubleshooting, I decided to connect directly to the main router (which is where the port has been opened).
When I first installed FG Ultimate, the connection test would fail every time without the port open. Which is why I opened it, and it worked since then.
Here is a tracert. I did it twice just in case:
https://i.imgur.com/1Ea0aHu.png
Thanks for the help.

That would be a real pain in the neck.

FG doesnt care about your network being Private or Public.
Windows on the other hand will by default block all incoming connections on Public profile.

Your tracert suggests that the first 6 devices/routers/hops all have private IP addresses - which suggests you are unlikely to get it working without your ISPs assistance.

Have a look at this thread for some alternatives.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?43607-Port-Forward-Alternatives

JuergenSchT
May 16th, 2018, 15:55
Oh, bother. Thanks for the help, anyways.

Gwydion
May 16th, 2018, 16:08
Oh, bother. Thanks for the help, anyways.

Hey, JeuregenSchT. Don't give up hope! See the thread about alternatives to portforwarding. I've had success with several of them. Let us know if we can help you get going. Here is the thread:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?43607-Port-Forward-Alternatives

Gwydion
May 16th, 2018, 16:11
Hey, JeuregenSchT. Don't give up hope! See the thread about alternatives to portforwarding. I've had success with several of them. Let us know if we can help you get going. Here is the thread:

To follow up, ZeroTier is completely free and I believe Hamachi is as well, but you must have players download a small piece of software and connect. I'm happy to send you a small file with instructions to see if you can connect to the AlgoVPN server I set up as only you would need to use the VPN. It would be seamless to your players. If you pm me your email address, I can send you the .ps1 file with instructions and you should quickly be able to determine if it will work for you. I'm happy to let you use mine so that you don't have to go through the process of setting it up yourself (assuming it works for you).

Gwydion
May 20th, 2018, 19:01
Just a quick update. The OP was able to connect to my AlgoVPN instance today and get a successful test. He is going to try a session with his players to confirm, but it looks like this will work for him. Good to know that the AlgoVPN seems to work outside of the U.S (at least in Peru).

Scarbrow1
July 29th, 2018, 03:19
Hi JuergenSchT welcome to FG and the community.

All this time I have struggled with connection problems and have read through numerous posts about how I needed to modify my router or firewall, but in the end it was because my network was listed as public. The instant I changed it to private, the connection to FG worked. Thank you Zacchaeus. I was on the verge of dumping FG and now I don't have to.

Zacchaeus
July 29th, 2018, 09:19
All this time I have struggled with connection problems and have read through numerous posts about how I needed to modify my router or firewall, but in the end it was because my network was listed as public. The instant I changed it to private, the connection to FG worked. Thank you Zacchaeus. I was on the verge of dumping FG and now I don't have to.

Jolly good, happy gaming.